1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Php VS Asp

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Dolin, Dec 3, 2007.

Hi which is better for a quick start Php or Asp. They both produce the same results. So which is better?

Dolin, Dec 3, 2007 IP
  2. serialCoder

serialCoder Guest

Best Answers:
    i think both have strengths and weaknesses, but having bias since i love PHP, i vote for... well PHP :)

serialCoder, Dec 3, 2007 IP
  3. multippt

multippt Peon

Best Answers:
    In my opinion, PHP is better because it is supported across many platforms. Though, both are quite easy to learn and are similar.

multippt, Dec 3, 2007 IP
  4. s4salman

s4salman Peon

Best Answers:
    I also support php, as when i started to learn ASP, i left it and now i know too much php.

s4salman, Dec 3, 2007 IP
  5. Dolin

Dolin Banned

Best Answers:
    I think asp is quicker. I try installing php and the procedure is so difficult. I got my asp running already with one click installation from microsoft. And my web pages visible on my desktop. However there are more free webhosts supporting php.

Dolin, Dec 3, 2007 IP
  6. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are talking about php -v- classic ASP then I would go for PHP

If you are talking about PHP -v- ASP.Net then I would say that .Net hands down as it is quicker to develop, quicker to run and more powerful out of the box

AstarothSolutions, Dec 3, 2007 IP
  7. Barti1987

Barti1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They both suck. Use HTML...

Peace,

Barti1987, Dec 3, 2007 IP
  8. adam.weiner

adam.weiner Peon

Best Answers:
    I like the php and html and javascript combo...put these together and you can make a great site

adam.weiner, Dec 3, 2007 IP
  9. nishanthe

nishanthe Peon

Best Answers:
    PHP is better, because...
    1. PHP is free
    2. PHP has better community support than ASP
    3. PHP has native support for MySQL
    4. Many many free add-ons
    5. Hosting is cheap
    6. PHP5 is Object Oriented
    7. PHP is faster

nishanthe, Dec 3, 2007 IP
  10. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    1) The vast majority of PCs have windows which is all you require to run ASP so there is no additional cost
    2) Yes, PHP does have a greater community
    3) ASP supports MySQL without any problems as well as plenty of other SQL servers
    4) There are free add-ons for .Net however it has a lot more out of the box than PHP, surely this is better?
    5) In most cases there is no price difference in hosting between the two esp if it is with MySQL rather than MS SQL
    6) .Net is true OOP
    7) .Net is precompiled and certainly faster both for programming and running

AstarothSolutions, Dec 4, 2007 IP
  11. clickon

clickon Guest

Best Answers:
    i think for the start Asp.net is more easy because u can use the Visual Studio IDE

clickon, Dec 4, 2007 IP
  12. SolomonZhang

SolomonZhang Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to disagree with both statements.

For no.5 If you are talking about VPS or dedicated it's true that there is almost no difference. However if you are talking about shared hosting, then, most cases windows hosting is more expensive. Sometimes it's double in priced with the same disk space and bandwidth. I know, because I've done a research on this. Furthermore, some windows hosting support MSSQL only, and Microsoft charge databases per license and per users, so basically the hosting is charging it down to the customers. Making it terribly expensive compared to linux/unix hosting.

For no.7 Most .net are poorly programmed (don't know why) I mean it just can't extend beyond the framework. I guess this is the fault of the programmers skills. Thus, most .net runs heavier than php because it needs to pass the framework. Believe me that is an extra load to a server, especially if you are not using dedicated. Thus, you can't get the max power of your hosting.

SolomonZhang, Dec 5, 2007 IP
  13. ashrafweb

ashrafweb Member

Best Answers:
    choosing is hard
    asp is good but when you go advanced you will see how poor is it!!:mad::mad:
    php is so good and when you go advanced you will see how Ritch is it

i have two portals i program them with my hands:D :
    1- asp portal: Example>> http://www.e-msjed.com
    2- php sub_portal: Example>> http://www.pf4it.com
    give me your comments

ashrafweb, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  14. Gawk

Gawk Peon

Best Answers:
    I use both but my vote is for PHP

Gawk, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  15. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    I would maintain that in most cases there is little difference in hosting prices. Yes there are some hosts that do over charge for Windows hosting but then why go for them? Look at some of the big hosts, and whilst I wouldnt recommend using them the likes of Go Daddy dont charge any differently for *nix or Windows. The days of large price differences went a few years ago - windows servers are more expensive but *nix are more popular so general rules of supply and demand have equaled out their pricing.

Think most is a bit harsh but I agree that a lot of sites could be programmed better both in .net and php. You cannot blame poor programming on the programming language though, if you did then you could easily blame php for being so much more tolerant of errors in code and therefore storing up issues for the future, displaying source code due to miss configuration of the server etc.

AstarothSolutions, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  16. Kaizoku

Kaizoku Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    asp seems to perform better on Windows while php seems to perform better on linux. This is just my opinion.

Kaizoku, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  17. mahmood

mahmood Guest

Best Answers:
    That was a good one.:D
    Would you post the HTML script that connects to the database.;)

mahmood, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  18. HPA

HPA Notable Member

Best Answers:
    PHP all the way.
    Because there are vast amount of scripts available on PHP platform, such as Forums, CMS, shopping Carts etc etc

HPA, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  19. gonka

gonka Peon

Best Answers:
    PHP is more popular for small sites and open source communities. With the number of available scripts out there, if you want to put up a site quickly, PHP is certainly my first choice.

However, if you are a large corporation, starting a large project, usually ASP.net is your better choice. Not because its better, but rather it is a commercial product, it has better customer/technical support for Microsoft. A more complete platform presented to you as a solution.

Think of it this way, if you are a programmer, when you get a difficult problem, would you rather blame on PHP or just tell your boss you are still waiting answers from Microsoft technical support :_)

So I would say both programs are good, they just fit different user groups.

gonka, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  20. SolomonZhang

SolomonZhang Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't blame the skills. I blame .NET Framework. It's heavy. The server needs to "execute" twice, the framework and then the resulted codes from framework. If you compare sites with 100,000 visitors monthly (which is very normal) between php vs .NET, those with .net will take more bandwidth and heavier execution. With 500,000 visitors monthly, it would might break down on shared hosting.

You can feel this when you are with dial up. .net is heavy. Those msn.com and microsoft official websites are crazily heavy on dial up compared those with the same function on PHP.

SolomonZhang, Dec 7, 2007 IP