1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Parse RSS Feeds (and create static content) using .ASP?

Discussion in 'C#' started by Canton, Mar 1, 2005.

Hi all - I'm looking for a specific tool or software that allows for the parsing of news feeds from around the web into my web site. The catch is that I need it in the .ASP language/platform and would like it to produce static content rather than the js-type script that most parsers make.

I've come across RSStatic, which looks to be a great tool, but it appears to only work with PHP, which I can't use.

Does anyone know of a tool similar to RSStatic that works in .ASP, or perhaps a version of this or any other tool that has been modified to work in .ASP?

Thanks in advance,

~Canton

Canton, Mar 1, 2005 IP
  2. inthedark

inthedark Peon

Best Answers:
    inthedark, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  3. paulhiles

paulhiles Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi Canton, if you're still looking for an ASP solution to parsing RSS feeds, take a look at the following page. Gathering News Headline feeds using ASP

I've used this myself on a Windows server with IIS 5.0.
    NB: You will need the MSXML component installed on your server, but I think it comes as standard with IIS 5.0 and upwards.

Paul

paulhiles, Apr 15, 2005 IP
    mopacfan likes this.
  4. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a great resource. Thanks for the info.

mopacfan, Apr 15, 2005 IP
  5. Netizen

Netizen Peon

Best Answers:
    I implemented the code library method listed by paulhiles and it works nicely.

The next step it to control how many items are displayed. I don't know asp, but it shouldn't be difficult to adjust this. It looks to me like making a change here might be a start. Any ideas?

<xsl:for-each select="//*[local-name()='item']">
    Code (markup):

Netizen, May 16, 2005 IP
  6. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I ended up writing my own code to parse the rss from syndic8.com. It does the job and now I have to take some time to write the code to catalog the feed so it will create static content on my site.

mopacfan, May 17, 2005 IP