1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Paypal Chargeback won once, now it is being counter-claimed -.-

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Kevvers, Aug 26, 2009.

Loooong long story, but basically someone tried to buy something from me using paypal. The payment was put on hold by paypal review and then returned to the buyer a few hours later as being possibly unauthorised.

Low and behold a week later, the buyer files a chargeback against the payment. Even though it never completed, and I never received it.

A week or so after that, the case was removed from paypal and I got an email saying they where disputing the chargeback. I forgot all about it until today, when I logged into paypal and saw the case had been reopened o.0

26 Aug. 2009 PayPal Case under review
    26 Aug. 2009 PayPal Counter-claim received from card issuer

But looking under status details, it says

'This matter has been resolved and no funds were debited from your account for this chargeback. We were charged a fee for processing this chargeback and have debited your account a Chargeback Settlement Fee.'

Now I never sent the goods to him as I never received the payment. But how/why have the credit card issuer countered the claim? The payment was never completed as it was refused by paypal. I never had control of the funds and they never appeared in my paypal account. I don't understand what this has to do with me at all. It's like going up to a random person in a street and saying I gave you £700 now I want it back. That is basically what is happening.

What happens if paypal loose the dispute? They will have to pay the credit card issuer £700?? Where exactly would that come from? It better not be me as a) I don't have £700 to give and b) It's not even me returning the money as I never got it in the first place. It would be MY money that has nothing to do with paypal.

Any advice?

Kevvers, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  2. coolamazer

coolamazer Peon

Best Answers:
    The thing is that what they are asking you for is a settlement fee. Credit card companies charge extra for transactions which are done as a part of charge backs. If the buyer wins the case then seller needs to pay the full amount he received plus the settlement fees.

coolamazer, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  3. fathom

fathom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's the problem with using a 3rd party to process transactions.

There are too many hands in the pot and no matter which one screws up - the others don't work for free and you are the only one the 3rd party processor can charge for the time and effort.

Cost of doing business that way.

fathom, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  4. dantheman345

dantheman345 Peon

Best Answers:
    I hate people I have had 3 account froze for no reason , They even stole 1200 from my account one time. Don't trust me read for yourself at paypalsucks.com

dantheman345, Aug 29, 2009 IP
  5. campolar

campolar Peon

Best Answers:
    3 accounts? Bet they were unverified and fake accounts. PayPal doesn't allow you more than 2 accounts (1 premier/business and 1 personal) so how were you using 3? :rolleyes:

And paypalsucks.com sucks itself. There is even a site for Google Sucks, would you agree with them?

Just play safe and you're fine..

And as for the OP, find out how much is the settlement fees. Since you never got the payment, you dont have to pay the whole money, ony the settlement fees (i hav no idea how much that can be :D)

campolar, Aug 29, 2009 IP
  6. cracknut

cracknut Peon

Best Answers:
    Tough luck dude. Just google up some sites to help you with the dispute.

cracknut, Aug 29, 2009 IP
  7. LauraLemons

LauraLemons Peon

Best Answers:
    Dangit PayPal...those fiends! Yet another WTF moment in Paypal history.

They charged my boyfriend 30 bucks to make a deposit into his bank account.

LauraLemons, Aug 30, 2009 IP
  8. macros

macros Peon

Best Answers:
    google checkout.

macros, Aug 30, 2009 IP