1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Paypal Chargeback Scam with a twist. What do i do now?

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by Jon S, Jul 17, 2018.

Hello everyone I'm trying to figure out what I can do about this nasty predicament I'm in. I sold a computer on Ebay for 860$ since I just started a new job after being out of work for a couple months and my funds were getting close to 0. Anyway I was about to drive down to ups and ship it to the person, but there was something weird about the address it had "PPS CKDJW..."basically a bunch of gumbled up random letters. So obviously that didn't seem right, after googling the address it was some big warehouse in the middle of no where. So then I went looking through forums and found multiple people that had this chargeback scam and it was to the same address, and it had the same weird random letters in their address. The twist in this story is that I haven't shipped it yet knowing its a scam now, but I had already taken most of the money out of my Paypal to pay bills. So I cant exactly just return the money. I could sell my laptop locally to help cover the fees but, would still end up out all the ebay and paypal fees. I'm assuming Paypal can take money straight out of my debit account which would leave me with nothing. So what do I do, don't ship it and get screw*d or ship it insured and with a signature and probably still get screw*d plus 60$ in shipping.

*Sorry for posting in wrong thread please move if possible.*

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Jon S, Jul 17, 2018 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    So we're assuming that you will get a chargeback regardless of whether you ship or not.
    Therefore don't ship.
    Sell locally if you can because you have to keep your PayPal balance above zero - that's a must, non-negotiable.
    Does eBay give you the opportunity to say the deal fell through? If not, then you just have to suck it up and accept that you've lost the fees money ($60), that's the cost of doing business through them.

In the future, don't spend money you don't actually have. Wait until the deal has cleared any chargeback timeline before withdrawing.

sarahk, Jul 17, 2018 IP
  3. Jon S

Jon S Peon

Best Answers:
    Obviously I was naïve and should have made a better judgement call.

I have no problem paying Paypal as I don't enjoy hurting others, but I will probably be around 200$ short and that I wouldn't be able to cover till I get my first check in about 2 weeks. So should I just send Paypal an email right now, explaining the situation and hope they will work with me? I just really cant have them take the money out of my bank and leave me with a negative balance. Since the process takes some time should I just not say or do anything until I can pay the full balance (but then I look like the bad guy)?

Jon S, Jul 17, 2018 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Send the letter.
    I would expect them to take the money, but your letter will buy you time with the negative balance and will show that you are willing to work with them.

Don't beat yourself up for being naive, you're not the first and you won't be the last. Learn from it and move on.

sarahk, Jul 17, 2018 IP
  5. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Calling PP is probably a better idea. Faster, plus they may suggest the correct course of action.

qwikad.com, Jul 17, 2018 IP
  6. Jon S

Jon S Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for you advice, I've been so stressed recently I cant think straight and I appreciate the help. I should be able to sell the computer tomorrow and then I can put that in my Paypal and I can call them. Maybe they'll give me a grace period if I show I have every intention of paying them back.

Jon S, Jul 17, 2018 IP
    sarahk likes this.