1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PHP + Web Dev Beginner, advice?

Discussion in 'PHP' started by TimJames, Jun 29, 2013.

Hey Guys, I'm a new member and I've only recently gotten into the mind frame of really wanting to stop saying "I want to learn web developing" and actually do it. I have virtually small amounts of experience with web development (besides HTML) and I would struggle to point out the services I'd need.

My question, is there any advice you could give me about where to begin and what I NEED to know before I learn a language? I know about PHP and it's uses, such as login pages and the "mechanics" of the website I guess. CSS for the layout/design and html for the basic display etc.

End Goals
    I've had the idea of creating my own music website, including a Chatbox, Forum, tracks for sale etc and would love to work on this as a project as it's an ambition of mine in a sense.

Sorry if it seems like a very amateur post, I wanted to add in information that would help give you guys/gals a rough idea on my plans and such. Coming from being a Technician to also doing Web Design is a task i'm looking forward too.

Thanks, Tim.

TimJames, Jun 29, 2013 IP
  2. aidanriley629

aidanriley629 Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi TimJames,

All of the things you've listed can be done in PHP. There are also many pre-made chats and forums that you don't have to code yourself, but I don't discourage you from making your own. PHP will take you the longest and will be the most difficult to learn out of HTML/CSS/PHP, but it will also be the most rewarding. Send me a PM if you need any more info.

aidanriley629, Jun 30, 2013 IP
  3. TimJames

TimJames Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your response Aidan, I actually didn't know that PHP could do all of those things, I knew that CSS/PHP & HTML could all be meshed into one script by opening and closing sections of code but PHP doing the lot would actually be better.

TimJames, Jun 30, 2013 IP
  4. aidanriley629

aidanriley629 Banned

Best Answers:
    Well, the three work in conjunction with one another. Like you said above, CSS is for design, HTML for layout and structure and PHP for advanced dynamic capabilities. What I meant by PHP can perform all the things you listed above was that you wouldn't have to use another language like Javascript if you don't want to, although some things are quicker and/or easier to do in Javascript.

aidanriley629, Jun 30, 2013 IP
  5. Strider64

Strider64 Member

Best Answers:
    I say JQuery(JavaScript) for the bling or (HTML5 using Canvas), CSS for the design and PHP for things that need to be done on the server side (databases for example). Or php for people you know might have JavaScript turned-off, although that is becoming rare today. Just my .02cents

Strider64, Jul 1, 2013 IP
  6. aidanriley629

aidanriley629 Banned

Best Answers:
    ::thumbsup::
    Sometimes I use PHP just so the user can't go through my script. OP: Javascript is client-side (they can read the script if they want) and PHP is server side (it just outputs HTML in the end).

aidanriley629, Jul 1, 2013 IP
  7. TimJames

TimJames Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah that's true, I know that PHP is a really good source for securing your code also, I probably will end up learning Javascript, but I don't really think i'll be using it all that much

TimJames, Jul 4, 2013 IP