1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PayPal issues

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by domijy, Oct 17, 2016.

Okay, so my dad closed his credit card, and he was giving me birthday money. He said it probably would not work, and he said I could try it. I tried it, and it indeed transfered balance to my PayPal account. The bank account is closed, yet I got money. Is this going to cause any legal issues?

Thanks.

domijy, Oct 17, 2016 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    So... you willfully used a closed credit card / account to transfer money to a Paypal account?

Eh, yes, it will come back to bite someone - probably not you, but your dad - he's the owner of the card, and the bank/CC company will probably come after him to get back their money.

PoPSiCLe, Oct 18, 2016 IP
  3. wordplucker

wordplucker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It will bite both. The closed account will over draw, giving a fee, and the bank may take the funds back, causing you PayPal to be screwed up.

Sounds like you used a bank that uses a big bank system as a backbone. Podunk town banks usually are half banks, using a big national bank for all the heavy lifting. You may close locally, but it can take a month or so for Podunk bank to get the big bank to close that card down.

I had had a Podunk town Podunk bank pay a hosting fee once after I moved out of the area after closing the account. I had forgot to change the card on file over. They paid it and chased after me for it. I told them that paying something out of a closed account was their stupidity, not mine.

This is different, going from him to you. Looks like fraud to the bank....

wordplucker, Oct 18, 2016 IP
  4. domijy

domijy Peon

Best Answers:
    So I should be worried about this?

domijy, Oct 18, 2016 IP
  5. Viktor Vedmak

Viktor Vedmak Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes lol. You will have to pay that money back. And, just in case you were curious, if they came after your father and he does not want to pay so says "Oh, my kid used it without my permission", you are looking at prison time. This is credit card fraud no matter how you look at it. So make absolutely certain you straighten this out before they come asking questions.

Viktor Vedmak, Oct 19, 2016 IP
  6. pmf123

pmf123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    how much are we even talking about? unless its like $500 or more, i doubt any charges would be pressed but they will send your dad to collection probably

pmf123, Oct 20, 2016 IP
  7. geekability

geekability Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    After dealing with banksters for a while now I can say they don't always have to follow the law themselves in the USA, but you sure may have to. They can ding your credit and keep putting arbitrary fees on you if they choose to. My regional bank I have been with for years has lost class action lawsuits and still does the same thing they got sued for.

geekability, Nov 6, 2016 IP
  8. IG2010

IG2010 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your dad is giving you a car that should not work and tell you to try? that's pretty weird

IG2010, Nov 6, 2016 IP