1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Payment-gateway page showing as referral source in Google Analytics when customers buy through it.

Discussion in 'Google Analytics' started by Billybobtwobop, Feb 5, 2016.

Hi Analytics folks. I've come across a bit of a head scratcher with this one.

Basically an ecommerce client uses a secure payment gateway to handle purchases, but GA interprets this as the source of the visitor when customers buy through it, which screws up the data!

I've tried excluding the payment gateway domain, but to no avail.

Any help would be hugely appreciated

Billybobtwobop, Feb 5, 2016 IP
  2. AdrianWheeler

AdrianWheeler Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hey Mate,

I have this issue everytime I set up an eCommerce store. You need to jump into PayPal and set 'utm_nooverride' to 1 in the retun from PayPal so it credits the original source of the customer to the sale.

Basically go to Website Preferences in PayPal and turn on Auto Return, then set the URL to the success page or your eCommerce store with ?utm_nooverride=1 appended

If that isn't overly clear I wrote a tutorial for myself so I'd remember next time with screenshots:

http://theagencyjournal.com/block-paypal-payment-gateway-referrals-in-google-analytics/

Hope that helps!

AdrianWheeler, Feb 5, 2016 IP