1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

"Paid Reviews" vs. "Paid Links" - The answer is here!

Discussion in 'Directories' started by bobby9101, Oct 11, 2007.

1. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Its time to close the thread I think, don't you Mike ?

Hope the Mods agree :cool:

britishguy, Oct 12, 2007 IP
  2. lohan

lohan Guest

Best Answers:
    Round and round we go. Why is it not possible to have a meaningful discussion on this forum? I have questions I would like answered but there is no way I am going to put up with the abuse that gets meted out here.

lohan, Oct 12, 2007 IP
  3. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Well I kinda agree with you but also have to disagree with you. I do reviews for several directories, paid and not paid, mine and not mine. I take many hours to review something, but often a site may only contain half a dozen pages so it doesn't take that long to actually review for accuracy and content. I can also include in that looking at any external links which makes my review even more thorough, it simply depends on the size of the site being reviewed.

I suspect you submitted a directory? I'm not going to comment on the over inflated prices of some directories that charge for reviews, that's not my place. What I can say though is that if you did submit a directory for arguments sake, how many pages or links did it contain? Was it packed full of pages of content or was it simply a 'developing' site with very little to review?

In a nutshell I think its a very poor call on your side to tar everyone with the same brush. Look at things logically and you'll usually get a logical answer. :)

The Pheonix, Oct 12, 2007 IP
  4. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Suprising :eek: another thread that went crazy, guys never forget that everything left in these forums can be read by the public, its hugely embarrassing, if any of us ever make really big names for ourselves then people will have a field day with all of what gets posted here.

Think of the future and the embarrassment that could cause, ive traced things way back before, many years from people ive know on forums, irc and other places, it can influence peoples choices to do business with you or not.

Try and bite your tongue, if you feel yourself getting hot and wound up just shut down the browser and log out of the forum for a few hours.
    Offline people wouldn't do this, you know that too, for anyone who wants to talk about ethics, i think you have made your point now.

Do a search on yourself and see the records all over the internet, then ask yourself how that looks to anyone researching you and your company, i can assure you that people do it.

Whats the point in winning a verbal battle on a forum or having the last word?
    All your doing is entertaining others, frustrating yourselves and getting less work done.
    Still theres nothing wrong with disgreeing, strong opinions are healthy and i admire people for having their own opinions, but accept that others cant always agree with you, allow others to disagree but be careful about accusations with each other.
    Make sure that you have your own house in order before pointing the finger at someone elses.

Try to avoid starting a thread because your bored and the forum section is quiet, nothing wrong that there have been less posts, that possibly means that plenty of owners have been doing lots of work and making some alterations.

If you really dont like the directory world then maybe get out now as it may not be for you, if your willing to stick it out then all the best to you.
    Try and understand that no business in the world is easy, it all takes hard work.

Dont be a biggot, open your mind and be fair with anyone who is fair with you.

Peace. ;)

pipes, Oct 12, 2007 IP
    floppydrivez likes this.
  5. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    This guy started off with all the right intentions and its wrong that directory owners who has been picked out by Google for special attention believe that they have licence to ridicule. You have done enough damage to this industry and if you haven't got anything constructive to say bite your tongues and focus on cleaning up the mess you made.

workshop, Oct 12, 2007 IP
    enQuira likes this.
  6. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Considering I don't have a directory, I don't think I am not successful.
    Again, it isn't about the fees themselves.

Who said I'm not happy? Just so you know, I am just as qualified as most DP members, I am taking college business classes and work in a marketing department.

It's a matter of knowing people over 21

Haha very funny

So the truth isn't viable on your birthday?

Nope, I haven't submitted to a directory in over a year. And again, it isn't about them charging too much, I could care less how much Joe Schmoe charges, my problem is what Joe is saying he is charging for.

Peace

bobby9101, Oct 12, 2007 IP
  7. floppydrivez

floppydrivez Peon

Best Answers:
    That is so funny! I swear on my life I almost wrote that same post and decided against it because it doesn't seem to help. All the same, I tossed some rep your way. I think that is the "Answer" we were looking for.

floppydrivez, Oct 12, 2007 IP
    pipes likes this.
  8. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Lately ive been half way through about 20 large posts and end up deleting them before even posting. :) i know its just human nature to retaliate, protecting your corner, just sometimes it can do more damage than good.

Repped you back floppydrivez :)

pipes, Oct 12, 2007 IP
    1 person likes this.
  9. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    boy youve made me proud :D

The same happens to me as i dont feel like getting in a verbal argument sometimes
    and just delete as ive got better things to do with my time ;)

Green sent

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Oct 12, 2007 IP
  10. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I guess it is all in your point of view because those two quotes above prove to me what your real motivation behind this post was. It also makes me question why you are in this forum section at all.

