1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PayPal - Currency Conversion - What a joke!

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by Brennan, Jul 25, 2008.

1. balwinder

balwinder Peon

Best Answers:
    its always less as they take some money for themselves!

balwinder, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  2. niceilike

niceilike Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree the 2.5% conversion fee is ridiculously high!!!

niceilike, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  3. SEO_Matey

SEO_Matey Banned

Best Answers:
    Paypal sucks, it was initially made for eBay only, and now that people started using it for tons of other things, Paypal started doing everything they could to make thousands daily....!

SEO_Matey, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  4. kush86

kush86 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    2.5% is high? Check your local bank and ask them whats the rate they charge for a currency exchange. You will be happy paypal only charge 2.5%

kush86, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  5. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought that the standard foreign exchange rate is between 2 to 3%. My local bank charges 3% if I use my credit card overseas and if I use my ATM card to withdraw money from an overseas ATM machine, the fees are 3% + $2 per transaction.

The 2.5% which paypal charges is to cover any fluctuation in terms of foreign exchanges and all the associated fees in getting the money from their account in the US to your account in your country. Intermediary banks would need to get paid before they would do the international funds transfer, I doubt banks are charity and would do anything for free. Compared to say wire transfer or any other bank transfer, the 2.5% is extremely very low.

I would think that if you think the 2.5% is very high then I would think that you may not have been exposed to the real world of international trade and banking as yet. In the real world, the charges are a lot higher.

eddy2099, Jul 27, 2008 IP
    YIAM likes this.
  6. andreaplanet

andreaplanet Peon

Best Answers:
    2.5% is an extra to the (low?) exchange rate. Then you have to add the payment fee, in my case an average of 4.5%.

So the total fee is at least 7%... still cheap?

andreaplanet, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  7. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, if you are looking at total fees, 7% is still cheap. As long as you are not paying more than 15% for services, it should be alright.

I supposed since you say it is expensive it is because you already are using a service which can offer you much less in terms of fees. If that is the case, just use whatever meet your needs at the lowest price.

8. candyman333

candyman333 Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, I didn't know paypal dingged international users that much. Im from usa so i dont have those problems but I understand the currency exchange issues

candyman333, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  9. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, with the domestic banking system, local banks do work with each other and exchange funds on a daily basis and thus cost involved in the transfers are factored into the normal course of business. However, when you cross national borders, things can complicating because the originating and terminating banks may not be partner banks and as you know, banks are for-profit businesses and thus they would only operate if they can make money out of the options.

Basically, with international banking, the funds would inevitably involved with at least 3 or more banks and to complicate things, different countries may have different banking systems and regulations.

It has really nothing to do with Paypal. As long as you involved international banking, you will really see the fees piling up. In fact, I've used physical checks and wire transfer options, the paypal option despite the fees is still the cheapest option to receiving money.

10. RenatoMN

RenatoMN Peon

Best Answers:
    The USD to my local currency conversion rate is exactly 2.5%

Not difference at all - its a lot better than pay 12-15% for local traders who charge to send me USD on Paypal.

RenatoMN, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  11. SEOLinker

SEOLinker Banned

Best Answers:
    2.5% for exchange currency ? wtf ? atm charges 1% in my country.

And also I noticed that probably paypal thinks I am having ukrainian grivnyas in my account and convert them to USD...What a BS...I have USD account and fill it with USD too.

Another proof that paypal is total BS

SEOLinker, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  12. SEOLinker

SEOLinker Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes, just got verified in paypal account. So whole story!

1. I have debit card in USD, it was created like USD card.

2. When I pay with PP and funds charged from my CC, I get 2 currency exchange operations on each transactions ???!!!!

Payment To xxxx
    Currency Conversion (credit) To U.S. Dollar From Ukrainian Hryvnia
    Currency Conversion (debit) From Ukrainian Hryvnia To U.S. Dollar
    Transfer From Credit Card

WTF is going on ? Which exchanges ? I have USD and pay with them...

I am not dealing with exchange service and not needed it. I want to deal with payment processor.

FUCK you paypal! no matter what! this is ridiculuos and no explanations needed for that, just BS

13. progenic

progenic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What a real jowk... this paypal conversion is not updated

progenic, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  14. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    If the Debit Card and/or your mailing address is not the US, it would by default convert to your local currency. However, to prevent this from happening, the next time you pay, on the Payment Methods, click on the 'Other Conversion Options' link then select 'Bill me in the currency listed on the seller's invoice.'. By doing that, you will be billed in USD and your credit card company would do the conversion if any. By default, they will convert to your local currency.

Before you start blaming Paypal, make sure that you check all the available options. Besides, it would be unusual for a non-US citizen or resident to be using a Credit Card/Debit Card in USD.

Incidentally which bank issued the Debit Card ?

eddy2099, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  15. SEOLinker

SEOLinker Banned

Best Answers:
    "Besides, it would be unusual for a non-US citizen or resident to be using a Credit Card/Debit Card in USD." I don't think so, it made just to make my life easier and control spending so I will not need that exchanges like now. And it is very usual cause dollar goes everywhere in the world, so it's very clear that I make car to pay internationally without any stupid exchanges. If I will need from time to time I will make a card in local currency to pay locally and ocasionally will pay internationally with exchanges - sounds very clear to me.

Also what about payoneer or epassporte cards ? Mainly non-residents use them. And all right!

Ukrsibbank issued it and have ALL legal rights to do so, which in paypal case I highly doubt!

"If the Debit Card and/or your mailing address is not the US, it would by default convert to your local currency." Very strange, cause I noticed that just recently, I mean all that conversions. Looks like another option to gain as much money as possible from customers, while not needed absolutely from logic point of view!

"Before you start blaming Paypal, make sure that you check all the available options." I thought paypal will make life easier, not harder with it's "options"

"However, to prevent this from happening, the next time you pay, on the Payment Methods, click on the 'Other Conversion Options' link then select 'Bill me in the currency listed on the seller's invoice.'." Where I can find it ? Looks I can't get it.

16. 2-4-K

2-4-K Peon

Best Answers:
    Paypal say they have a margin of 2.5% over the currency exchange rate.. which blows..

But XE is the raw rae and its almost impossible to get that rate at any FX dealer or bank..

I recommend holding the GBP in your a/c as GBP and not converting it to AUD unless you really need the money.. then using the funds in GBP as money to purchase then the person you buy from carries the FX charge.. also the AUD is very high these days so if it drops in the next two weeks you might pick up an extra 1 - 2 % on your side of the deal.

But yes I hate the whole Paypal FX exchange deal..

2-4-K, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  17. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    When you Pay for an item, you will be prompted with the Payment Methods.

I am using the Payoneer card myself and it is billed in US dollars by default. For my Singapore credit card, I have the option to opt to bill in local currency or in US$.

eddy2099, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  18. SEOLinker

SEOLinker Banned

Best Answers:
    It seems I only can choose currency (which to pay, but not have my local for sure) options, amount of payment, and ability to choose from ebay, goods, or services. That's it. Will try to look more in future though.

19. RenatoMN

RenatoMN Peon

Best Answers:
    SEOLinker,

your searching on the "Send Money" screen, not a payment for an invoice generated on the receiver side.

RenatoMN, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  20. SEOLinker

SEOLinker Banned

Best Answers:
    Ah, so on receiver side ? I can only pay, not receive.