1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

paypal vs e-gold

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by Mind_nl, Oct 27, 2006.

I'm working on a site that will require online payment processing. I've played with paypal's IPN and it works great, but I don't like the costs per transaction with paypal.

I have also used e-gold, but this service is mostly used for gambling, HYIP and autosurfs. So I was wondering if e-gold would be a good alternative to use on a website, or will it turn off people because of e-gold use in the gambling, HYIP and autosurf sites?

Any other payment processor you can reconment? I need my site to be able to process transactions on autopilot, both recieving and sending of funds. Thanks!

Mind_nl, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  2. hoprofit

hoprofit Peon

Best Answers:
    You can try moneybookers.com. They are good.

PS: E-gold is good for sellers and paypal is good for buyers.

hoprofit, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  3. Mind_nl

Mind_nl Peon

Best Answers:
    And I guess that is because e-gold doesn't do refunds. People are not going to request a refund on what my site will be selling, so thats not a big deal. Question is: do people use e-gold to buy stuff, or is it realy only used for gambling...
    What kind of transaction rates do moneybookers charge?

Mind_nl, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  4. abdussamad

abdussamad Active Member

Best Answers:
    Consider that you will be limiting your customer base if you choose paypal. E-gold is available in almost every country in the world while paypal is limited to a few countries.

abdussamad, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  5. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, Paypal is easier to use and you will have a huge pool of available users from the approved countries. If they come from one of those countries and do not have an account, it can be easily created or they can bypass signing up and pay you using a credit card. At current, paypal only allows half the total number of countries of the world to use it as a payment option. I believe that is 103 out of the 220 countries. However, the makeup of the approved countries probably contains more than 80% of the global internet populations with funds to spend.

E-gold would only allow e-gold to be transferred from an account to another so it means that the buyer must sign up for an e-gold account then look for someone to exchange funds to e-gold just to make the transaction. Some of this exchangers may charge a fee for the exchange and some may require you to change at least a minimum sum. So it can get really complicated. E-gold also does not provide vendors or customers protected in case of frauds and all transaction are final, that puts it pretty shady and it has the reputation where scammers can easily find a way to operate because they are protected from disgruntled customers.

I guess technically speaking, I would prefer providing a credit card payment options and paypal as backup. That should pretty much cover every single country around. Then it is not all that difficult now to get a debit card which can work online especially for the internet savvy populations.

eddy2099, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  6. deviant

deviant Peon

Best Answers:
    Funding to e-gold thats really hard. I think you should use a service that accepts credit cards. ePassporte or MoneyBookers.

deviant, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  7. SKULL

SKULL Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I would recommend Paypal , as for one it is the most used payment gateway online and its more safer.

SKULL, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  8. master06

master06 Peon

Best Answers:
    i would recommeend to paypal for my country. i have got e-gold acount and i have been using e-gold at 3 years but i like paypal so much. Paypal have got good website and dont forget ebay.

Regards,
    Mustafa

master06, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  9. Mind_nl

Mind_nl Peon

Best Answers:
    Oke, maybe its best to make both available. I've got automatic paypal processing covered, but how can I process e-gold automaticly? Anyone know any good scripts for this?

Mind_nl, Oct 28, 2006 IP
  10. Disguised

Disguised Notable Member

Best Answers:

You could ask some php coder to create an IPN based payment gateway. I have used it on one of my sites and it works great.

Disguised, Oct 28, 2006 IP
    saadahmed007 likes this.
  11. Mind_nl

Mind_nl Peon

Best Answers:
    I've already made my own IPN processing script. All I need now is the same for e-gold

Mind_nl, Oct 28, 2006 IP
  12. Disguised

Disguised Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yes I am talking about egold IPN system :)

Disguised, Oct 28, 2006 IP