1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

php help - list/columns that sort

Discussion in 'PHP' started by branduin, Aug 18, 2004.

Hi,

I am trying to create a small site with some rows and columns that will be sortable by the column headings. I found a site that does this with php but I am unsure of how to go about doing it since I know very little about php. This is the site:

http://www.strongestlinks.com/directories.php

I would like to have a simlilar setup with the ability to click a column heading to sort by that column.

If anyone has a tiny bit of patience and can help me out, or if you could refer me to a site that would explain how to do this, that would be awesome!

I do know html (by-hand or using DW) but just haven't used php for anything yet. I pick up on new things pretty well so I'm hoping I can make this site with a little help from you professionals!

Thanks a bunch,
    Branduin

branduin, Aug 18, 2004 IP
  2. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    Without trying to assay the actual problem, I'd say this: just think of it as a programming task, and decide how you'd do it with whatever language (programming or scripting) you're familiar with.

Then go to the PHP online manual and look for the functions that correspond to those in your rough draft. You'll find that it's not hard to locate them, and that by and large they "fit" with most any common language you're likely to already know.

Owlcroft, Aug 18, 2004 IP
  3. branduin

branduin Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for replying Owlcroft :)

My main problem is where to start. I don't know programming other than html so I am not familiar with functions or any of that. This project may be over my head for now but I just wanted to see if I could get pointed in the right direction to get started on it.

Thanks,
    Branduin

branduin, Aug 19, 2004 IP
  4. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah. PHP is really a programming language. You would be best off to delve into some resource that explains the basics of programming, then return to this sort of project.

You can do a number of fairly straightforward things with PHP without much programming knowledge, but for more complex tasks, well, it's writing a program (even if we call it a "script").

Owlcroft, Aug 19, 2004 IP