1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

"Paid Reviews" vs. "Paid Links" - The answer is here!

Discussion in 'Directories' started by bobby9101, Oct 11, 2007.

1. SteveNO

SteveNO Peon

Best Answers:
    bobby, good points you have there.

While you are right in your own way, why does it really matter if they want to charge a review fee? Most will be honest with their link selling practices if it wasn't for Google. So can't you look at it as people working hard and lying to protect themselves and their business? Is that a big deal? MOST BUSINESSES ARE SHADY ;)

SteveNO, Oct 11, 2007 IP
    bobby9101 likes this.
  2. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    advertising is secondary! what if you don't pass the review!:)
    i have already refunded more than i have, on my directory! so it's the review that comes first!!

featured link = quick review = more editors working on it = more review fees = $$$ charged!
    regards,
    Uttoransen!

uttoransen, Oct 11, 2007 IP
    balkanboy likes this.
  3. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess I am a purists of sorts.
    And thank you for bringing up the point that GOogle is the root of all of this lying.
    Has anyone forgotten that as soon as Matt Cutts said the word "paid reviews" it instantly became taboo to say link sales.
    All directory owners were fine with it until he posted that, so what changed?

bobby9101, Oct 11, 2007 IP
  4. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought that featured links were about more exposure as seen previously in this thread.

Also, by refunding 100% of the review fee you are proving that it is for a link not a review.

5. balkanboy

balkanboy Banned

Best Answers:
    ok, I am not going to continue this meaningless words game with you just to entertain you. I have much more important things to do.

Enjoy attention you are getting from this type of treads while it lasts.

P.S. I do not own any part of Forplex.

I am just helping people who work hard in this business instead of just trying to be smart. When you do that, I will be happy to help you, and I am sure others will too.

We are all here to learn from each others and share experiences that save us time and money. Put your business on first place instead of other people's business and everything will be fine.

balkanboy, Oct 11, 2007 IP
    steveb likes this.
  6. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    They why to you constantly and consistantly keep citing what they charge?
    Bottom line is you DO care and you have no right to care and shouldn't.

Who cares what they say it is for? Why even speak numerically?
    If people do not want to submit, then that's that! Just don't submit. Why care about someone else pricing/prices?

Where has chris or jeff ever stated that its 'all for review'? where?

how do you know? you don't!

I would definitely agree that using those as examples was a poor choice, and it seems liek you always do. Why, I guess only you could tell us why.
    But yes, I DO see other directories with absolutely nothing to look forward to and zero potential(imho of course) charging INSANE fees, so I won't argue there.

There is no animosity in my post. You read it how it comes out and how you take it solely depends on you(the reader).
    I'm always upfront and don't frost anything.

By the way do you really have an idea how hard it is to be in the + with a directory?

an0n, Oct 11, 2007 IP
  7. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    I always get you confused with britishguy because of your avatars.

But I do not have any businesses online really, so right now I can put everyone else's business in front :D (I am kidding about that of course)

8. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you think I care how hard it is, does that justify all of this ass kissing to Google.
    If it is so hard to make money, then stop bitching about it, and go find something where you can make money and not have to cry to me about it.
    Of course there isn't a drop of animosity in my post :eek:

9. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This is *your thread* and *you're bitching* about someone else directories prices.

The only person crying and bitching is *YOU*. So get a grip, because the real world can be a real bi*ch, many times over.

an0n, Oct 11, 2007 IP
    DownUnder likes this.
  10. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hello...

If people are willing to pay the fee for review what business
    or concern is it off yours?

I raised my review fees yesterday do you care?

If i charge a business $50,000 for "advice" in seo would that make me a thief?

In the end nobody cares.... only the guy who cant afford the price and complains
    becuase they are his competition.

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Oct 11, 2007 IP
  11. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Nope, not at all. You as the overseer and owner have the right to charge what you want. And it's nobody elses business either!

