1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Pages in URL?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by rhinoplayer, Jul 25, 2004.

Could someone clarify.... I could probably figure this out on my site by waiting for Google and playing around...but I have no patience...

If I have page; www.ryanscreenprinting.com/LaserCutting.htm

I have 1 page in my URL.

If I set up a folder (I use FrontPage) named LaserCutting and the folder contains 8 pages then will I have 9 pages in my URL for LaserCutting???? Or is there something else I need to do. Right now I don't have the folders named the same so my pages in URL aren't deep and I think this might hurt my rankings.

TXS! :confused:

rhinoplayer, Jul 25, 2004 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    For a small site I like everything in my root directory. It seems to get crawled quicker. However if you anticipate an area growing to the point you need folders I would go ahead and set it up that way from the first. Adding folders later will necessitate redirects to assure continuity in indexing. I hate to just get things indexed to my linking and then make changes. Do your homework on keywords etc first and plan the site so it will grow with you over the years.

Smyrl, Jul 25, 2004 IP
  3. rhinoplayer

rhinoplayer Peon

Best Answers:
    Smyrl - -First, I don't anticipate any major growth (probably 100 pages max ever) Second, I have two main keyword targets. The first is 'membrane switch' and the second is 'laser cutting' (and obviously different variations of those). The two keywords aren't necessarily related to each other so I thought (and this is what gets me in trouble!) that if I set up the LaserCutting.htm page in my root directory and then subpages in a folder named LaserCutting and also set up backlinks to that topic/folder that it would become a site within my site so to speak and do better than it would just having all the backlinks go to my index page?!? - - does that make any sense to do or should I just focus on the index page ranking and let the rest fall out as it will?

TXS

rhinoplayer, Jul 25, 2004 IP
  4. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Conceptually I like you organizatioinal plan but initially I would want all links pointing to homepage to try to get new site as well indexed as possible. Essentially developing two sub-webs would result in dividing links to your site.

I would love to hear what others recommend in regards to your plan..

Best of luck,
    Shannon

Smyrl, Jul 26, 2004 IP
  5. rhinoplayer

rhinoplayer Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd like to hear too....??? Anyone think this is a good idea?

rhinoplayer, Jul 27, 2004 IP
  6. medhahari

medhahari Peon

Best Answers:
    If you look at medhahari.com or medha.info, Google says that there is only 1 page there (because of the frame). But the page rank is 5 ! :)

Is it possible to modify the page (frameset) so that Google will see all the other pages as belonging to the same url too?

medhahari, Aug 15, 2004 IP
  7. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    Folks, PR is strictly and entirely a quality of one particular page. Period, the end.

Every page in a site has its own PR. Mind, it is not meaningless to speak of the "PR of a site"--there, one means the cumulative PR of all the pages. But that term is meaningful only to the webmaster shrewd enough to arrange internal (intrasite) linkage so as to distribute the cumulative PR as she or he wants. Some sites want all possible PR value to the front page, at the expense of all other pages; some (often the better ones) want the front page and certain important other pages to share PR as best as possible.

You need to do several things: first, determine what PR distribution makes sense for your site--are there important secondary pages, each perhaps a "gateway" to yet more pages? Or is just getting your front page maxed up the goal? Second, study up on what PR actually is and how it is determined, so you can make your internal links serve your purpose. Third, get a "link hider" so you can provide intra-site links that are user-friendly but don't detract from your PR-allocation scheme.

Owlcroft, Aug 16, 2004 IP