1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Perl or PHP based SSH client

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by Sholva, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I'm thinking about writing myself a web based ssh client that will connect to my sshd locally via my webserver.

You might wonder why... but occasionally I'm accessing the net somewhere from a location that only has http proxy access and doesn't necessarily allow CONNECT method other than for https ports.

So for the occasional times I've wanted raw access to my server I'm going to write something to do it.

I was thinking of using some kind of ajax interface and obviously the client<->webserver will need to be encrpyted otherwise it would be pointless as telnet.

Has anyone actually seen anything like this before? I haven't really tried a lot of "Control Panels" for server admin so I don't know if this feature is offered in any of those products.

Sholva, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  2. Slapyo

Slapyo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Slapyo, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  3. Sholva

Sholva Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, even though that kinda rules out the fun of making the back end. Although I still may like to make a Perl version.

I suppose that leaves me more time to be creative with the interface.

Sholva, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  4. prax

prax Peon

Best Answers:
    if you don't want to install client software/ssl certificates on your server, you might also want to check out www.serfish.com for free web access to your ssh servers. have fun!

prax, Mar 30, 2008 IP
  5. rlparker

rlparker Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry, but I think this is a decidedly bad suggestion! Even "assuming no malice", ignoring the fact that it was posted in response to a long dead thread, and giving the poster the benefit of the doubt (maybe this is just a truly clueless newbie who is genuinely trying share something he *thinks* is a "good thing"), it is absolutely dangerous to use a "service" such as this to access your shell.

Hell, even if you choose to ignore the "fish" in the title, and *want* to believe that your data is safe, a little look at the TOS ought to raise a big ugly warning in your mind:

"All data that is sent by the consoleFISH goes through our servers where it is available in unencrypted form. We only log information on the sessions opened through the consoleFISH (such as IP addresses and accessed server names) for statistical purposes. The sensible data you send through our system (such as passwords and console commands) is not being logged. We will not disclose any data to third parties unless they have the legal right of access."

Uh huh .. right ... sure ... anything you say. If you ignore the inherent security risk in such a scheme and decide you can trust these folks, you *might* not have a problem. Then again, you might. If you are concerned about it at all (and particularly if you *were* to experience a "problem"), you might want to look at the whois info to try to contact these guys, so let's just do that now ...

Registrant:
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    DomainsByProxy.com
    15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
    Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
    United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
    Domain Name: SERFISH.COM
    Created on: 26-Feb-08
    Expires on: 26-Feb-09
    Last Updated on: 26-Feb-08

Administrative Contact:
    Private, Registration SERFISH.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    DomainsByProxy.com
    United States
    (480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2599

Technical Contact:
    Private, Registration SERFISH.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    DomainsByProxy.com
    United States
    (480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2599

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS33.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
    NS34.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

Now that's comforting. Brand new, a single year's registration, and "private" at that ... and you are supposed to use them to access your shell? Do yourself, and others on your shared server, a big favor and "just say no" to this one folks!

--rlparker

rlparker, Apr 4, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.