1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Penalized Directories PR Restored

Discussion in 'Directories' started by CReed, Dec 31, 2009.

1. checkblog

checkblog Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nothing changed for me.

checkblog, Jan 2, 2010 IP
  2. contactusa

contactusa Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm... So which site is that?

contactusa, Jan 4, 2010 IP
    Ibn Juferi likes this.
  3. deluxdon

deluxdon Catch Me If You Can...!!!™ Staff

Best Answers:
    We are talking about web directories and he/she is talking about PR raised for a site not directory :rolleyes:

DON.

deluxdon, Jan 4, 2010 IP
    Ibn Juferi likes this.
  4. magnettechnologies

magnettechnologies Peon

Best Answers:
    quality dir pr is increased

magnettechnologies, Jan 5, 2010 IP
  5. David26

David26 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I bet the economy will recover now. Notice how the recession started when Google banned thousands of directories? I was rolling in cash before Google decided to punish us for working hard in increasing PR.

David26, Jan 5, 2010 IP
  6. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Lol :) im guessing that you're joking, the recession didn't start from that, lmao, anyway i think your joking so il stop there.:D

pipes, Jan 5, 2010 IP
  7. wasabiventures

wasabiventures Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL... yes, that seems to be true. I would think the Fed should start monitoring Google Blacklists and pull the U.S. economy out of the recession! :p

wasabiventures, Jan 5, 2010 IP
  8. David26

David26 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hehe you got it :)

David26, Jan 5, 2010 IP
  9. zachary0611

zachary0611 Peon

Best Answers:
    google has the ability to make or crush fortunes in a second

zachary0611, Jan 5, 2010 IP
  10. deluxdon

deluxdon Catch Me If You Can...!!!™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Oh that means do you really think that there is any direct connection with recession and banned thousands of directories ?? lol.. :p

DON.

deluxdon, Jan 5, 2010 IP
  11. Jozov

Jozov Guest

Best Answers:
    This can only be a good thing!

Jozov, Jan 9, 2010 IP
    Ibn Juferi likes this.
  12. Ekka

Ekka Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the crux of the matter was that Google wanted to stamp out the selling of links and PR.

However it also realises that good directories do take time to administer and that webmasters should be able to earn some revenue.

So is a high PR directory selling high PR links? Nope. It's charging for the administration and skill of running that directory successfully, and as PR is not equal across all categories some pages of links could be PR0 anyway.

I think whilst the Google algorithm uses links to determine results in SERPs they needed to rationalise their bias toward directories.

One way of thinking from the Google camp would have been, "people with the most money buy the most links and get the best results" and that non organic linking strategy didn't gel with them a few years ago.

However now the thinking may well be, "why penalize both good directories and links where website owners go the extra mile for their website"

Consider your website a business. Should your business be penalized for the more advertising you do? Of course not, it should benefit, that's why businesses do junk mail, radio, yellow pages etc. Google's initial stripping and in some cases evicting of sites was gruesome for a company that insists using an algorithm that counts links. I bet they considered for a long time the morals of what they did and are reviewing now their stance on this whole matter.

The key is, are directories selling links or getting paid an admin fee? Should purchasers of links be entitled to the link juice? Can google differentiate between a directory, a website links page, blog links, newspaper comment links etc? With sites like Twitter that they spam themselves they had no choice but to reinstate the status quo.

Yes, it's high time that the people who work on their sites are not penalized, and those that build a site, don't add content, don't promote it and forget about it like some unwanted gift gathering dust in the basement get what they deserve. [​IMG]

In the directory I run just tonight I spent 1 hour tidying up rubbish submissions and reviewing others. How many times people select the category "Top" is incredible, or typo something, or have the wrong category, meta's etc ... we should be paid for that work and a few dollars in most cases isn't enough.

Attached Files:

Ekka, Jan 31, 2010 IP
    Ibn Juferi likes this.
  13. FavouritesBlog

FavouritesBlog Peon

Best Answers:
    Lets face it, google doesn't like directories - Why? Because they are a waste of time and data.

FavouritesBlog, Jan 31, 2010 IP
  14. Ekka

Ekka Peon

Best Answers:
    Ekka, Jan 31, 2010 IP
  15. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't think so.
    If that way of thinking was true, then G. would restore PR 6 AMRAY Web Directory lost 3 years ago.

I'm sure even Google has no idea what Google is doing and why

:)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Jan 31, 2010 IP
  16. Ekka

Ekka Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe there's other issues that site got busted for, I don't know, beware black hat covert ops is a good policy.

There's other extremely high PR Directories that charge hundreds to be in which are not affected so one must ask, why did Google bin some and not others?

If you read this thread you'll see Google dealing with a few sites same.

Ekka, Jan 31, 2010 IP
  17. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    There IS NOT and there was never been BH issues, it just as I said G. has no idea what it's doing when it comes to PR.

On another hand G. is proving time after time that PR is useless and SERP os priceless.
    Why Am I saying that?
    Well, just search G. for
    best business web directory or
    best free web directory
    and then you tell me if AMRAY needs PR or 6 or 4 makes any difference for Us.

;)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Jan 31, 2010 IP
  18. Ekka

Ekka Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey, I'm a little confused.

Is this your site, the one you are on about? http://www.amray.com/ If it is I liked it except for the dang music video! :mad: Stuff like that annoys me, takes time to load and I wonder where the heck I can turn it off without getting some pop up or conned into clicking onto something by mistake.

Anyway, are you sour about the fact others are infront of you, is that it. I figure PR changes all the time, up and down, maybe for example a PR6 2 years ago was worth 6000 Google points and they revalued it to 4000 Google points these days. I have had sites go down in PR 2008 and 2009 and I think it was a re-evaluation of the worth of the PR. As time passes they likely move the bar around a little otherwise too many will be 10.

You seem a smart man, if other sites are ahead of you in SERPs do you know why?

Ekka, Jan 31, 2010 IP
    CReed likes this.
  19. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Why should I be sour?
    SEO our site on Page #1 even in a second spot for: best free web directory
    is more than good enough for me.

:)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Feb 1, 2010 IP
  20. Ekka

Ekka Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah, see when I do searches here I get different results to you there. That's because I use a different Google server and am located in a different place, you are #14 in this search.

best business web directory

Ekka, Feb 1, 2010 IP