1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PayPal and Filing Tax in India For Freelancer

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by The-Joker, Feb 1, 2011.

1. The-Joker

The-Joker Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you are wrong. Individuals can show themselves as self proprietor in India. You won't require to register and you can use PAN card on your name for business and pay taxes accordingly. Through this I think you can deduct amount paid to the employees in taxes. Let me know what are your thoughts on this.

The-Joker, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  2. spotwriters

spotwriters Active Member

Best Answers:
    Okay, I am not aware of self proprietorship. So how will you show the amount paid to your employees? In such case what deduction will you use?

spotwriters, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  3. The-Joker

The-Joker Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are paying via PayPal best way would be to ask employees to send a simple invoice. Since we are talking about freelancing, an invoice explaining the work they have done and the amount to be paid will do it. Then you can deduct the amount from the total revenues which will reduce your profits on which you will pay the taxes.

I have heard that you don't require to attach any documents with ITR-4 form, although I am not sure about that. Therefore keep the printed records of monthly account statements from PayPal and attach the invoices for that month along with it.

I am not expert, still searching for solutions therefore I am not sure about any of this. Correct me where I am wrong.

4. tempest-tossed

tempest-tossed Active Member

Best Answers:
    What kind of tax-free are you talking about? Say, I am a sole-proprietor and run the business in the firm's name and receive money through bank wire in the firm's bank account, in such case, do I get any tax benefit in India?

tempest-tossed, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  5. ifreakz

ifreakz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, Wire Transfers are not taxable. Just consult your CA. The Govt is earning foreign currency that helps the economy.

ifreakz, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  6. tempest-tossed

tempest-tossed Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, I will consult soon. Btw, if I am a freelancer and get the money by wire transfer, is it still tax free? Or is it applicable only for firms (sole-proprietorship, partnership, etc) ?

tempest-tossed, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  7. ifreakz

Best Answers:
    Laws are applicable for all.
    If you are self-owner of a firm, then your PAN card is the pan card of the firm as well, your bank profit serves as profit for the firm.

ifreakz, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  8. The-Joker

The-Joker Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think wire transfers are tax free. If your income crosses 1,60,000 mark than you will have to pay tax also submit PAN card to your Bank else bank will deduct TDS starting this year.

9. Red_Virus

Red_Virus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Any money that comes in your BANK is taxable sir, nothing like wire transfers are free. they are not exempted.

Red_Virus, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  10. ifreakz

Best Answers:
    right, But there are reductions. Not totally free.

ifreakz, Feb 10, 2011 IP
  11. rahuldas14

rahuldas14 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    From 1st March paypal balance needs to withdrawn within 7 days. Moreover you cant pay anyone from paypal.
    So for tax show your bank statement. If you are using credit card to pay your employees show those bills as expenses. Another thing which I like about our Govt is the sole propertiership idea. You can add your computer, electricity, home rent, internet, phonebills etc as expenses. You will need your PAN card and thats all you will need.

rahuldas14, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  12. sannyhenry

sannyhenry Peon

Best Answers:
    Very good thread for Indians I am also suffering with this problem and got the good answers here. Thanks to all for their valuable suggestions.

sannyhenry, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  13. asvd22

asvd22 Greenhorn

Best Answers:

Posting a question to old thread. Hope I get reply here. Do we need attach the electricity bills, internet bills to claim as business expenses? I work from home, so how to show my part of electricity expenses when the bill paid is for entire home usage?

So anybody can confirm now that whether we need to attach documents as proof with ITR-4 form?

asvd22, Mar 14, 2013 IP
  14. rahuldas14

rahuldas14 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Obviously you cant claim the whole electricity bill. You can mention a decent amount as your expenses.

rahuldas14, Mar 22, 2013 IP
  15. nihangshah

nihangshah Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You don't have to attach any documents when filing Income Tax returns

nihangshah, Mar 22, 2013 IP
  16. asvd22

asvd22 Greenhorn

Best Answers:

Thanks for the information. I feel the filing of income tax should be easy for freelancers like ITR-1 form. Filling ITR-4 is too difficult.

asvd22, Mar 23, 2013 IP
  17. asvd22

asvd22 Greenhorn

Best Answers:

Thanks for the useful info. Do anybody here take the pain in submitting ITR-4 form?

asvd22, Mar 23, 2013 IP