1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Palette of success - What brand colours are the best?

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by Growwwolfrum, May 22, 2022.

90 seconds after first seeing something, people make a judgement about it, and up to 90% of the impression made is based on colour alone. What I want to say is, colours are important (but I don't see much discussion about it)

I would say personal and cultural factors determine them for the most part, so you can’t really be lazy by looking at a picture on the internet containing a simplified classification of the function of different colours and using it thinking you now know it all about colour psychology. You have to keep in mind what emotions you want your audience to feel towards your brand’s personality. The colour you choose may correspond to a general characteristic, but it’s more important that it fits your brand’s personality and gives you an unforgettable look. The notion that green, for example, is a colour of calmness and nature may be known by most people, but that hasn’t stopped a company like Monster Energy which is associated with sports and…well…energy, use it. Yet the colour fits perfectly.

What are your experiences with choosing the colour for a brand or observing other logo colours? I want to know if you have noticed any patterns? Do you agree with the importance of colour or is the messaging more important?

Growwwolfrum, May 22, 2022 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    The push to offer a dark mode version of our websites adds extra challenges to the colour palette discussion. I've yet to actually do it and wonder how many small sites/companies will bother.

sarahk, May 22, 2022 IP
  3. cashbox.money

cashbox.money Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    What about colors, why pink is so unpopular? Such a beautiful color.

cashbox.money, May 25, 2022 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Because 50% of the population think that anything feminine is "less"

sarahk, May 25, 2022 IP
  5. cashbox.money

cashbox.money Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Oh. Hope people will understand soon that it's weird. Wanna see pink among brands and logos

cashbox.money, May 25, 2022 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  6. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Oh. My. Word. What world are you guys living in? It boils down to this: Beauty vs practicality. If someone paints their house pink - it may look beautiful, but is it practical? Maybe to some, not to me. Can you picture your country's military in pink uniforms? Me neither. If I stopped by, let's say, a website that sells auto parts the LAST thing I'd expect was for it to have pink color palette. And so forth. Has NOTHING to do with the pink color being "less". Just not practical.

BTW, I blame Hollywood for distorting femininity.

qwikad.com, May 25, 2022 IP
  7. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I'd love to see your Russian army in pink.

Spoiltdiva, May 25, 2022 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    The same one where boys are taught not to be a sissy or a "girl", not to be do anything feminine, where "you run like a girl" is an insult.

But why is it impractical? why is it the last thing you'd expect to see? It's a website, it's not going to get dirty.
    Hollywood is responsible for the Chinese binding feet? the Victorian concept of a woman being "ruined"?

sarahk, May 25, 2022 IP
  9. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    Can't help you there. In theory I get it, but I have not been around people like that forever now. I'd be embarrassed to be around someone who tells that to his/her son or another boy. By the way, my step daughter when she was still in school, could outrun, outplay most girls and boys in pretty much any sport (she played a few: volleyball, basketball, soccer). The coaches begged her to play on their teams.

@sarahk would you be happy or sad if you happened to overhear some mom / dad at my step daughter's school back then telling their son: "Why can't you be as strong and tenacious as his step daughter?"

Since your female chauvinistic vibes are constantly on display for everyone to see, I think you'd be happy.

Before you get all self-righteous about pink color being practical, why don't you paint every cabin your business rents out pink or throw out all your household items and buy new, pink ones (cups, pots, bed sheets, pillow cases, chairs, rugs, paintings, etc.) if pink is it. You won't.

I don't know what that means. Sounds disturbing. But what really puzzles me is that you used this as an example. What is that supposed to mean?

qwikad.com, May 26, 2022 IP
  10. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    Please, refrain from commenting on things you're clueless about. It's more befitting for you to talk about kittens and tin foil hats. You need both.

qwikad.com, May 26, 2022 IP
  11. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Ty takoy ostroumnyy tovarishch.:rolleyes: Our Russian friend comrade Qwikad, is from St.Petersburg (Leningrad) in Russia. Been back to the motherland lately?

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    Spoiltdiva, May 26, 2022 IP
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'd be horrified by any parent talking smack to their kid like that - but why would it be any different to compare a son's ability to some random girl... unless you think it's shameful for a boy to be compared to a girl because girls are... less
    I'm merely pointing out why company owners don't choose pink for "masculine" goods and services. It's lovely that you live in utopia. The rest of us don't.

We paint them the same colour as most of the houses that our customers have and our city councils have rules about the colours we can use. Sadly we can't use pink. As for everything else, I would quite happily but the men in my household have been brainwashed by society to think pink is girly and... less.
    You made a claim that Hollywood had "distorted femininity, my point was that cultures have been distorting femininity for millennia, Hollywood is merely the latest tool to do so.

Do you really think Chinese women were so lacking in femininity that they needed their feet bound until they could barely walk?
    Do you really think a young woman who had a broken engagement, or who was found alone in a room with a young man, was really ruined - or was that a societal construct to keep women in their place?

sarahk, May 26, 2022 IP
  13. Growwwolfrum

Growwwolfrum Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    What I don't understand about the color question is...
    what is impractical about pink? It's actually an interesting point but...have we based our usage of colors on their "practicability"
    OR did we assume pink was less practical for example precisely because we assumed it only represents one gender?

Growwwolfrum, May 28, 2022 IP
  14. Growwwolfrum

Growwwolfrum Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I mean why do we have to assume that we would have to buy every object the same color to prove it can be practical? I doubt that's ever true.
    I do hope this decreases by time, because it sure does exist. But it's things like Lyft being a transport service with a pink logo that gives me hope.

Growwwolfrum, May 28, 2022 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  15. lizzieswellness

lizzieswellness Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree!

lizzieswellness, Jun 6, 2022 IP
  16. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I've just taken great joy in picking just the right shade of pink for a menu bar on the site I'm developing!

sarahk, Jun 6, 2022 IP