1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Parked domains

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by paradox, Oct 18, 2004.

Could someone please tell me if a "parked" domain (a domain without any index page using the same name servers as the domain to which it points) is essentially the same as a "permenant" redirect?

Why I'm asking is because I have read that Google only likes "permenant" or "301" redirects and may interpret a temporary or other type as a redirect as some sort of spam or doorway page technique and therefore penalize the domains involved.

TIA

paradox, Oct 18, 2004 IP
  2. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    IMO, it depends on where your domain is parked. Not all companies redirect the same way. For instance, I recently read where someone had a domain parked at "GoDaddy" and their URL forwarding was a 302 temporary redirect.

I have a domain parked at "mydomain.com" and when I checked the server response it shows up as "HTTP/1.1 200 OK" vs. "HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently."

ResaleBroker, Oct 22, 2004 IP
  3. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    Are you parking the domain or pointing the domain? This is 2 different things.

Parking a domain is generally the domain is simply parked on a server: generally the registrar or hosting server; with a welcome page that either has the registrars info on it; or it doesn't come up at all. There is no space involved, and doesn't go anywhere.

Pointing a domain means that the domain points to another website: You have my-domain.com and you want to point mydomain.com to it, this can be done in a variety of ways.

If you're using a pointing feature; you should use the 301 redirect. I set up my pointed domains as a separate account; then 301 redirect them to the main account. I've never had a problem.

flawebworks, Oct 23, 2004 IP
  4. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    I have some domains pointing to other domains or so I think. The terminology is confusinng to me. One sourse of pointing/redirection is provided by a company that states the following.

There are two different types of URL Forwarding from which to choose. You can apply either feature to any number of your domains.

Standard Redirection sends your domain visitors to any website you specify. The true address of the destination website - not your domain name - will display in the viewer's browser.

Stealth Redirection sends your domain visitors to any website you specify, just like Standard Redirection, with one difference: your domain continues to display in your visitor's browser when they reach the website and while visiting any page in that website.

It appears that their method of stealth redirection uses a frames page to achieve the redirection.

Do you have any idea what method they use for the standard redirection service and consequences of both types of redirection.

Thank you for any light you can shead on the above.

Shannon

Smyrl, Oct 23, 2004 IP
  5. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    I agree it's confusing; and I can never remember which is which.

For an example of the above. If you go to floridawebworks.com; you'll see that it redirects to http://flawebworks.com. The final result is flawebworks.com in your browser. The floridawebworks is set up as a regular account; and uses a 301 redirect to flawebworks.com. Redirection. Apache/htaccess is involved.

This is pointing. For an example; type in http://thexden.com. In your browser you will see http://thexden.com; but the domain points to http://thexden.org. It is pointing in a normal manner: no htaccess is involved, the domain is only pointed via dns. You run the risk of duplicate content; although I have issues wrapping my brain around that.

Scroll down to the bottom; you'll see a homework test link in bold. When you click it; it will take you to http://thexden.com/homework.php. The user never knows he's actually on http://thexden.org.

Does that help?

flawebworks, Oct 23, 2004 IP
  6. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    This has always confused me concerning duplicate content. I have multiple domain names registered. When new domain names are registered with my ISP they auto point them to my main domain name. I never knew or noticed this until they satrted showing up in SEPPS with the different name but with cached pages of the main website. I went in and changed them so they pointed to nothing because I was worried about getting zapped for duplicate content or for mirror sites. What puzzled me was how the SE's even found the domain names since they had no links or anything pointing to them? Can anyone shed some light on how the SE's found these domain names? Another puzzling thing is that the alternate domain names they picked up had better SERP's then the real site. Probably because the name was keyword based rather then the business name. I'd love to have all my domain names point to one site but I don't want to get banned or anything from the SE's.

lowrider14044, Oct 25, 2004 IP
  7. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    I recently registered two (2) domain names that were abreviated versions of my main site. [Since they are shorter they fit better in the newspaper ads.] Anyway, I just looked and they are in Google's index. I guarantee there are no backlinks. I too wonder how Google found them.

Since I don't plan to use these URL's for anything other than the purpose stated I can't see any reason for me to worry about Google picking these up.

It is my understanding that the worse that can happen is Google will slap a "Duplicate Content" penalty against these newer versions.

Right?

ResaleBroker, Oct 25, 2004 IP
  8. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    I've asked about this in other places but never got any responses. How I initially discovered my other domain names were pointing to the main IP address was they started showing up as links to the main site. My links almost trippled in Yahoo. Of course when I deleted the domain pointer the links eventually droped off. Maybe this is how what appear to be relativly small insignificent sites manage to come up with 10,000 links?

Does anyone know for sure or at least relatively certain what sort of penalty is imposed for duplicate content? Are all sites penilized or just the mirror site? Not that I want to do it...I'm just curious. :)

lowrider14044, Oct 26, 2004 IP
  9. Solicitors Mortgages

Solicitors Mortgages Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can get to my site 6 different ways...they are all pointed by my host to the ONE site.
    The same hosting package seems to be important...if you have an address and want to add a second, then i think you cannot host it seperately.Google recognises all my IPs are the same package and i dont get penalised.
    If you own a .com and the .co.uk you cannot possibly have 2 lots of content ,,,google understands this and does not penalise you for it.The same if you own variations of your url. As long as you only have the 1 load of content,the same IP address,the same hosting package ...no probs
    but dont quote me on this..hehe..there are hosting forums with all the info...somewhere.
    GEM

Although i am interested to find out about sites that have a TEXT version for the blind...they are basically hosting duplicate content on the SAME site :rolleyes:

Solicitors Mortgages, Oct 26, 2004 IP
  10. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    I may be a little dense but it sounds like what your saying is that if you have "companyname.com" at IP address 123.12.12.12 and also have "keyword1.com" and "keyword2.com" also pointing to IP address 123.12.12.12 all coming up with their own url name but with the exact same content that you won't get penilized for duplicate content? That would be great if it really works that way. I'm tempted to point one of the names to the main site but I don't want to get zapped and loose the progress I've made in the serps.

lowrider14044, Oct 26, 2004 IP