1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Paypal Is So F**ked

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by dblock120, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Robert Allen

Robert Allen Peon

Best Answers:
    That email thing is a scam. If you even clicked a link, change your password to your paypal password NOW.

XSS/COOKIE EXPLOITS STEAL INFORMATION WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE. HERE IS A LINK TO WHAT HACKERS ARE CAPABLE OF!
    http://milw0rm.com/author/623

Click on the video (referring to vBulletin).

Rob

Robert Allen, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  2. jacobkell

jacobkell Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I ignore any mail with paypal subject no matter is real or not.

jacobkell, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  3. tobycoke

tobycoke Peon

Best Answers:
    What country did you ship to and what address/country is on the Western Union?

tobycoke, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  4. Wyla

Wyla Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wtf does Western Union have to do with anything. Paypal wouldn't tell you to refund through Western Union, thats just stupid.

P.S. USE PUNCTUATION

Wyla, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  5. blazin6969

blazin6969 Peon

Best Answers:
    Why did you pay for shipping for the item? That rightthere should have stopped you, I normally wait for it to clear in my bank.

blazin6969, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  6. Louis11

Louis11 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's rather simple really. Using a basic PHP system you can modify the headers in your email and have them sent off to match the email exactly.

Copying the website isn't very hard either... sometimes it's an XSS that will pop your cookie, other times it's pure and simple phishing that tricks you into entering your password into what appears to be a legitimate website.

Louis11, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  7. dblock120

dblock120 Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes this is a scam the problem is i shipped priority mail so its not there yet 6-10 days the country is international NIGERIA Is there anyway i can stop it?? USPS

dblock120, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  8. tobycoke

tobycoke Peon

Best Answers:
    Nigeria. Good lord. That was an expensive lesson.

tobycoke, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  9. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh sucks. Sadly to say, Nigeria is probably the number 1 country in the world for fraud and scam and everything associated to it.

I don't think you can do anything now. Just take it as an expensive lesson. I don't think that USPS can really help you once the package is out your post office as I doubt there is individual tracking.

I am really sorry to hear bout this but sadly there is really nothing you could do.

Next time if you see anything totally out of the norm, it should raise a red flag.

eddy2099, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  10. dblock120

dblock120 Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the help guys i really appreciated it :( i guess i lost that $500. Sad thing i also lost the item anyways i am going to call USPS and check with them.

dblock120, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  11. Corey Bryant

Corey Bryant Texan at Heart

Best Answers:
    I agree with the others. Nothing really makes since in this. Hopefully you can call Paypal and see what is happening to your account.
    Actually it is a pretty good business. Just because some people have not complied with the TOS or cannot comply with the TOS does not make them a scam.

A scam seems more like what the OP has gotten himself into.

Corey Bryant, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  12. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Seriously from the looks of it, I serious doubt Paypal is involved from the beginning of this transaction since the buyer was supposed to initiate payment and probably he was sending fake emails pretending to be paypal from the beginning.

Paypal is good at what they do and it would have been a good platform to use if the people who uses it play by the rules. The sad thing is that every since I heard people using VCC to verify, people who pretend to be from another country signing up and people who just ignores the rules, all so as to get through some loopholes which brought down the name of paypal. It used to be good years ago until VCC came out of the blue.

eddy2099, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  13. ArcticPro

ArcticPro Banned

Best Answers:
    You obviously fell for some kind of spoof mail and you should report it to PayPal.

For future spoofs you should follow PayPal's advice and never click through links in emails to get to the PayPal site, always go to your browser and type it in yourself.

ArcticPro, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  14. elscapo

elscapo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Typical paypal behaviour, and typical reaction, all surprised. I have been preaching the anti-paypal story for a long time...

elscapo, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  15. bacwebdesign

bacwebdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    What the heck are you talking about? Have you read the post?

Fake email from PayPal asking them to refund money via Western Union on a product shipped to Nigeria.

Got to say:

1) This has nothing to do with PayPal.

2) This is a scam.

3) Unless you just got on the web for the first time three minutes ago, Nigeria is the butt of EVERY spam and phishing joke out there.

bacwebdesign, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  16. indyguidedotinfo

indyguidedotinfo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    you can always tell if its a scam in the e-mail but hovering your mouse over the link you can see that its not a valid paypal address. I hate using paypal they took so much money from my company over this past year. I just use google checkout now its still free.

indyguidedotinfo, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  17. geester_2007

geester_2007 Banned

Best Answers:
    Its defiantely a scam, I get around 5 emails a day claiming to be from Paypal - after me logging in to my account via their link....I never do.

Up to now - I have had no problems,. the best advise I would suggest is to contact Paypal and forward all the information you have - let them do some work!

geester_2007, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  18. Gold Sales

Gold Sales Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    All buyers from Nigeria on ebay have been scammers in my experience.
    Even if they did pay the money to your paypal account, they have overpaid for a reason (which I will explain in a minute).
    Firstly they are probably using a stolen credit card to pay through paypal or someone elses stolen paypal account details to pay you. So after you have sent the goods when the real owner of the credit card or paypal account realises the real owner will do a chargeback and paypal will just take the money back from you. So you end up with no money in your paypal account and no goods.
    But also they have overpaid (using the stolen card or paypal account) by $300 and claimed this was a mistake and asked you to send the overpayment of $300 back to them by western union (which cannot be charged back or reversed).
    So this way they get the goods and they get $300 cash by western union (which you cannot reverse once you have sent it) all for free as they used a stolen paypal account or a stolen credit card and you the seller ends up with nothing.

I would recommend in future making sure the money has reached your paypal account before shipping and only ship to a confirmed paypal address from a buyer verified in your country. Also never pay anyone with western union whatever reason they give (you can always easily refund part or all of the funds through your paypal account if necessary).

Gold Sales, Aug 1, 2007 IP
  19. rsuog

rsuog Peon

Best Answers:
    sounds very strange! SCAM !

rsuog, Aug 1, 2007 IP
  20. thomas2007

thomas2007 Peon

Best Answers:
    sounds very spoofy to me!

thomas2007, Aug 1, 2007 IP