1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Pay per impression and viewing your own site

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by ambrose, Mar 10, 2006.

Adsense now appears to be offering a site targetted service where the advertiser nominates the site or sites he wants to use and then pays per ad impression. What happens then if you view your own site? Is this like clicking ads on your site and what will Google do? The terms and conditions seem to indicate that you should not cause page impressions of the ads on your site. How then can you view the site preoperly?

ambrose, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  2. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    That is an excellent observation. I've been wondering this myself.

The answer -- for today -- seems to be that the amounts of money involved are so small that no one cares.

Will.Spencer, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  3. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    In answer to the how: If you are using perl, php, asp or similar for you site, it wouldn't be difficult to set up a small php (or perl?) script to stop ads loading when you visit your own site. Just a simple check for a cookie, or check against a list of IPs, for example.

ryan_uk, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  4. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yah, even if you updated everyday, and do what most people do and check to make sure all the links work, etc, (by opening the page you just updated), the impressions are so minimal I don't think anyone cares. At the most it's what, 5-10 impressions? At the fewest it's 1-2. Unless you just sat there and kept refreshing for some unGodly reason, this seems like a non-issue.

jackburton2006, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  5. Perry

Perry Guest

Best Answers:
    Could be a small issue if you are talking about forums though. Still, not a big issue. At the most, you are only causing the advertisers to pay a few extra pennies, literally.

Perry, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  6. mike323

mike323 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what if an obsessive compulsive owns the site? you're literally talking hundreds of page refreshes. who's going to pay for that? who? :D

actually i commented on this same issue when google announced this new feature on another forum. i can't believe they wouldn't foresee the issue that would arise. people have to go to view their site when they update it. and if you're having a annoying display problem on your site that may require hundreds of page refreshes until it's fixed...it's seems google opened up a new can of worms

mike323, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  7. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    If that's the case, Adsense and a website is the least of your worries.

jackburton2006, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  8. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:
    They may allready have a safe guard in place for this or are working on one. If not then they will once they realise their mistake.

TheNetCode, Mar 11, 2006 IP
  9. bargainr

bargainr Peon

Best Answers:
    Perhaps it only counts uniques... despite showing "impressions"

bargainr, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  10. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont know, but seems that if they did it this way it would not make the program worth the time and effort for smaller publishers.

TheNetCode, Mar 12, 2006 IP