1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Parsing JSON table: hiding a row, changing color of word.

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by 7643sfsag6, Jun 30, 2018.

Hi all,

I am using jquery to convert a google spreadsheet to JSON that produces a HTML table.

I would like to:
    - hide one of the rows that has the phrase "E9" in it.
    - change the color of the phrase "C12" to red.

I have tried many scripts, but to no avail!

Here is the code I currently have.

Thank you very much!

<html>
    <head>
      <script src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-3.1.0.js"></script>
        <script>      
          //google spreadsheet
      var spData=null;function doData(a){spData=a.feed.entry}function drawCell(b,c,a){var d=$(a?"<th/>":"<td/>");b.append(d);d.append(c);return d}function drawRow(a,e,d){if(e==null){return null}if(e.length==0){return null}var b=$("<tr/>");if(d){b.addClass("head")}a.append(b);for(var f=0;f<e.length;f++){drawCell(b,e[f],((f==0)||d))}return b}function drawTable(a){var b=$("<table/>");a.append(b);return b}function readData(b){var f=spData;var d=drawTable(b);var e=[];var h=0;for(var c=0;c<f.length;c++){var a=f[c]["gs$cell"];var g=a["$t"];if(a.col==1){drawRow(d,e,(h==1));e=[];h++}e.push(g)}drawRow(d,e,(h==1))}$(document).ready(function(){readData($("#data"))});

//Hide Row based on Phrase
        $("#data tr:contains('E9')").hide ();

//change color of phrase: C12
          $('table').each(function(){
       $(this).html(
            $(this).html()
           .replace(
                  /(?<!-)(\bC12\b)(?!([^<]+)?>)(?!-)/ig,
                 '<span style="color:green;">$1</span>'
            )
        );
    });

</script>
    </head>
    <body>

<script src="https://spreadsheets.google.com/feeds/cells/1LM353z3Q8EeYVC2Lpxta8p4U4QBP_ih8vzERA9dh_D4/1/public/values?alt=json-in-script&callback=doData">
      </script>

<div class="box-table" id="spreadsheet" style="overflow-x:auto!important;">
    <table id="data"></table>
    </div>

</body>
    </html>

HTML:

7643sfsag6, Jun 30, 2018 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I use datatables.net's jquery plugin and they have a process for allowing you to alter the content before it's shown. I prefer to do it on the server but I do have some cases where I've used javascript and it works fine. Have you trialled that plugin?

sarahk, Jun 30, 2018 IP
  3. 7643sfsag6

7643sfsag6 Member

Best Answers:
    basically i dont really want to edit it server side because i will port that data to several sites, and then i want to use a code in one column to show or hide only certain data on different pages....

7643sfsag6, Jul 1, 2018 IP
  4. 7643sfsag6

7643sfsag6 Member

Best Answers:
    working now thanks to @m_hutley over at sitepoint forums

<html>
    <head>
      <script src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-3.1.0.js"></script>
        <script>
    var spData=null;function doData(a){spData=a.feed.entry}function drawCell(b,c,a){var d=$(a?"<th/>":"<td/>");b.append(d);d.append(c);return d}function drawRow(a,e,d){if(e==null){return null}if(e.length==0){return null}var b=$("<tr/>");if(d){b.addClass("head")}a.append(b);for(var f=0;f<e.length;f++){drawCell(b,e[f],((f==0)||d))}return b}function drawTable(a){var b=$("<table/>");a.append(b);return b}function readData(b){var f=spData;var d=drawTable(b);var e=[];var h=0;for(var c=0;c<f.length;c++){var a=f[c]["gs$cell"];var g=a["$t"];if(a.col==1){drawRow(d,e,(h==1));e=[];h++}e.push(g)}drawRow(d,e,(h==1))};
    function loadAndColor(data) {
      doData(data);
      readData($("#data"));
    //Hide Row based on Phrase
    $("#data tr:contains('E9')").hide();
    //change color of phrase: B10
    $("#data td:contains('B10')").each(function() { $(this).html($(this).html().replace(/\bB10\b/ig,'<span style="color:green;">B10</span>'))});
    };
      </script>
    </head>
    <body>
      <div class="box-table" id="spreadsheet" style="overflow-x:auto!important;">
    <div id="data"></div>
    <script src="https://spreadsheets.google.com/feeds/cells/1LM353z3Q8EeYVC2Lpxta8p4U4QBP_ih8vzERA9dh_D4/1/public/values?alt=json-in-script&callback=loadAndColor">
      </script>
    </div>
    </body>
    </html>
    Code (markup):

7643sfsag6, Jul 1, 2018 IP
  5. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry I'm late to the party.. but DAMN... and people wonder why I say jQuery is fat bloated halfwitted incompetent TRASH!?!? -- nothing like using as much if not more code than needed whilst crapping out outmoded innerHTML methodology, pointless onload crap, and a host of other 'hurr durrz eyes cans has teh intarwebsies" development mental midgetry!

