1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PayPal Dispute and Claim Process

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by nightcrawlers, Mar 18, 2014.

Hi,

Anyone had experience using PayPal claims? What is your experience and how do they handle queries?

Recently, I ordered OSClass theme from a con-artist (ibthemes.com). He agree to deliver the theme and few modifications to the theme. After the payment, seller stop responding. I keep on emailing and opened a dispute.

Still seller is not responding after so many days. I escalated the issue to PayPal claim, but PayPal is now showing strange things on my account i.e Verify card, add card, confirm email. Even I have two verified cards and cannot have more cards to add. Also, email was confirmed as I am using the account from past 4 years without any issue. I have a verified PayPal account!

All this behaviour from PayPal making me worry because the amount was 140$. And I have cash in my account as well.

What are your views? I will appreciate the help.

Thank you

nightcrawlers, Mar 18, 2014 IP
  2. Sabrino

Sabrino Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would say your money is gone, i can guarantee you that Paypal will not be on your side and they may block your account and limit it.
    When you create Paypal account you agree that digital goods are not allowed - and you will not receive buyers protection.
    most probably you will loose the case and the money.
    Paypal will side with the seller as they don't allow buyer protection for digital products.

Now make it a 140usd lesson that next time you buy digital products dont pay with paypal pay with credit card....

Sabrino, Mar 19, 2014 IP
  3. abhishekdvirus

abhishekdvirus Member

Best Answers:
    I have lost the cases for digital services (web development and hosting) for all 2 disputes I had. PayPal always helps buyer at least when sale comes from eBay.

abhishekdvirus, Mar 19, 2014 IP
  4. talkcarinsurance

talkcarinsurance Member

Best Answers:
    If the dispute is not challenged by the seller, paypal should pay your money back and charge it to the account of the seller. If the seller is disputing, he/she should prove that the delivery has been made as promised. You are disputing non-delivery (not dissatisfied with the delivered product). It should be straight forward but it takes time up to 3 - 4 weeks depending on the response from the other side. In most cases, sellers don't want a dispute to go against them and they refund the money.

Also, what you are describing about the cards on record and confirmation of account. Those are not normally part of a dispute process. It must be something else you need to take up with paypal. Good luck

talkcarinsurance, Mar 19, 2014 IP
  5. Sabrino

Sabrino Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    themes are intangible digital products - and paypal policy dont cover digital products - i lost 4 dispute for digital product most of them are scripts and paypal always sides the seller on that -

Sabrino, Mar 19, 2014 IP
  6. talkcarinsurance

talkcarinsurance Member

Best Answers:
    Digital product or not, if you raise a dispute the seller will have to respond to it. If the seller cannot prove that he/she made the delivery he/she will have to return the money. Because you lost your refund request doesn't mean others will lose as well. For example, you cannot request a refund for an e-book just like you cannot request a refund for a book you bought on the high street. Otherwise, everybody would be wanting a refund after reading them. But you can request a refund for a book that hasn't been sent to you.

talkcarinsurance, Mar 20, 2014 IP
  7. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

So lets say the Seller responds to the dispute - how will PayPal verify that he did not indeed send the product? That is the thing with intangible goods, they lack the documentation that normally accompany a sell. And the buyer has absolutely no way of proving that the product was not received. I will have to side with @Sabrino on that one. While it might be possible to win such a dispute, most cases are not even thoroughly looked upon but just ruled in favor of the Seller. Paypal just loves their Sellers, that's the cold, hard truth.

Still, best of luck with your case, hope it turns out well for you. :)

Rado_ch, Mar 20, 2014 IP
  8. nightcrawlers

nightcrawlers Active Member

Best Answers:
    What if the seller doesn't reply to questions sent by PayPal within the given time-frame? I see that the seller is not responding, but maybe he reply claiming that the theme is delivered, but there is no proof because he never delivered the work.

nightcrawlers, Mar 21, 2014 IP
  9. Sabrino

Sabrino Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    move all your funds from your account - paypal might block your account and limit it - i have once been limited and paypal held all my funds because i lost the dispute for a digital item - another option would be to close the dispute and then once you close it you will have the option to reinitiate a faster accelerated dispute which will be on your side for sure and get your money back -

Your best bet for now is to close the dispute and after that reopen the accelerated link so you get the money back

Sabrino, Mar 21, 2014 IP
  10. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can you tell me a little bit more info about that, first time I hear of that I think. With the amount of people being burned by unfair buyers/sellers of intagible/digital items I think it will be a really helpful piece of information. How does it work, how is it different from the normal dispute, and how can say that "for sure" one party will win?

Rado_ch, Mar 21, 2014 IP
  11. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not true. PayPal does not guarantee any protection for intangible goods - in either direction. In other words, you're screwed...

However, in reality, if you put in a chargeback/dispute and the person you paid has money in their PayPal account, PP may take the money and give it back to you. But if the person has removed the funds, PP can do absolutely nothing and will simply tell you "too bad".

The horrible thing is that an honest provider can get screwed the other way around: a dishonest customer puts in a chargeback within the 45-day limit and, if the funds are in their PP account, they may be refunded without question.

Bear in mind that none of this is from personal experience, but from trawling the PP forums as I wanted to cover my own posterior for an upcoming project!

TIEro, Mar 21, 2014 IP
  12. nightcrawlers

nightcrawlers Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't want to use bad language here, but I guess you are a complete "NEWBIE" who is increasing his post count by giving stupid advice.

To everyone, I got this message from PayPal

Dear ______,

We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your
    favor.

We were able to recover $139.95 USD and this amount has been credited to
    you. Please allow five business days for this adjustment to be posted.

If you are due any additional funds, we will make our best effort to
    recover the balance from the seller.

If the seller's account has insufficient funds to complete the refund owed
    to you, please be assured that we will take appropriate action against the
    seller's account, which may include limitation of the seller's account
    privileges.

nightcrawlers, Mar 26, 2014 IP
  13. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, that's a nice result! Well done, you!

That's the bit where they're saying that if the money isn't in PayPal, you're screwed... but that they would consider shutting down the seller.

TIEro, Mar 26, 2014 IP