1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PHPBB- Im confused..

Discussion in 'phpBB' started by immortality, Jan 19, 2007.

Im at the install screen for phpbb and it wants my database username/name/password. I made a new database in my control panel for my hosting and its named username_phpbb. What am I supposed to put for the database name and database username? I put the name as phpbb and the username as what my username is but its tells me "Could not connect to the database".

When I try to install it I get the following errors along with the database error:

Whats going on there?

immortality, Jan 19, 2007 IP
  2. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    I'm not a phpBB fan but hey, Google is our best friend, remember :)
    Whenever you get these warnings and error messages, copy and paste them into Google and you'll get directions to other people having the same issues and possible solutions to them. Make sure to exclude any bits that are specific to your installation. Example:

I searched for :
    "forums/db/mysql4.php on line 330"
    And found:
    http://dhost.info/forums/index.php?showtopic=1711&st=30

Clive, Jan 19, 2007 IP
  3. chopsticks

chopsticks Active Member

Best Answers:
    Simple, just put the username and password for the database and it should work. Those details should be able to be found on your sites Control Panel somewhere close to where you can create the databases.

chopsticks, Jan 19, 2007 IP
  4. immortality

immortality Peon

Best Answers:
    Im pretty sure I was using the right one but it doesnt let me use them.

As to the warning things on line XXX I looked it up on google but it doesnt give me much info on them... unless google hates me.

5. chopsticks

chopsticks Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, the first error is because it can't connect and the 2nd and 3rd i'm assuming are because there is no connection to use. What Control Panel are you using for your site?

6. immortality

immortality Peon

Best Answers:
    I have no idea what the control panel is. Im positive im using the right username and name for databases but it doesnt like them.

Show/Hide Help

The table below contains all SQL databases you have created. You can see the database names (respectively their username) and the amount of database space used.

How do I configure my scripts to connect to my database?
    You have to set the following data into your scripts and web applications so that they can connect to your database:

Database type:

MySQL 4.x
    Database server:

supremecenter44.com
    Server port:

Database name:

your database name
    Database username:

your database name
    Database password:

your database password

Important: Remote database connections are not allowed due to security reasons!

How do I change the password of a database?
    You can change the password of an existing database by clicking on the icon. The password should be no longer than 16 characters. Remember to set the new password in the script configuration as well, otherwise your applications will not be able to connect to the database!

How do I delete a database?
    If you would like to delete a certain database, simply click on the icon on the right of the database name. Be careful, your web applications that require it will stop functioning properly!

What is the MySQL quota?
    Your databases have a limited file quota in megabytes - the MySQL quota, which is shared between all the databases that you have created in your account. If your databases pass the allowed quota, they will become unreachable by your scripts and web applications. You should either free some space by deleting database contents, or order additional MySQL Quota from the Upgrade Services section of the Control Panel.

Tip: If you click on a database name, you will be quickly redirected to the phpMyAdmin login area.

Hide Help
    # Database Name / Database Username Size Change Password Delete
    1 unnstoppa_phpbb 0 KB
    2 unnstoppa_ads 16 KB

Thats what my database thing looks like.

7. chopsticks

chopsticks Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, if your database details are listed on a webpage on your Control Panel and your copying them to the Installation Page for phpBB make sure there are no white spaces in the password you copy. For example instead of having "cheese" for the password, when you copy it and paste it it instead is pasted as " cheese" thus making it not work.

8. powwka

powwka Peon

Best Answers:
    Does it ask for the host name/address? I think it asked for mine when I installed it, and by default it was "localhost" but I had to change it. You might have to change yours (possibly to "supremecenter44.com"?)

powwka, Jan 19, 2007 IP
  9. immortality

immortality Peon

Best Answers:
    Im typing it all in manually.

I tried that, it doesnt work. It asks for Your Database Name, Database Username, and Database Password.