1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Paypal - Why aren't there more competetors?

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by websiteideas, Mar 13, 2006.

I love Paypal, but I don't like that they charge so much. Are there any real competetors? If so, which ones if any sound promising?

websiteideas, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I believe PayPal has a bit of a unique status in the finance world. Can't remember the full story off the top of my head but I think they sort of slipped the net legally in the US and then quickly became too big to get rid of. That's supposedly one of the reasons others can't easily do the same, hence the lack of competition.

T0PS3O, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  3. intruth

intruth Guest

Best Answers:
    I can remember when PayPal was 1st starting out..

They caught and filled a good nich and promoted well.

When paypals stocks hit the market they sored...

intruth, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  4. Corey Bryant

Corey Bryant Texan at Heart

Best Answers:
    Getting started - and finding people that have the reputation and money to back the company. And then when those people realize the significance of starting the company and the responsibilities, they usually have second thoughts.

It basically comes down to you letting people you do not know borrow money. Afterall, before it is your money, it is Paypal's and they are going to do everything to protect it

Corey Bryant, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  5. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Competitor wise, noone will establish themselves as a better competitor to Paypal than what Google is working on (Google Wallet). Google have the obvious traffic, popularity, reputation and history to handle peoples online transactions well. The main question is if they'll go head on with Paypal and do a P2P/B2C, or if they'll focus on B2C a lot more.

Either way, competition is nearly always a good thing, and it's long overdue in the internet payment market. I hate the way Paypal operates, but I'm stuck with their service, can't wait for Google to swoop the market.

Blitz, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  6. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    By Ebay!
    So there are two built in markets that other payment processors can not even make a dent in.
    First are the paypal users themselves.
    Then there are the ebay sellers and buyers!
    Do you think ebay will allow google or other payment processors to horn in?
    Heck no!
    Plus keep in mind, paypal does pay a market rate of some kind on your money in your account.
    Think this month I got like $4.25.

iowadawg, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  7. jellyfish

jellyfish Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are a few competitors... The problem is, they are not interchangable like money. If you have money in one of these smaller companies and you want to send money to someone who uses another company you cannot. In the real world you can easily do it with checks..

jellyfish, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  8. xfairguy

xfairguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I had high hopes that Google will step in, lot of people are not accepted to join PayPal and PayPal seems that don't need that customers.Imagine that, they can afford to loose customers.

xfairguy, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  9. Sir Tom

Sir Tom Banned

Best Answers:
    Paypal became a monopoly simply be being user prefered. I would bet that 99% of the forum members signed up for paypal after realizing that they need paypal to make a particular transaction and had no other realistic ways to make that same transaction without paypal.

Sir Tom, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  10. MatthewN

MatthewN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a Paypal account and find that many do also which makes it easier when sending money. I have used NoChex in the past which is for the UK only I think, but it was too small at the time and I never ran with it. I havent logged in to that account for a while.

MatthewN, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  11. Gaffer Sports

Gaffer Sports Guest

Best Answers:
    Seriously, would you hand over your cash to a brand new site?

PayPal has way too much popularity now that nobody could possibly compete.

Gaffer Sports, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  12. websiteideas

websiteideas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I too am hoping Google steps in and shows Paypal how to do it and do it right!

websiteideas, Mar 16, 2006 IP
  13. jdi_knght

jdi_knght Peon

Best Answers:
    Paypal is very popular, and became very established, very early. The itegration added through eBay helped all the more. As far as an 'online payment' company goes, it's not like credit cards where people don't mind having a few different providers. Most people would prefer just one online payment company, and Paypal's the largest, and arguably, the 'safest' choice.

That said, if Google steps up, they are probably one of the few companies that have potential to be good competition.

jdi_knght, Mar 16, 2006 IP
  14. KevinK

KevinK Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    These types of wallet type systems are very difficult from a legal point of few. Also to consider are the VISA and MasterCard regulations. PayPal has bank accounts in which the funds of their customers is deposited. In fact PayPay is a registered agent of a bank. This type of status is not easy to get. There are a few ways you can make such a system work.

Pre-paid credit cards, see epassporte for example. Their system is based around a pre-paid credit card. Every account has a virtual credit card, the user can transfer funds from account to account as well as use the virtual credit card. Epassporte also offers a VISA electron card.

Bank license. As you might imagine, it isn’t easy or cheap to get a bank license. In addition to the bank license, you would need to a acquiring license and I am sure some other license.

E-Money license. I am not sure about this option. I believe it is only available in the UK, and it allows a company to open virtual bank accounts. But, I am not sure about this option.

Coin based systems are not allows, or at least not in connection VISA and MasterCard.

Hope that helped a little. Keep in mind though, regulations change, laws change…

KevinK, Mar 17, 2006 IP
  15. KevinK

KevinK Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh btw. I have an epassporte account as well as their VISA electron card; it is a great service.

KevinK, Mar 17, 2006 IP
  16. websiteideas

Best Answers:
    Anyone other than Google working on competeting with Paypal? Yahoo or Microsoft?

websiteideas, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  17. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    Im hoping google does something as well im tired of paypal having no competition. They charge so much plus their dispute system totally sucks, they have lost me so much money.... :(

Seiya, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  18. SEO Guru

SEO Guru Peon

Best Answers:
    SEO Guru, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  19. websiteideas

Best Answers:
    The more I hear about Gbuy, the more I am looking forward to it. I've learned today that it might be tied to Google Ads so that when a web surfer follows an Adwords ad, they can pay instanltly with their GBuy account.

websiteideas, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  20. admin2006

admin2006 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like paypal..., but people do not trust so much them, and I do not know why

admin2006, Apr 2, 2006 IP