1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Penalty For Missing Jury Duty

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Rebecca, Dec 27, 2009.

Does any one know the when, how, and why they made penalties for missing jury duty? I received a notice today saying I need to appear in Federal Court and the trial will last for about a week.

On the letter it says, "Failure to report to court as instructed may result in contempt of court, and you may be fined $1,000, imprisoned three days, ordered to perform community service, or any combination thereof, for noncompliance."

I knew prior to this that there are penalties for not appearing, though with this new summons, I started wondering how that all came to be. Has anyone ever actually been thrown in jail for missing jury duty?

Rebecca, Dec 27, 2009 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  2. Truth777

Truth777 Peon

Best Answers:
    I know of people who never responded to those mails and never got penalized.... but you never know.
    I guess they mail to hundreds of people and whoever shows up for duty is from the "chosen ones".

Truth777, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  3. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    It's just far. For federal court you have to drive to the state capital. I've been called for jury duty before, and was excited about it - but now just doesn't seem like a good time. It will require getting up really early as well, and I never get up before 10. So, it's just a little inconvenient. There were a few hardship reasons that you can excuse yourself from jury duty for, but I didn't see "likes to sleep in late" on the list. I wouldn't consider not responding though, I'm too much of a worrier for that and actually it should be an interesting experience. I just thought, in a way, it's kind of strange that they could actually punish you for not going. What if they punished people for not voting? Isn't it kind of like that?

Rebecca, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  4. sawz

sawz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    best bet is to show up and try to get out of it. tell them its a hardship.
    if that doesn't work, try to give answers during voir dire that the lawyers won't like and they'll dismiss you. ;)

sawz, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  5. Breeze Wood

Breeze Wood Peon

Best Answers:
    ~ Did jury duty for home spun trial and was paid more than my recession depleted day job so give me your drivers license and will do it for you....

Breeze Wood, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  6. Mega B

Mega B Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have done Jury service twice in the UK so i can only speak on our legal system but usually if you are called up for jury service you only have a few genuine cop outs and i mean a few,so unless you have a total bullit proof get out you will 'have' to turn up normally they call more than they require this is to cover illness or some other major problem.
    In the UK as long as you are between the ages of 18-70 you can be called up at any time,most people are called up once but i have been called up up twice over a 15 year period the last time was 12 months back on a terrible rape case which i cannot expand upon but as a result we wont be called for a minimum of another 5 years.

Mega B, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  7. ncz_nate

ncz_nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's bullsh!t is what it is. We were just talking about this yesterday at my dads. It's more than a little strange, it's a symptom of a fascist, violent government.

Wanting to sleep in late is very much a valid excuse Rebecca; you're a human being, not a slave. Don't let the conformists distort your perspective on this. There is nothing "patriotic" or "just" about slavery or bullying. Therefore there is nothing patriotic or just about jury duty.

Does anyone think this is the least bit ethical? Forcing people to do something that clearly almost always interrupts their personal lives and threatening the use of force if they don't comply?

If I were you, I would make up anything to get out of it. Don't feel guilty either, scoundrels will say that it is your "patriotic duty!", but you must always remember that they are scoundrels and the lowest forms of life.

ncz_nate, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  8. Dysturbed

Dysturbed Peon

Best Answers:
    I honestly don't believe that you really should have neglected jury duty in the first place. Our Founding Fathers made you do jury duty, so that you can ensure that tyranny doesn't reign in amongst the people through unelected officials, the judges. Even though most of them are trustworthy, some might make decisions without the best intentions in mind, and it is through the people that the Founding Fathers make sure that they could never terrorize the population. Jury duty wasn't some ideal created by the newer, less honorable Congresses in the recent past. It was put into our Constitution for the very reason to prevent corruption and tyranny. If you would very want judges and the Federal Government to reign over the population, then very well just ignore jury duty, but just remember that, if you're ever in front of the Courts, other people who take the time out of their lives to serve justice are doing it for you as well.

With this, however, I still cannot condone any actual punishments for not completing jury duty. The OP is right. It's like punishing people who don't vote. While it doesn't speak well for how much care that person has for its country's purity, it still should not be a cause for arrest or imprisonment.

Dysturbed, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  9. ncz_nate

Best Answers:
    Look how well that's worked out. :rolleyes:

Fighting tyranny with tyranny? Again, look how well that's worked out.

Wrong, and aren't I good at predicting the types of patriotic arguments that would follow? People aren't politely taking the time out of the day, as in some idealist regard for their beloved country and fellow man, they're taking the time out of their day in FEAR of their country and fellow man. It isn't a service for justice, it is a reaction to an injustice.

Slavery has never worked, and it never will work, in any form, in any way. All forms of slavery are both immoral and inefficient, and they will collapse eventually, just as they have collapsed in more obvious ways.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  10. peepin2me

peepin2me Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    After watching the movie '12 angry men', I would love to do Jury duty. Unfortunately, there is no concept of a jury in my country :(

peepin2me, Dec 28, 2009 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  11. Jeccles

Jeccles Peon

Best Answers:
    I completely forgot about my summons, one time. About a month later I got this letter that pretty much said "you Could Not Have POSSIBLY ignored blah blah blah" - anyways I had to make it up.

Jeccles, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  12. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Yeap, that's a classic movie! I won't mind trying out jury duty too. There is some inconvenience but you do experience a lot of new things.

wisdomtool, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  13. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:

I disagree with this on every level.

