1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

phpBay vs BANS

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by aix4200, Aug 31, 2008.

can anyone suggests which is one is good out of phpbay and BANS.

i heard some scary things about BANS, google is not indexing BANS site.

:confused:

aix4200, Aug 31, 2008 IP
  2. drax2006

drax2006 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think they are both good, both have pros and cons. Google is not de-indexing BANS sites - its de-indexing thin affiliate sites. In other words, dont just stick up a vanilla flavoured BANs site (or PHP bay, or any other EBay script) - add some relevant content - this is really important. Also dont believe the hype about .info domains being sandboxed either - its not the domain or software its all about content. Personally I prefer Bans, but I think oth are good

drax2006, Aug 31, 2008 IP
  3. aix4200

aix4200 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thanks.

i am looking for not just using ebay but want option to keep option open for everything (cj,amazon ) not just only ebay and i am not sure if phpbay can do all or BANS .

aix4200, Aug 31, 2008 IP
  4. drax2006

Best Answers:
    Try Joomla and rss feeds - check my blog in my sig for more info. It will work

drax2006, Aug 31, 2008 IP
  5. aix4200

Best Answers:
    Thanks i am aware of joomla and yes there are tons of site offering Joomla templates, but i am afraid there wouldn't be any support available ,so if i get stuck with some simple but very important step somewhere it would be like sea surfing at your own without any one to help you .

with phpBay and BANS i am sure if i am stuck somewhere i will get help here at dp :)

Joomla is an option for me to try on some point but right now i am comparing BANS and phpBay.

aix4200, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  6. aix4200

Best Answers:
    btw, i have been to your blog and i can tell you that's really a big help for beinners so thanks for the great work !

i must say it is outstanding

aix4200, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  7. SFOD_D223

SFOD_D223 Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe Mr Wade is working on an amazon and Joomla component to the phpBay script. So if this where you are leaning, keep in mind that more functionality is to come.

SFOD_D223, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  8. aix4200

Best Answers:
    thanks ...right now i am leaning towards phpBay.. because i am familiar with wordpress and as per my understanding with limited knowledge i believe phpBay is more flexible then BANS

aix4200, Sep 1, 2008 IP
    GTech likes this.
  9. potentmix

potentmix Peon

Best Answers:
    I use both. The one thing, IMO, that favors BANS is that it automatically pre-populates your site with relevant product pages. With phpbay, you have to hand-construct each product page. That's not to say that you don't have to pump a lot of additional content into your pages regardless of which you use.

Both have active forums where you can get a lot of help. Beyond that, many of us are integrating WordPress with BANS. Not that hard to do, once you get the hang of it, and there's a lot of help in the BANS forum on how to do it. I'm no longer using the "out of the box" BANS templates in favor of WP/BANS integration.

potentmix, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  10. drax2006

Best Answers:
    Thanks Aix - nice 2 know that someone gets some inspration from my perspiration. More to come soon

drax2006, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  11. aix4200

Best Answers:
    potentmix,

hmmm...i didn't get that :

With phpbay, you have to hand-construct each product page. That's not to say that you don't have to pump a lot of additional content into your pages regardless of which you use.

can i see some site running BANS so i can watch this in action

aix4200, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  12. SFOD_D223

SFOD_D223 Peon

Best Answers:
    lol, i didn't understand that one either. I've been using the phpBay product in both "php" and Wordpress mode and since i do add my own unique content to my WP blogs all of my content is relevant and google loves relevancy. So any posts you see either at my blog or my other auctions sites, the keywords follow the post content and the auction listings are pulled directy from the ebay categories. No gimmicks, no tricks.

SFOD_D223, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  13. Brent S

Brent S Peon

Best Answers:
    As the title says, I use both. I think it depends on the presentation you want. If you want a blog format then phpBay. If you want a store, then BANS.

You know that you can do a combo? Go to my sig and read. It may or may not help. But if your just looking for info, it won't hurt.

Brent S, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  14. aix4200

Best Answers:
    Brent,

thanks for info., well i can say it's getting more interesting. More i look for information more deeper it gets.As you mentioned if a blog format is needed i should use phpBay. I am looking for store format and a supporting blog as well , i think this can be done using phpBay as well.

can anybody comment on this if i this is doable thing using phpBay.

thanks !

aix4200, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  15. Brent S

Brent S Peon

Best Answers:
    Well you can combine the 2. The BANS Store that is in my signature has BANs upfront and a blog in a root directory. You can do it the other way as well. However, you have to really re-work the wordpress template. I know where you can buy the templates, which is what I would have to do. That type of rework is out of my league.

But it is possible either way.

Brent S, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  16. aix4200

Best Answers:
    Thanks Brent.

can you PM me some info. on where to buy templates ? that's the next item in my list and i already spend enough hours searching for template that i am looking for ?

aix4200, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  17. mcjp6

mcjp6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    another example of a bans wordpress integration is at mmxiiolympics.com, this is a free wordpress template running with bans intergrated, took around ten minutes to put together, its not really live yet, no affil links as I am not yet sure PJ or EPN.

but it just shows how the two can run together very well. the template needs some tweaking and content etc.

mcjp6, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  18. cylai

cylai Peon

Best Answers:
    :confused: I don't know why you made this judgement. Personally, my BANS sites are always getting SE traffic. Of course, I did more work on my sites. I actually spent time building unique contents, including buying tips, video guide, tutorial etc. SE loves unique and relevence contents. If you provide good user experience, SE will reward you regardless of if you are using BANS or not.

I own both Phpbay and BANS. If you are a total beginner, I'd recommend BANS.
    If u need more helps feel free to PM me.

cylai, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  19. aix4200

Best Answers:
    I like your site. Thanks for putting some input here.

Thing that worries me is finding some help like you mentioned using wordpress template with BANS. can you explain this to me or pm me if you want to. I understand what Brent explained about using both but what i like most is what you did on your site.... really nice integration of BANS and wordpress, i want to use wordpress template myself.

aix4200, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  20. cylai

cylai Peon

Best Answers:
    hey aix4200,
    I understand that you wanna use Wordpress as they got index quickly. From my experience, Wordpress alone won't get your sites get index quickly. Frequently updated sites with unique contents will attract SE love whether you use Wordpress or not.

Hope this helps.

cylai, Sep 3, 2008 IP