1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

"Paid Reviews" vs. "Paid Links" - The answer is here!

Discussion in 'Directories' started by bobby9101, Oct 11, 2007.

1. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Nope your right complaining wont...

The answer or solution.... there is none

I have bent over backwards trying to do what they want (or what i think they want)
    and truthfully i have given up trying to please them and will just continue to build my
    directories and making them the best i can for "me" and surfers, submitters hecklers,
    chickens, ducks,dogs .... as im tired of the guessing game thats being played.

Im not trying to fight with G or anyone only trying to adapt but thats hard when
    its just a Riddle with no true answer behind it...

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  2. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    DownUnder, a great post, i agree with those types of things, i know people will say oh its an over active imagination but the reality is google has government backing, they pose as if their against that but companies do things like that all of the time.

It is about enforcing, it is about dominating and the power will go beyond your computers and internet connections, the mistake some are making is theres lots of shouting saying google should clean up and get rid of MFA etc but google says ok but we'll check you out too.

Its already gone too far as people mention google like im doing now, more than anything else, people come on asking if google likes this or that, lol

It will not get better, rest assured on that, im talking about running a business on the internet, you conform or you dont. its very very sad but theres no going back, people gave power to google, people wont turn their backs on something so just do what you can but be prepared for difficulties.

pipes, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  3. wayner

wayner Peon

Best Answers:
    There's a lot of sense being spoken here, we all need to remember why SE's, and indeed Google exist, it's not to help webmasters make money, it's to help searchers find what they are looking for... if we all focus on given the average Joe Searcher what he's looking for, Google and the rest of the SE's will have no problem with what we do...

wayner, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  4. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google exists to make money, period.

jg123, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  5. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    My opinion is the same, say what you do, walk the talk.
    I never said it was wrong to sell links, I said it was wrong to sell links and say that you were only selling reviews.
    Wow, grow some balls, when I very little I saw kids getting picked on by the bullies, and there were two kinds of kids.
    The kind of kid that just gave up and took their pounding and just moved on, trying to live in an unbalanced harmony with the bullies,
    but there were also the kids that fought back, they lost everything, but who was more valor?
    Watch the movie "300", you'll see that surrendering to the bullies of the world just simply isn't an option, "Give Me Liberty Or Give Me Death" - Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775.

bobby9101, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  6. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That is the best approach, you could end up in an early grave trying to do everything correct, its impossible.
    As you say its a guessing game, its hard when you dont have the needed facts to make a change but at the same time your expected to make a change.

pipes, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  7. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thankfully god gave me two balls but they dont have much use during online promotions ;)
    bobby, i know how you feel, its not pleasant feeling like your restricted by a platform that can make regular changes and affect your business but after the anger and frustration you realise that this is a bit more than the playground.

Outside of my working online i do a lot of research into things behind the scenes you might say, if you know how the world operates and what controls it and how each thing is connected you will see that its a lot more complicated.

Your talking about taking on a part of something that is connected to something so much bigger, even if you could challenge google in court they have the money just to pay you to hush up.

I am totally with you on how you feel, its just that things are deeper rooted than you may realise.

pipes, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  8. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    "restricted by a platform that can make regular changes and affect your business but after the anger and frustration you realise that this is a bit more than the playground."
    I have no reason to be angry or frustrated at Google, they haven't cost me a penny or made me lose one submission ;)

I am going to a football game, peace out.

(sorry about the ball comment, just telling you that there is nothing to be scared of from "big G")

9. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You can still make a great living and of course huge numbers of people are hugely successful on the internet, that will always be possible, it just wont be easy, but business never was in the first place.

Im confident that people i chat to here will be massively successful.

pipes, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  10. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Enjoy the football game. :)

No offense taken, i just put myself in other peoples shoes, i understand how people would like things to be, i want the same too.

pipes, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  11. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well...

I think ill take some off bobbys advice...

