1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PHP LINK Directory and its sucktastic verification code

Discussion in 'Solicitations & Announcements' started by aeiouy, Aug 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I have come to accept verification codes. They are necessary and a way of life... but how come every time I come across a PHP Link Directory site I want to kill myself before I am done trying to guess the right code. And guessing it is what is required. I don't struggle or have a problem with 100s and 1000s of other verification codes, but every time I come across one of these directories it is a nightmare.

Potentially it has a lot to do with me being color-blind, but that is regardless, they suck, and they are unnecessarily difficult to use. They are no more safe from being botted than anyone else. So why does it have to be impossible to figure out?

Edit: This was triggered by a directory that is clearly not working after trying it 100 times.. But I still stand behind it, because I have had nothing but trouble with one specific directory and verification code. Nothing else has ever been a problem. So there.. :)

Double Edit: Seems part of the problem is the horrible feedback it gives as well. If you have a a recipricoal link listed but don't check the box it just kicks it back with no response. And also if you have cookies turned off it rejects any code you enter as being invalid.

Just very user-unfriendly submission.

aeiouy, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I would agree that for people who have some visual impairment or color blindness there should always be an alternative (i.e., a form to email the directory owner with the submission details). In defense of PHPLD, I think they are still working on that feature -- but yes, it does still need some work.

minstrel, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  3. Jim_Westergren

Jim_Westergren Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have disabled it on mine, yes it is horrible.

Jim_Westergren, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  4. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I'm not using it on mine either. I think there are some font upgrades that are supposed to help but I haven't tried tham.

5. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Being an open source project, we depend on the the help of others.
    Help is always appreciated.

dvduval, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  6. blinxdk

blinxdk Peon

Best Answers:
    The hardest I've ever tried was msn passport, I'm colourblind too and just couldn't figure out what I should write. I then tried the audio file they had for download, but couldn't understand what it was saying.

blinxdk, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  7. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't mean to bash the directory project as a whole.. Just that verification issue.. And funny someone mentioned an alternative font, one of them was actually worse because it did things that made me have no idea what was a c, o, 0, d etc..

Anyways, I am not bashing the software, just a very specific aspect of it. :)

aeiouy, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  8. dejaone

dejaone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    php link script is a good directory script except the verification code piece.

dejaone, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  9. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    Im not colour blind but i just hated the way it looked myself...

mightyb, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  10. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'll make sure improvements are made. I do appreciate the feedback.
    Right now, we are having some issues with the WebSVN (change tracker), and it has caused a bit of a stall. Once we get that straightened out, I'll make this one a high priority.
    Thanks,
    David

dvduval, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    It IS a good directory script. There are still a couple of bugs to be worked out in the latest release and not a lot of people to do the work but it's still a very good script -- judging by what the programmers have done with it to date, I've no doubt this is just a little dip in the road.

12. meilinlighting

meilinlighting Peon

Best Answers:
    It's very valuable

meilinlighting, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  13. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    dvduval,

in addition to the verification issue, there is also a small issue with the scripts cross-browser compatibility (Opera 7.54 is one browser that doesn't render the site correctly - the "submit link" row of links is not visible).

silencer, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  14. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As a result of the popularity of the script, we have not been able to keep up with all of requests for support and mods. Right now, we have a problem with the version control (websvn), and are trying to repair that. Once that is complete, we will start prioritizing the requests. If anyone has experience with WebSVN or knows someone who has experience, please let me know.

dvduval, Aug 29, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I don't have sufficient expertise with PHP or Smarty to be able to contribute much to fixing the known bugs. I also think at some point you're going to have to decide on what are to be the basic features of the directory software and say, "Here is phpLD, version X"... and then let the users and the open source community create MODs for additional features. It seems to me as an observer at your support forum that too many people are saying, "I want this feature - make it for me" and that is perhaps distracting the development team from debugging some of the more basic features in the curent release (which is why I am still using RC4 - RC5.x is not yet a stable release from my observations). I'd like to see the team shift the focus to the basic features and away from enhancements.

Just my opinion, of course.

minstrel, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  16. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have to agree with you Minstrel. This is one reason I've somewhat "stood back" to look as more of an outside observer in recent days. I'm trying continue to develop the best strategy, and I agree that mods need to be put on hold until we have a version that we calling final.

dvduval, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  17. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yup. Get the stability and basic features out of the way first. Might be an idea to take note of all the enhancements others want then get to them once you've rolled out the vanilla version. Then you can work on the chocolate with sprinkles later.

It's a good looking script and obviously widely used and popular. Stick with it :)

silencer, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  18. SaN-DeeP

SaN-DeeP Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    dvduval,
    I appreciate your time and efforts for keeping up very good free resource for us.

I will be installing your software script very soon on couple of websites + our portal (in my sig) very soon.

Warm Regards,

SaN-DeeP, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  19. emz

emz Peon

Best Answers:
    I coded my own directory so I didn't have to settle for less

emz, Aug 29, 2005 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.