1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Password protecting directories and running scripts

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by gummybear, Mar 16, 2008.

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to site administration. I have a simple question. If I password protect my directory where the scripts are located, would the scripts still be able to execute for the public?

Say I have some scripts located at directory: www/ScriptsNameHere
    My content pages are located in: www

Since the directory ScriptsNameHere would be password protected by htpassword or something (I used Cpanel's directory password protection function), will my content pages still be able to access and execute the scripts in that dir?

Thanks for your time,
    James

gummybear, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  2. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    access to protected folders requires entering password each time the folder is accessed
    there is no reason for RUNNING scripts in protected folders. we typically have the folder
    /cgi-bin
    on a domain to run all scripts

hans, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  3. gummybear

gummybear Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your response Hans. However my script is a php script and it appears to be working just fine while protected with htpassword or whatever it is that Cpanel is using.

I am concerned, however, that there may be problems that I'm not aware of. The folder that is protected is the administration control panel (not cpanel, but the script's admin section) so that is the reason why I want extra password protection.

gummybear, Mar 16, 2008 IP