1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

phpBB version 2.0.18 released

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by minstrel, Oct 30, 2005.

Or, wait 24 to 48 hours and download the EasyMod compatible version here: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/catdb.php?cat=48

minstrel, Oct 30, 2005 IP
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
  3. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    Great information Minstrel - thanks!

If you're not sure what version you're running, the admin control panel of your PHPBB will tell you if you're not up-to-date. Near the bottom of the page there is a section that will look like this:

Version Information

wrmineo, Oct 30, 2005 IP
  4. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for the heads up dude.

mdvaldosta, Oct 30, 2005 IP
  5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    More info:

6. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I'm finding some errors in the EasyMod compatible "Code Changes" version... anyone else encountering this?

If there isn't an update at phpbb.com first, when I get time I'll debug the currently published version and post back here.

7. minstrel

Best Answers:
    phpBB this morning announced some omissions from the package released yesterday.

Download the amended package from http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=336756. If you have already installed the update, you will also find instructions there for installing the previously omitted updates.

minstrel, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  8. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Warning:

If you haven't yet updated, I suggest you wait a bit.

When I tried to install it yesterday using EasyMod, I got some errors. I didn't have time to go very far in investigating those errors last night.

However, this morning, first we get the notice about errors in the update release, and then in checking out the phpBB.com forums I find several threads about problems in upgrading. I am following this but my advice is wait until they get the update fixed. Some users are reporting broken mods, broken admin panels, or broken forums after updating - this isn't uncommon and usually means people have made errors in updating (one of the advantages of using EasyMod is that it doesn't insert typos), but given the announcement by the phpBB team I am not certain yet how much is user error and how much is update error.

vBulletin is looking better and better this morning :eek: :(

9. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:

It's taking you a few years but you're starting to see the light!;)

GuyFromChicago, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  10. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I'm a slow learner... :eek:

Actually, I'm a Taurus and therefore tenacious (some other Taurans are jes plain stubborn but that doesn't apply to me).

11. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    Check with your host's cpanel too. Many will not add the update to your options until they know it to be stable. One of mine already shows it available while another, one I've more faith in, has opt'd to wait it out like Minstrel is stating above, until they know it's "ready".

Great information and follow-up Minstrel - thanks!

Yes, vB is looking more worth the expense all the time

wrmineo, Oct 31, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  12. minstrel

Best Answers:
    They STILL have not finished the validation of the MOD version of the update.

I realize it's a large update with a lot of files but this is a rather long delay by normal standards... I'm not sure why.

minstrel, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  13. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    It's just an EM issue I assume, the mod files for applying the mod manually are ok?

I don't use EM, haven't updated yet only because it's such a big damn update this time and haven't found time yet.

mdvaldosta, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  14. minstrel

Best Answers:
    That's hard to say. There were some immediate bugs reported in the update and those were fixed next morning (for one thing, the package didn't include two files that needed editing). But I am still seeing a LOT of disaster stories posted [here.

As I said, that's not unusual and it usually turns out to be a case of human error in editing the files. What's unusual about this update is that it's a HUGE one, with a lot of lines to edit in a lot of different files - I suspect that increases the opportunity for human error. The phpBB team itself is recommending that you do it with EasyMod but the first release wazs generating errors and wouldn't install using EasyMod.

If you are comfortable with manually editing PHP files, go ahead (MAKE BACKUPS FIRST!!!). But I've decided to wait another day or two for the validated EasyMod version - I'm not convinced that they've identified all the bugs yet.

minstrel, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  15. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm just gonna hang out a while, to make sure everythings worked out. I'd hate doing all that work, only to re-upload the backed up files.

I used EasyMod when I first began using phpBB (back in version 2.0.11), and stopped using it when I installed a mod that conflicted with another. (many mods, especially on phpbbhacks aren't written with consideration to other potential mods), also at the time (dunno if it's still the case) EasyMod was only compatable with subSilver and many of the mods were written for that template as well.

mdvaldosta, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    No. The subSilver template needs to be installed along wioth any others because EM looks for that to update and then applies the same updates to all other installed templates. But I've used it on 5 or 6 forums with different templates and never had a problem that way.

There have been two updates of easyMod since the first release, by the way. I think the latest two versions have been pretty good, as long as the MODs conform to the phpBB specs.

There is of course no way to ensure that any one MOD out of the hundreds (thousands?) that are out there won't conflict with some other MOD, except by reading the MOD threads for bug reports and eventually trying it out on your own installation. That's why I think you should always apply MODs one at a time and wait a few days to throughly test it before adding another one. That way, if the MOD breaks anything, you simply roll it back using the EM automatic backup files to the way it was before the MOD was applied.

minstrel, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  17. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am having issues with the update on my biggest forums. Seems to have gone fine on 3 others but this one is just not running well. mysql hates the changes so far

RectangleMan, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  18. Peter_Rosado

Peter_Rosado Active Member

Best Answers:
    I updated my forum 10 minutes after the release was posted...it took me an hour to update, and another hour to fix the errors it gave me. :(

Peter_Rosado, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  19. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I understand this update does make some changes to the database.

I'm still holding off after my first attempt to update gave me errors and then I learned the first release of the update was botched - now after several days we still don't have a validated EasyMod version - that is very unusual and worries me.

minstrel, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  20. minstrel

Best Answers:
    In the email notification, it had this at the end of your reply:

Not sure why you deleted that but I'd agree... the delay in the release of a validated version makes me wonder if they haven't found more errors.

minstrel, Nov 3, 2005 IP