Citizenship comes with responsibilities.

browntwn, Dec 28, 2009 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  14. ncz_nate

Best Answers:
    Feel free to point out where exactly I am wrong.

So does slavery.

You're too traditional.

15. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The penalty is for contempt of court. Jury Duty is better than voting. I'd volunteer to do it for a whole year to make some changes that we can believe in :D

bogart, Dec 28, 2009 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  16. stock_post

stock_post Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Skipping to show up is not a good idea.
    You are at the mercy of the judge and his mood on that day.

Got one jury duty so far and have finished the case by the end of the day.

stock_post, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  17. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    7 years of summons ignored to date. After reading all this, I think I'll respond to the next one...

Obamanation, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  18. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:

1. "it's a symptom of a fascist, violent government."

Jury duty has nothing to do with fascism or violence. It is part of the United States Constitution that we have the right to be judged by a jury of our peers. If you dislike that provision of the Constitution you are free to try and have it changed. Perhaps if you started to vote you might have more of a say in how this country is run.

2. Wanting to sleep in late is very much a valid excuse Rebecca; you're a human being, not a slave.

You liken jury duty to slavery. How is the obligation to perform a time limited civic duty anything like slavery? It is not. There are certainly people who do not wish to serve on a jury. That hardly makes the 1 day of service that most people have to deal with akin to slavery.

How do you guarantee the rights guaranteed under the Constitution to a jury? Do you just ignore that right so Nate gets to sleep in?

3. Does anyone think this is the least bit ethical? Forcing people to do something that clearly almost always interrupts their personal lives and threatening the use of force if they don't comply?

Yes I think it is ethical and fair. I am not sure what you call the threat of force. I don't recall every being threatened with anything when I was served with a jury summons.

4. If I were you, I would make up anything to get out of it. Don't feel guilty either, scoundrels will say that it is your "patriotic duty!"

Do I really need to comment that suggesting someone lie in response to a Federal Court summons? Seriously Nate, even if you disagree there are adult ways to object to serving. Lying is not one of them. And yes, it is patriotic to serve on a jury. Why is it not patriotic to help guarantee people are given all the rights guaranteed under the Constitution?

5. Logic?

Wanting to sleep in late is very much a valid excuse Rebecca; you're a human being, not a slave. Don't let the conformists distort your perspective on this. There is nothing "patriotic" or "just" about slavery or bullying. Therefore there is nothing patriotic or just about jury duty.

Rebecca is a human, not a slave.
    Being a slave is not patriotic.

How do your two statements support your conclusion that there is nothing patriotic about jury duty? It lacks any logic whatsoever, well unless you use made up definitions of words like slavery to make them mean things that are nothing like slavery.

Basically nate, you sound like a lazy ass kid who doesn't give a shit about anybody other than himself. The irony is that you are calling jury duty slavery when the very purpose of a jury is to put citizens and not the government in charge of locking people behind bars. In your world view a government that has a jury system is fascist but one that locks people up with no jury is what exactly?

browntwn, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  19. Dysturbed

Dysturbed Peon

Best Answers:
    Look how well that's worked out.

Well, it has, unless you can provide a reason as to why it hasn't. From my knowledge, the jury duty system is still working and effectual, and this thread proves that it still is. If it is, then obviously it would make sure that judges wouldn't be able to terrorize the people or garner too much power.

Fighting tyranny with tyranny? Again, look how well that's worked out.

Twelve randomly chosen Citizens are tyrannical? What motive would they have to terrorize somebody they don't know, whom they've been tasked to decide the guilt thereof?

Wrong,

Since all of that is an opinion, that pretty much defies all the laws of logic.

People aren't politely taking the time out of the day, as in some idealist regard for their beloved country and fellow man, they're taking the time out of their day in FEAR of their country and fellow man. It isn't a service for justice, it is a reaction to an injustice.

I've actually been on the jury beforehand, and I can tell you that the majority of them serve their country from their free will. As I've stated before, however, I don't believe that the government should be enacting consequences for not going unto jury duty, but I frankly believe that these people should just be denied the right to a trial by jury then, when they get into some trouble, since they apparently want it taken out of the Constitution.

Slavery has never worked, and it never will work, in any form, in any way. All forms of slavery are both immoral and inefficient, and they will collapse eventually, just as they have collapsed in more obvious ways.

What does this have to do with slavery? You're obviously paid for jury duty, and you get an appropriate meal for your service to your country. I'm sure that without any of thee consequences, you'd still be complaining about jury duty being some evil government conspiracy, wherethrough they'll enslave the population into abating tyranny and exercising their rights. HOW EVIL THEY ARE! ROAR! I suppose that people won't appreciate what they've been given, until those rights are taken away. I do, however, believe you owe the people that have actually experienced slavery an apology for using their unfortunate circumstance for your own personal interests in making a civil duty of yours, and everyone else in this country of ours, likened to such category, when it obviously has nothing to do with slavery.

These:

[​IMG]

are slaves.

These:

[​IMG]

are not.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
    Dysturbed, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  20. ncz_nate

Best Answers:
    My voting won't change any part of the Constitution, that's not how it works.

The length of servitude is entirely irrelevant. If you define slavery as involuntary servitude, which it is, jury duty qualifies as slavery.

Rights are often "guaranteed" at the expense of other rights.

Are you denying the penalties of not complying? Read the first post over again.

Lying is not half as wicked as threatening to use force against someone who wishes not to serve. A "patriot" will serve voluntarily.

Nice ad hom.

ncz_nate, Dec 29, 2009 IP