1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

phpbb 2.0.21 problem with spam bots

Discussion in 'phpBB' started by arxidakas, May 20, 2007.

I am the main administrator of a forum with phpbb 2.0.21
    I have enabled both the mail verification and the captcha protection but this is not enough,,,,

Everyday i have to delete more 30 bots and many spam bot posts...any suggestions for countering the problem ?

arxidakas, May 20, 2007 IP
  2. petehols

petehols Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you goto phpbb there is a mod that you can install to stop the spam bots. I have tried it on one of my smaller forums and it seems to have done the job. Can't remember the name off the top of my head but will have a look for the mod and let you know.

Pete

petehols, May 22, 2007 IP
  3. Karen May Jones

Karen May Jones Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That's not even the current release. Hey, you'll need some modifications. The ones I've found helpful are the ones that hide non activated members; remove profile options on registration; and no posting hotlinks until X amount of posts. Please upgrade you code to 2022 version before doing any modifications to your board.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=323954

Karen May Jones, May 22, 2007 IP
  4. inworx

inworx Peon

Best Answers:
    or possibly 3.0 RC1

inworx, May 23, 2007 IP
  5. kapengbarako

kapengbarako Peon

Best Answers:
    use the Textual COnfirmation Bots, it blocked 99% of spam registrations in my forum

kapengbarako, May 25, 2007 IP
  6. ThatForumPlace

ThatForumPlace Peon

Best Answers:
    agreed - the timing is perfect, just update to 3.0RC1 - you'll not only have stronger defenses against spam bots, but a ton of other great new features.

If you do stick with 2.021 or 2.022, have a look at the third link in my sig - I have listed links to about 30 anti-spam mods for phpbb

ThatForumPlace, May 25, 2007 IP