Rather than hard coding your elements for colouration and removal one at a time in post processing, I would modify the JSON parsing script to not only do it on the fly, but to include the means to pass it MULTIPLE values for colouration! Then we kick jQuery to the curb and actually bother using the DOM to build the table... whilst at it might not be a bad idea to make sure your TH also have the proper SCOPE applied to them.

<!DOCTYPE html><html><head><meta charset="utf-8">
    </head><body>

<div id="data"></div>

<script>

var googleSheetParser = {
    	appendToId : 'data',
    	colorValues : {
    		'B5' : 'blue',
    		'H6' : 'green',
    		'C12' : 'red'
    	},
    	excludeRowsContaining : [ 'E9' ]
    };

(function(d) { // SIF to isolate scope and reduce call overhead to document

function make(tagName, parent, content) {
    		var e = d.createElement(tagName);
    		if (content) e.appendChild(d.createTextNode(content));
    		if (parent) {
    			if ('object' !== typeof parent)
    				parent = d.getElementById(parent);
    			parent.appendChild(e);
    		}
    		return e;
    	}

googleSheetParser.parse = function(data) {
    		var
    			table = make('table', this.appendToId),
    			thead = make('thead', table),
    			tbody = make('tbody', table),
    			colWidth = 0,
    			tr;
    		for (var i = 0, entry; entry = data.feed.entry[i]; i++) {
    			var cell = entry['gs$cell'];
    			if (cell.col == 1) tr = make('tr', i == 0 ? thead : tbody);
    			if (tr) {
    				if (this.excludeRowsContaining.indexOf(cell['$t']) !== -1) {
    					tr.parentNode.removeChild(tr);
    					tr = false;
    				} else {
    					var
    						value = cell['$t'];
    						cellElement = make(
    							cell.col == 1 || cell.row == 1 ? 'th' : 'td',
    							tr,
    							value
    						);
    					if (cell.row == 1) cellElement.scope = 'col';
    					else if (cell.col == 1) cellElement.scope = 'row';
    					if (this.colorValues[value])
    						cellElement.style.color = this.colorValues[value];
    				}
    			}
    		}
    	}

})(document);

</script>

<script src="https://spreadsheets.google.com/feeds/cells/1LM353z3Q8EeYVC2Lpxta8p4U4QBP_ih8vzERA9dh_D4/1/public/values?alt=json-in-script&callback=googleSheetParser.parse"></script>

<!--
    	At this point you could actually change the values of appendToId,
    	colorValues, and excludeRowsContaining to call this again to insert another sheet into another element with new rules.
    -->

</body></html>
    Code (markup):
    Might look like more code -- it isn't, it's just verbose, since if we minify JUST the SIF...

var googleSheetParser = {
    	appendToId : 'data',
    	colorValues : {
    		'B5' : 'blue',
    		'H6' : 'green',
    		'C12' : 'red'
    	},
    	excludeRowsContaining : [ 'E9' ]
    };

(function(f){function c(d,a,c){d=f.createElement(d);c&&d.appendChild(f.createTextNode(c));a&&("object"!==typeof a&&(a=f.getElementById(a)),a.appendChild(d));return d}googleSheetParser.parse=function(d){var a=c("table",this.appendToId),f=c("thead",a);a=c("tbody",a);for(var e,g=0,b;b=d.feed.entry[g];g++)if(b=b.gs$cell,1==b.col&&(e=c("tr",0==g?f:a)),e)if(-1!==this.excludeRowsContaining.indexOf(b.$t))e.parentNode.removeChild(e),e=!1;else{var h=b.$t;cellElement=c(1==b.col||1==b.row?"th":"td",e,h);1==b.row?
    cellElement.scope="col":1==b.col&&(cellElement.scope="row");this.colorValues[h]&&(cellElement.style.color=this.colorValues[h])}}})(document);

Code (markup):
    It's 817 bytes.. that 'working' version from your last post is 1006 bytes to do the same thing... well apart from the fact this can trap multiple conditions quickly and easily, works directly on the DOM instead of derping things out as markup, properly fills in the SCOPE attributes, properly builds separate thead and tbody, etc, etc...

But yeah, tell me again how jQuery made that 'simpler' or 'easier' for you.

[​IMG]

Note, if this were for actual production use, I'd be passing classes for the TD's that match the data, and not style.color. Say WHY it's getting colour then control that stuff from the stylesheet. Also those rows that only have one TH may need to be trapped to not have scope but instead have all the following rows point to it for headers="", but that's getting a bit complicated for something that -- since this is entirely scripting built -- is already telling accessibility to go f*** itself.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    deathshadow, Jul 3, 2018 IP