1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PHP memory of 256mb Max

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by imza86, Nov 1, 2016.

Hi , recently i encountered a few problems with my site. It is due to PHP memory of 256mb, my hosting is hostgator shared hosting. They said i already exceeded.

May i know what cause my site to exceed the PHP memory limit ? Is having too much websites in my hosting the cause? Since my plan is unlimited domain, i have quite a number of websites in the hosting.

If i delete a few websites, will it help ? Thanks!

imza86, Nov 1, 2016 IP
  2. webhostpython

webhostpython Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

It is your actual website that is hitting the 256MB limit that they've imposed. You can try to reduce image sizes and/or 'blocks' of content. That usually reduces the amount of php memory that your script is calling for. If it is a specific plugin, you can try to see what hat plugin is doing that is causing so much memory usage, and then disable the functions of that plugin that require so much memory.

So for example, if you're getting these errors when visiting your homepage, you may want to check the php script to see how many images its calling for, and reduce that number Or, reduce the quality of the images themselves

The problem is not from having too many websites. It's directly related to the specific website giving that error

webhostpython, Nov 1, 2016 IP
  3. imza86

imza86 Member

Best Answers:
    How do i know which plugin uses so much memory ?

imza86, Nov 1, 2016 IP
  4. webhostpython

webhostpython Member

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately that's going to be much harder to find since you don't have root access to the server. You may want to contact them and see if they can help you find the plugin that's consuming so much memory. Many web hosting companies (like ourselves) will be more than willing to give you this information and work with you on trying to reduce the memory consumption.

You can start investigating by seeing where you're getting the errors. Are you getting them on the front page? If so, what plugins are active on the front page? Then you can try disabling each plugin one by one, refresh the page, then disable another, and keep doing this until you see no errors. That will let you know where the problem is.
    An easy way to do this would be to open an FTP client and go to your plugins folder. rename the plugins one by one, testing your website each time to see if you see the error. If you don't see the error, you rename the folder back to the original name. This will help you with your limited tools

webhostpython, Nov 1, 2016 IP
  5. UnderHost_MSA

UnderHost_MSA Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nowadays most shared hosting allow you to update these value directly on your account, 256MB is a bit low as example we use 512MB as default and client can update that value up to 2048MB

Cyber monday is coming soon might be the time to start shopping around and get you moved out of hostgator.

UnderHost_MSA, Nov 3, 2016 IP