1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Paypal problems on the horizon

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by Sandwalker, Jul 28, 2005.

I just got off the phone with Paypal about a strange request they had... They had asked for "shipping confirmation" for some of my past virtual transactions that were completed several weeks ago. Even though there's no indication these were physical goods and the items say they are for link ads. I've never had this problem before, but apparently they spot-check transactions for delivery etc..

As I was talking to the rep, she mentioned something that could be a problem for a lot of people. She said Paypal is *considering* disallowing any type of virtual transactions in the near future. The reason being is that they can't easily verify the customer received their service or merchandise, such as with a UPS shipping code. This would include SEO services, links, downloads, etc..

Looking at the amount of people on here and other boards that say they favor Paypal, what alternatives do we have for virtual transactions?

Sandwalker, Jul 28, 2005 IP
  2. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Won't happen imho. If it does we all go to moneybookers and paypal will lose a ton of money. Although this is Ebay so who knows.

RectangleMan, Jul 28, 2005 IP
  3. Sandwalker

Sandwalker Peon

Best Answers:
    I just checked some of the 3rd party billing companies to compare, here's what I found:

CCNow - "No promotion based services"
    CCAvenue - No "Web site promotion or Search engine registration fees"

Clickbank - seems to specialize in virtual items
    2Checkout - no mention of virtual items on there disallowed list

4. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    hmm..I just had an idea.

Why doesn't paypal create the digital delivery system? Say I have a template I am buying. First the person invoices me with the attached file. Then I pay and paypal gives me a download link. :)

This way they can prove you not only got the file but they can show what the file was. For all the money they make they can host some files.

RectangleMan, Jul 28, 2005 IP
  5. Sandwalker

Sandwalker Peon

Best Answers:

That's not a bad idea... Or at least have a followup link that lets the buyer confirm they received their service.

6. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    I think what will happen is that they will require more verification from members who want to take part in these types of transactions. I can understand where they are coming from, from a merchant/merchant bank perspective as fraud is rampant on the internet and the CC companies will overturn just about anything that you cannot prove someone received with a signature. If the CC companies get off their asses and create some kind of smart card/signature solution for online transactions, this would not be an issue. But, I am not going to hold my breath on that one.

chachi, Jul 28, 2005 IP
  7. plmerlin

plmerlin Guest

Best Answers:
    That's a typical AML reaction - AML = Anti Money Laundry.

Imagine a bad guy paying $50 monthly subscription to 1,000 people or buying a virtual product $200 from the same 1,000. Now the Bad Guys are 1,000...

That's a lot of real money moving around with little tracks.
    My bank merchant account refuse virtual payment for that reason. May be PayPal is following the path.

plmerlin, Jul 28, 2005 IP
  8. Sandwalker

Sandwalker Peon

Best Answers:

Actually, Visa has started "Verified Visa" which is just a PIN the buyer types in during a transaction. Since it's a secret PIN not on the card, Visa doesn't allow chargebacks for denial of usage claims. The problem is, these verification systems don't do anything to verify the buyer received their goods.

9. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    I did not know that...it is about time. I will have to check that out. I think what has prevented them from using smart cards, which can use encryption, is cost. Magnetic stripe cards are super cheap and smart cards are about 5 to 10 times as expensive.

<edit>Actually, it is nothing great. It only works at "participating stores". That really doesn't help anything just as the CVV codes don't do anything either. http://usa.visa.com/personal/security/visa_security_program/vbv/how_it_works.html</edit>

chachi, Jul 28, 2005 IP
  10. Sandwalker

Sandwalker Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah it doesn't help much when not everyone is given a visa with a PIN and not all merchants accept it :rolleyes:

11. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Exactly my first thought when I read this thread.

I'm sure they'll find a way to not loose such a huge amount of business.

T0PS3O, Jul 28, 2005 IP