1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

phpbb problems

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Maxman, Jan 10, 2006.

I am currently running on phpbb. I launced (http://jetnation.com) about 10 months ago. Everything is running okay on most days and I have installed a bunch of mods. Generally I am happy.

BUT...there are days where the forum slows to a crawl. If I run a REPAIR TABLE on forums, posts, users, messages everything goes back to normal. I just upgraded the RAM from 1 gig to 2. We are on a dedicated server (Free BSD - P4, 2.8ghz, 100gig HD).

I have someone looking at MYSQL now to see if I can be tweaked at all. I also don't see any hardware failures. It is confusing why I have to run the REPAIR all the time, but it works.

Can anyone provide some suggestions on what to try? Thanks in advance. If I can't figure this out I am thinking of switching to VBULLETIN (we have 170,000 total posts).

Maxman, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  2. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    I get anywhere from 3k - 15k uniques per day on my phpbb forums and their always lightning... and I'm just on a VPS. Some of the things you can do to dramatically spead up the forums are to install the extreme styles mod which caches the templates served, upgrade to mysql 4.1 or newer that supports mysql caching, install eAccelerator on your server which caches php code, and even go farther and cache the mysql from the phpBB forum before it gets to the database (same guy Cyber Alien that did the Xtreme styles mod). Running 21 sites (4 phpBB forums, 1 Vbulletin, and the rest of the sites are all built in php and some use a database) my server load runs around 0.2 - 0.3 most of the time.

mdvaldosta, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  3. Maxman

Maxman Peon

Best Answers:
    WOW. Thank you. The only thing I couldn't find is the last mysql cache mod by CyberAlien. But I will try the others out.

Much appreciated!!!

Maxman, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The other thing I'd point out is this sounds like a MySQL problem rather than phpBB per se. Try doing at search for MySQL support on database slowdowns and solutions - this sort of thing has been reported previously and I've seen some suggestions that it may have to do withthe way MySQL is configured on your server.

If it is MySQL rather than phpBB, switching to vBulletin may make no difference. I think Shawn had a problem with MySQL slowdowns on this forum a while back.

minstrel, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  5. Maxman

Maxman Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank You! The only thing that has me thinking it is a phpbb issue is that the repair fixes it. But I agree and I don't want to switch from phpbb, I like it a lot!

I have gotten better answers in like 20 minutes here then I did in 6 months on phpbb.com! I will have to hang out here more often, I can learn a lot!

Thanks again.

Maxman, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  6. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    minstrel, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  7. Maxman

Maxman Peon

Best Answers:
    Awesome info. Much appreciated!

Maxman, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  8. Maxman

Maxman Peon

Best Answers:
    Guys just want to say thanks again. I have applied most of the recommendations here (except the php eAccelerator) which hopefully will go in tomorrow.

I have seen some improvement. But I still have to run the repair to speed things up...weird. At least this time I scripted it out so now I don't have to type each table name.

Going to check out the MYSQL link as well. We had tried some my.cnf changes, hopefully we can find something else.

Really appreciate the suggestions guys!

Maxman, Jan 24, 2006 IP