What boby needs to do is go start his association and get things moving, instead of worrying about everyone else's directory prices.

an0n, Oct 11, 2007 IP
  12. funkymario

funkymario Notable Member

Best Answers:
    some people have far too much time on their hands.

funkymario, Oct 11, 2007 IP
  13. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I just felt compelled to offer some advice to everyone who has been here on the forums over the past month;

Google says to rent this

ok, shower time for me. i enjoyed the pool today, what did you all do?

an0n, Oct 11, 2007 IP
  14. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Its true, the men and women here running directories do have the right to charge what they like, too many butting their noses into rather private things.

Similar to the threads where people ask what your income is from your directory.

People should be left in peace to take care of their daily tasks, in a forum its too easy to get cheeky and personal with people, offline its very rude indeed if you poke your nose into another companies operations.

Pricing and what they call their service is the choice of the admin/company/network.

Nobody is scared of google, naturally directory admins are just doing what they feel they should do, everchanging picture requires everchanging alterations and advancements.

pipes, Oct 11, 2007 IP
  15. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I enjoyed FORD motors rapping me with a $800 dollar AC fix ...

Whats in your Wallet... :eek:

laterz
    malcolm

malcolm1, Oct 11, 2007 IP
  16. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    This isn't about the prices, it's not about what the prices go towards, it's about what you say the prices are for.
    If I am charging $350 for a submission on a directory, and it takes me 45 minutes to an hour to review the site and I decide an hour of my time is worth $75, so fair enough My review is currently at $75, then I decide that $175 more of each submission will go back into promotion. So now my price is at $250, now I say that it takes me 5 minutes to get the link up on the directory.
    So now my price is at $265, I also figure that $35 of each submission will go towards mods, design tweaks, and the like. So now my price is up to $300, I decide that the link SEO and traffic value is worth $25, and I also figure that $25 of each submission will go towards a couple of beers on the weekend.
    So there, I got my $325 submission fee.
    Fair enough, so what I should see is: Our link price is a cumulation of: Review time, traffic, SEO value, xxx, xxx
    I should not see: Our link price is: Review Fee

That's what the whole point of this thread is.

17. funkymario

funkymario Notable Member

Best Answers:
    the point is, whatever a directory owner choose to call his Service: Links for Seo, Review or advertising, you have to understand that this is not really your business.

funkymario, Oct 11, 2007 IP
  18. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    No, your right it isn't my business what others do with their lives.
    But Google sure thought it was their business, and while all of those directories were getting penalized, all I could do was just sit back and laugh at every one of them.
    Sure, I can't offer you an easy way out of the penalization, but do you think Google knows that directories are just charging for a review?
    But hey, I guess it's taboo to offer warning to those that are so dumbfounded and blinded by Google's actions that they don't see one of the probable why it even happened.

19. adnan

adnan Peon

Best Answers:

Agreed.

It's all about popularity and promotion. IMO sites listed would like to see some targetted traffic sent to them one way or the other which converts or is effective.

And there's alot of factors involved in getting traffic to a site, starting with domain name selection, design, topic, management & promotion.

Now if you were to place an ad in the Help Wanted section or Automotive Section of the Washington Post, where they got all the buicks, nissan's and honda's sorted out by year, make & model, I guess that's similar to listing a site in a directory.

But the name acquired for placing a site into a directory is IMO called a 'listing' and that's why the formal name for them is

directory listings

And I think that is what everybody follows, including me.

adnan, Oct 11, 2007 IP
  20. mrcrowley

mrcrowley Peon

Best Answers:
    Theres 2 main points of view of this.

1. As a submitter you definately would see it as a paid link. You don't want to get your link rejected what you are paying for is the expectation of having your link published. Yes you hope its going to a good cause. You hope you will get some traffic passed back to you or some nice link juice. Your paying for the value of the link, no way to escape it.

2. From a directory owner/editor point of view its so much more than just a paid link. Its because of the time, effort.. site design, articles, blogs etc. Not to mention all the promotion you put in yourself. This is why the submitter is there in the first place.

The problem is Big G takes the side of the submitter.

mrcrowley, Oct 11, 2007 IP