1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Payment from Germany to US (Non-Credit Card)

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by ViciousSummer, Aug 26, 2004.

I just got an email from a German customer that needs my bank account information in order to transfer payment from their account to mine...Is this a legitimate request? I would assume that it would be safe since you can get the account number and routing number off any check anyways, right? Does any one have any other suggestions on how someone in Germany can send money without using a credit card?
    SEMrush

ViciousSummer, Aug 26, 2004 IP
    SEMrush
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's a legitimate request, I have customers wire money to my bank all the time. Just make sure *they* pay the wire transfer fees if your bank charges for an incoming wire.

digitalpoint, Aug 26, 2004 IP
  3. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    How much would an average bank charge for an incoming wire transfer? This order is big enough that I may just not worry about charging them extra to pay for it :D .

4. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Bank transfer is th only real way. But you can transfer by Western Union etc, but this is expensive as it is a % of value

Old Welsh Guy, Aug 26, 2004 IP
  5. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    US banks generally will charge anywhere from $0 to $20 for an inbound wire. Call your bank to find out for your account.

Or, have them send Western Union via http://www.sendwu.com hah!

6. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    I already thought of that, but you don't get commission from an international transaction ;) , right?

7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Oh yeah, that's right. Don't do that... :) Of course, if they were going to do a Western Union transfer online with a credit card, I guess they could give you a credit card to begin with. heh

8. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    hulkster, Aug 26, 2004 IP
  9. msaad

msaad Peon

Best Answers:
    Rates for both Western Union and Wire transfers depend highly on the country (and the bank!).
    Here (in Egypt), a wire transfer costs a minimum of $35!! Western Union ain't much better either. They start at $20, and can go up to unbelievable numbers really! :)

I hope Germany has better rates than the ones we have here! :mad:

msaad, Aug 26, 2004 IP
  10. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    ViciousSummer, Aug 27, 2004 IP
  11. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't want to turn Shawn's forums into a total anchor text spamfest, but I thought some tongue-n-cheek humor would be cute - I see you share that. BTW, while the Hulk looks pretty good at Halloween and I get a LOT of trick-or-treaters, I haven't had anyone show up in any of your outfits ... yet! ;-)

hulkster, Aug 27, 2004 IP
  12. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    Well, since I really can't wait to see your Halloween decorations, it's not really anchor text spamming is it? ;)

I'll let you know when I ship a costume to colorado, so you can keep an eye out ... You know, your wife would make a really cute Little Red Riding Hood :D !

13. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    Ha, not a lot of people have credit cards in good old Germany - we love cash - also they have a bankcard that allows payment ans withdrawls similar to a debit card - banktransfers are a legitamate and often used payment method in Germany.

International transfers have become cheaper in G and thus if you have a verified e-mail address it should be OK. Just check with your bank if there are any additional charges your end and insist on the transfer in USD.

Be happy that they not ask for "Lastshrift" which is alien evrywhere else as the seller instructs his bank to get the money from the customers bank... strange but true...

M

expat, Aug 27, 2004 IP
  14. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:

Ummmmm ... I'm not sure if I should pass that on to my wife - she'll wonder what type of forums I frequent! ;-)
    alek

hulkster, Aug 27, 2004 IP
  15. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    RED FLAGS!

Big order - wire transfer. My first thought is scam. Yet, Germany may be different but scammers will request your account number and want to place large orders.

I would be very careful with this one, unless you have reasons to believe otherwise.

Sorry if I burst your bubble, but get online and search for things about internet order scams and you will see why I warn you.

debunked, Aug 27, 2004 IP
  16. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Actually, wire transfers are the safest if it's inbound, because they cannot be reversed. And also the reason scammers use them. As long as you are on the receiving end, you are fine though.

digitalpoint, Aug 27, 2004 IP
  17. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    She seems legit to me and I didn't give any info that you couldn't get off of a check anyways. She's a webmistress/fetish model, so she can probably write-off $300 in lingerie..haha. :D . I guess I'll know in 7 days if I've been ripped off :p .

18. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    $300 isn't all that much, especially if it were a scam... My favorites are the Nigerians that call saying their name is Justin Mark (or Aaron Jennifer, Timothy William, Mark John - get it yet?) asking if they can buy 15 pairs of shoes, and 15 t-shirts.. when you ask them what sizes, they say, "it doesnt matter"... Youd they they would get better that this..

schlottke, Aug 27, 2004 IP
  19. Rob

Rob Guest

Best Answers:
    This is pretty standard in Germany (I live and work here and it took me a while to get used to the changes from the US). In Germany they almost never use credit cards and think that our idea of sending around paper checks is pretty ridiculous. They make payments for everything - rent, utilities, to friends, for online purchases, etc by "Ãœberweisung" - direct bank transfer from one account to another. The banks here don't charge for it (any more than they charge for checks in the US) and it can be done from the online banking centers or from ATM's at each bank.

Such a request coming from Germany is probably legitimate.

Rob, Sep 4, 2004 IP
  20. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    Wow, that is really interesting (being able to wire transfer at atm's, etc)! Thanks for the info :D !

I also found out that US banks have different routing numbers for international transactions. So, if anyone is selling overseas and accepts wire transfers, call your bank and get the international routing number so you can have it handy.

ViciousSummer, Sep 5, 2004 IP