1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Paying for Directory listing - worth it? results?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by bigbody300, Oct 21, 2009.

hey guys

I am looking into paying for a directory listing in Yahoo, joe ant, business.com etc - you know the GOOD, HIGH VALUE diectories

Has anyone here done this - see any SERP boost? traffic. Any advide would help since the payment is hefty..

bigbody300, Oct 21, 2009 IP
  2. tameem

tameem Peon

Best Answers:
    There are a lot of high quality web directories offer you one way links for free

tameem, Oct 21, 2009 IP
  3. bigbody300

bigbody300 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    please name a few - as all the ones i know of are have no google value

bigbody300, Oct 21, 2009 IP
  4. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    What I do is start with a list of good value directories. Then go to the page where my site will be listed. Take some of the text from that page and see if it comes up in a google search. If it does, then I'm fairly certain that Google respects that directory and I'll get some link juice from the listing. In addition, if the page shows in the Google SERPs in the top 10 for snippets of text then there is a good chance I'll get a hit or two from the directory as well.

freelistfool, Oct 21, 2009 IP
  5. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It totally depends on how much business and revenues your site can give you. Many webmasters prefer having 100s of smaller websites each earning them $100 or less per month. The likes of Yahoo etc. don't make any sense. At the same time, for a small business these listings can send potential buyers too.

jitendraag, Oct 21, 2009 IP
  6. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see any reason to pay for a list. There are plenty of free ones around that are likely better. I takes quite the effort to keep a list updated. Check my signature for a good one.

CanadianEh, Oct 21, 2009 IP
  7. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    IMO, many free directories are just like spam farm...

xc06, Oct 21, 2009 IP
  8. alistair80

alistair80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. Even if the initial idea of the owner behind the project was different, most free directories become spam farm over time and get neglected, sold, re-sold or...parked! Time, money and knowledge are the basic requirements to run a succesful directory. If you dont have the money to invest (most free directories lack investment), your business wont survive...and why would you put your time on something that's dying anyway? >> Unless of course you want to made it paid ;)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
    alistair80, Oct 21, 2009 IP
  9. hotftuna

hotftuna Active Member

Best Answers:
    When promoting a site, I look to see what directories my top competitors are in. I want to be in those directories regardless if they are free or paid.

hotftuna, Oct 21, 2009 IP
  10. Caesar1

Caesar1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree or just look at the sites that are on top in the keywords you want to rank high. I know my competitors are in BOTW, Yahoo, Scaffe, Joe Ant ect.

Caesar1, Oct 21, 2009 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  11. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The time spent manually submitting to directories is often better spent elsewhere like adding a page to your blog and hoping you get somebody to link to it.

Ibn Juferi, Oct 21, 2009 IP
  12. jeto01

jeto01 Peon

Best Answers:
    If a site is already getting 4,000 unique daily visitors, would it make a difference to submit to yahoo directory? Or is it a waste of money?

jeto01, Oct 24, 2009 IP
  13. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I guess it all depends on what your overall expectations are. If you are asking if you list your site in say the top three highest paid directories, will you see a bump in your ranking, PR, indexed pages? I'd have to say, maybe-maybe no. Could you? Yes. Should that be the overall goal? No.

You need to look at the entire picture. And your main goal should always be TRAFFIC. Traffic = conversion. Conversion = income. Income is better than rank, PR, etc..

What I am saying is that listing within paid directories should be one part of a larger source of traffic driving initiatives which in turn can result in higher PR, higher rank and more indexed pages.

Again, your number one goal should be exposure that drives traffic. Get that, and nothing else really matters!

Mia, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  14. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    High quality directories do carry authority, and it is not a waste of time submitting to them. The problem is people frown on the cost of high quality, especially when it is a permanent listing. There are some directories that will be around ten years from now. So spending $300 for a permanent listing is affordable in the long run - and that is assuming you believe in your site enough that it too will be around a decade from now.

Check out this list of the best paid directories. I believe you will find the cream of the crop here, but I know there are others. Regardless, these are the top directories out there. And yes, they carry authority and are trusted by the search engines because they don't let anything in just because someone paid for a review.

snowbird, Oct 26, 2009 IP
    robjones likes this.
  15. 500ml

500ml Peon

Best Answers:
    OPTION 1: spend all day submitting to directories,
    OPTION 2: spend all day writing a single quality post for your blog and submitting it once in a relevant niche forum or authority site where there are active viewers that will care and read it, then you might get a free and more authoritative links from some of them naturally.

OPTION 3: Try Option 1 on Site #1, Try Option 2 on site #2

Then test and ask yourself what is worth doing more

500ml, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  16. music legend

music legend Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    not worth it

think about how many directories you have actually scrolled through to find a site you want....much less signed up for

music legend, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  17. Traffic-Bug

Traffic-Bug Active Member

Best Answers:
    BOTW, joeant etc are some of the well-known paid directories out there on the net. I am not sure if paying for a directory listing is actually worth the money. Because it is just another backlink unless the PR of the linking directory site is too high. You could be able to get the same type of backlink from a blog farm ( a blog network spread across multiple different IPs )

Traffic-Bug, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  18. networktemple

networktemple Peon

Best Answers:
    I only accept Australian Business Listings but if you’re paying for it then i can make an exception.

networktemple, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  19. nikonjems

nikonjems Peon

Best Answers:
    yes if you submit your site in yahoo directory obviously yahoo and Google gives you some reputation on their search engine.

nikonjems, Oct 27, 2009 IP
  20. topclass21

topclass21 Member

Best Answers:
    it's paying lot of money in this directory.

topclass21, Oct 27, 2009 IP