You are quite young and you are right that it does not mean you are not an important member that could make a contribution but typically with age comes knowledge so you have many more years to study, learn and experience.

btw pipes, great post and wise words.

jg123, Oct 12, 2007 IP
    pipes likes this.
  11. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks malcolm1 & jg123. ;)

pipes, Oct 12, 2007 IP
  12. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh boy, I am not quiting, I am just getting back into it. The problems I see in the industry are what fuel me to want to get back into the directory industry.
    So what was my motivation for my post? As far as I am concerned; I see problems, nobody else addresses them, I post them.
    Considering I have been working with computers since I was 10, and have been working at a marketing department for over a year, I wouldn't say that I am less knowledgeable than many here. Sure some of you have been working on the internet way longer than me, but many of you haven't.
    I started my first directory in July 2005, I sold it last year.
    Note that July 2005 was before directorydump, alive, biz-dir, forplex and several other big directories. Aviva was started before my first directory, but certainly wasn't a mammoth by any standards.
    So I have had plenty of experience. What about you, when did you start?

13. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    bobby9101 cool, im wishing you success, hope to see some good stuff from you in the future.

pipes, Oct 12, 2007 IP
  14. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks pipes, best of luck to you too

pipes likes this.
  15. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Ohhh boy..

Now the affiliate sites are getting into the picture ... video i mean

Googles can of Link Worms

This subject is now on fire...

thx
    M1

malcolm1, Oct 12, 2007 IP
  16. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. Whether people around here want to call it 'paid reviews' or 'paid links' for the vast majority of directories, they are indeed one and them same. Like has already been said, if payment were truly for the review, no one would give refunds when they don't provide a link. G's apparent decision to continue having visible PR is a disappointment. Without the green bar, links would return to being referrals and advertising instead of 'juice'.

2. It is everyone's business what other directories do as their poor behavior reflects on the entire industry. There are a group of folks 'who did a lot for the directory industry' and who lined their pockets in the process. When the S**T starting hitting the fan they began leaving these forums 'due to their combative nature'. Oh please give me a break.

I saw their departures as an opportunity for the rest of us to begin rebuilding this forum into a place where useful ideas and information were exchanged without the crap and try to recover from whatever damage they had done to the industry. - Oh well, I can dream can't I?

The penalties inflicted on so many directories would indicate that G is unhappy about something the delisted sites were doing. The dropping of ranking for so many of their site name, but not their entire site would appear to be a human-made change and therefore has to have some other reason than algorithm changes. Since G has opted not to share what they are unhappy about, we are all left to make choices based on what little information we do have.

3. There are a number of things that G, through Matt Cutts, has made clear are things they do not approve of. While I resent with my entire being that G thinks they can tell anyone else how to run their business; we either play the game their way or not - our choice alone.

4. If one pays attention to the few well-mannered discussions around here comparing commonalities between the directories that got penalized there does appear to be a number of common traits among them. Choose to pay attention or not - again your choice.

5. As to the original question as to who charges what - every company is entitled to charge whatever they want for their products and services. If their price is fair, people will buy. If their price too high and people are willing to pay it anyway - good for them.

And finally, haven't you been around here long enough to have seen this or similar conversations many times before? They always end this way with everyone choosing sides and launching into the same old nonsense. There are certain directories that there is little point to say anything but positive raves around here due to their many supporters who would rather launch personal attacks then have an honest discussion - no site is without areas that could be improved.

YMC, Oct 12, 2007 IP
    floppydrivez and LaCabra like this.
  17. floppydrivez

floppydrivez Peon

Best Answers:
    @YMC basically I tend to agree. As far as Google is concerned you are playing on their grounds and it is their right to limit you based on your activities. I extremely agree that the directory industry was hurt by a few chosen few as any industry would be.

It goes back to that same ole saying of a "few bad apples" and with any internet business you must evolve as the internet industry does or get left behind. It has been that way for nearly decades and nothing will change in the future.

floppydrivez, Oct 12, 2007 IP
  18. adnan

adnan Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess it would be fair to say that this point seems valid enough.

adnan, Oct 12, 2007 IP
  19. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    But do they have the right to misrepresent the value of the service they offer? This is where it started going wrong. If someone is selling false PR on the premise that it will bring the advertiser traffic they are never going to see. What do we call that? Aggressive marketing or deliberate misrepresentation for personal gain?

The same thing applies to "Review Fees". Are annual review fees acceptable or window dressing for listing fees? Does a "quality" directory charge once off or are advertisers required to renew their listings periodically?

workshop, Oct 12, 2007 IP
  20. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    YMC I think you are missing most of the picture here.

Owners should be free to do as they please, offering a refund if rejected is just a way of lowering the risk for submissions. If an owner is willing to spend their time doing a review and refunding I don't see how that matters.

That is incorrect, Google cares more about the SERPs then it does the little green bar.

Most of the whiners don't even have directories (or they keep them secret), if any of these folks remotely cared about the industry they would make constructive posts instead of just trying to get a some attention with sensationalized post titles with totally regurgitated BS.

Nobody knows if there was even penalties and I don't know of sites being 'de-listed', do you?

You speak in generalities without backing up any of your statements with facts. Why don't you tell us what all these directories have in common?

and that is exactly what you just did.

jg123, Oct 13, 2007 IP