Im going to get some target practice in the desert
    so that i can get some of my frustrations out...

laterz
    M1

malcolm1, Oct 13, 2007 IP
    mikey1090 likes this.
  12. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Have fun malcolm :)

I dont like sports (apart from motosports) and dont own a gun so the rest of my evening includes making directory submissions while listening to Death Metal. :)

pipes, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  13. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    What type of gun? Try to find a used Dragunov sniper rifle, they are available for sale in some places, if you can find one, you will never experience another gun like it.
    Death Metal? Man You need to start listening to rap, so soothing. ;)

14. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Easy to say but what does this translate into? Most directories owners are busily talking traffic these days but they are still spelling it the old way, namely quality PR rich directories. That mindset has got to change. There is nothing particularly complicated about all of this. Directories are the easiest and most practical source of back links and you are either charging for a review or you are selling a link. If we really want to get into a debate we should be asking ourselves how we are going to lock in the long term value of the service we are offering. This is where it becomes complicated.

Directory owners selling links should be held accountable for what they are doing. If you believe that a quality site is one submitted by someone with the incentive to pay your price, are you charging to review the site or are you charging for a link? These are the sort of questions we need to ask.

workshop, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  15. Turbo-Productions

Turbo-Productions Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea there have been a bunch of people who just crank out websites just to spam the internet. It's a horrible sight... reviewers definitely count in my book, they are the spam filters

Turbo-Productions, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  16. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I grew up listening to Rap, still do sometimes but got into dance genres, Psychedelic trance, some scandanavian, american and british metal, and i like some old stuff like Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin... :)

Edit: Oh and Drum n Bass

pipes, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  17. aditya_sfs

aditya_sfs Peon

Best Answers:
    Again, I see a lot of people crying in this thread saying "Directories are for traffic and advertising and not for Search Engine benefit". Okay that means people who submit to directories do so for traffic and advertising their sites and not for getting search engine benefit right ? The statement is BS because -

1. If I make a new forum and submit it to 100 best paid directories of your choice, how many new members do I get who come directly from the directories ??(forget the search engines)

2. If I make a new e-commerce store and submit it to 100 best paid directories of your choice, how many sales will i make per day from the visitors who come directly from the directories ??(forget the search engines)

3. If I make a new blog and submit it to 100 best paid directories of your choice, how many new loyal readers/subscribers do I get who come directly from the directories ??(forget the search engines)

ummm.... I think thats enough :p :p

I don't want to say whether paid links are really good or bad or google is good or bad, but The real truth which is hard to face is that "Paid directories sell links for search engine benefit". Period ! and you have to accept that fact. The next thing is that you may cry out loudly "Yes I do sell links and I love selling links !", I won't have any objection to that. But selling links and calling them advertising is what I do object.

aditya_sfs, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  18. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    And I care why my submitters submit why? If the site is valuable for a user it will get listed, otherwise it won't, so he would be mislead in submitting just for search engine traffic if he doesn't have a great site.

Also about the point about telling that you are selling links, exactly that is my whole point in creating this thread, people are selling links, so they should say they are.

bobby9101, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  19. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think that is more true of the older type of directories but I think more directories are trying to offer additional features to give me over-all value to their customers beyond just a link.

I should also say that IMO just giving a link is not really wrong, if I site matches a directory owners criteria for listing then why should it not be considered a 'vote' in the search engines. Google indexes all types of crappy sites, at least with a paid link review (or whatever you want to call it) a human is actually looking at the site.

I am also not really sure why the actual words themselves are so important. When you buy a plumbing service the owner does not have to list exactly what you are paying for, as long as you pipes get fixed or unplugged then you are satisfied. Same with a directory review, why should I have to list all the expenses that the fee is going towards? If a submitter has legitimate concerns about having an owner justify their 'review' fee then they should contact them and ask before submitting, if they are then satisfied they should submit and if not they won't. Say a directory owner is dishonest for not putting in all the details of what a fee is being charged for does not really make sense.

jg123, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  20. aditya_sfs

aditya_sfs Peon

Best Answers:
    Paid Links is infact a big and a contradictory issue with varying opinions going on which is not only limited to directory sites. On TLA marketplace , link sales section on DP and many blogs etc. i see people selling links (combining they will be much more than what directories sell).

aditya_sfs, Oct 14, 2007 IP