1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Pagerank updated in Google Directory

Discussion in 'Directories' started by spdude, Jun 10, 2005.

My site is now showing a PR7... Anybody else see any changes in their categories?

spdude, Jun 10, 2005 IP
  2. Juls

Juls Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ;-) I think I got a pr 6 for my main site.

Juls, Jun 10, 2005 IP
  3. bentong

bentong Banned

Best Answers:
    nothing changes here...still the same..

bentong, Jun 10, 2005 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    One of my sites has been showing PR6 in the Google Directory for over a month. However, it's still PR4 for Toolbar PR (version 3) and PR5 for queries to the datacenters.

I have no idea what the PR values in the Google Directory mean any more. They just seem a little wacky.

minstrel, Jun 10, 2005 IP
  5. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Google Directory PR in unreliable - at least for me.

I have site that has been showing a PR6 and above another site I have in the same category for almost a year. I know the site isn't a PR6, but the odd thing is that there is no way it should rank above the other site I have - not in backlinks, PR - anything.

mjewel, Jun 11, 2005 IP
  6. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    Google diectory doesn't show PR1-10. It uses a differnet scale. According to GoogleGuy it is a 8 unit scale. You have to look at the source to see what you have as the green bar is made up out of a pos.gif and a neg.gif.

These 8 positions are cleardot.gif, 5/35, 11/29, 16/24, 22/18, 27/13, 32/18, and 38/2 (pos.gif/neg.gif).

The idea of measuring the width of the GDPR bar and comparing it to the TBPR bar doesn't work.

Here is a short article with examples.
    www.seocompany.ca/pagerank/google-directory-page-rank-scale.html

I keep a pretty close eye on my listing in Google dir and I having seen a change there.
    dir.google.com/Top/Computers/Internet/Web_Design_and_Development/Promotion/Search_Engine_Optimization_Firms/S

Any one else see a change for sure?

bobmutch, Jun 11, 2005 IP
  7. web-rover

web-rover Peon

Best Answers:
    my site is still not even showing

web-rover, Jun 11, 2005 IP
  8. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    web-rover: Is it in DMOZ?

9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Oh for the love of...

Yeah yeah yeah... we all know that crap, bob. Give it a rest.

The fact is that whatever you call it there is a discrepancy between the Directory PR (which in the case I mentioned shows it to be in the lower end of the top half of the bar) and the datacenters (which show it to be in the middle) and the toolbar (which shows it just below the middle).

Moreover, this isn't a new situation, at least not for the Directory PR which has been like that since before the last update.

minstrel, Jun 11, 2005 IP
  10. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    minstrel: You may know all that advanced info and it may be old to you but remember there are lots that don't. Beside this was another change to self-promote and dropping some more links to my site : )

11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Yeah, obviously... but it still doesn't address the question at hand, does it?

12. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    minstrel: "...but it still doesn't address the question at hand, does it?"

Yes in fact it answers in part this issue you raised here.
    "One of my sites has been showing PR6 in the Google Directory for over a month. However, it's still PR4 for Toolbar PR (version 3) and PR5 for queries to the datacenters."

First it notes that there is no such thing as a PR6 in the Google Directory. Second it deals with the issue of the PR bar in the Google Directory and on the Toolbar being different. So while it was self-promotional and link dropping, it also addresses two issues your brought up.

13. spdude

spdude Guest

Best Answers:
    The directory toolbar seems the most accurate from all three IMO. It updates about every month. My site has 2.3M backlinks now in yahoo. Been waiting ages to move up from a PR6 to a PR7.

Seeing the green move from PR6 to PR7 is something I was waiting for.

I bet yours is also a PR6... and it's just a matter of time before the toolbar catches up and begins showing PR6 also.

spdude, Jun 11, 2005 IP
  14. honey

honey Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I hope what you say does happen :)
    I will have 3 PR7 websites and half a dozen or more PR6 and atleast a dozen and a half PR5's :)
    hhaha

honey, Jun 11, 2005 IP
  15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    You may think so, Bob. I don't. I think your reply is just so much bafflegab.

It's not just discrepant with the toolbar, spdude... it's also discrepant with ALL the datacenter PR values using tools like McDar's.

Hence, the question: What exactly does the PR value in the Google Directory MEAN?

16. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    spdude: "The directory toolbar seems the most accurate from all three IMO. It updates about every month."
    I would agree it is the most accurate as in it is being updated more often this year than before and also more often that the TBPR.

GDPR Updates:
    June 11th (18 days)
    May 24/05 (32 days)
    May 03/05 (28 days)
    Feb 04/05 (24 days)
    Jan 10/05 (88 days)
    Oct 17/04 (67 days)
    Aug 10/04 (158 days)

But where it is a differnet scale than TBPR and most people are used to ranking pages by the TBPR I feel like it is less meanful.

For the last 5 years history of TBPR, BL and GDPR updates see my PageRank Update History List:
    www.seocompany.ca/pagerank/page-rank-update-list.html

Minstrel: "I think your reply is just so much bafflegab."
    My original post was factual. I deal in facts. That is why my posts are hard to argue against. When people that deal in bafflegab find themselves confronted with factual posts they resort to making personal attacks as that is the best they can do. Can't argue against the facts so attack the person that posted them.
    You will notice that I don't resort to that kind of behavour as fact-posters don't need to attack or belittle the posters that appose facts. They only need to post more facts.
    When a fact-poster finds out their position is not factual they just change their position. Fact-posting is so much easier way to do things because if when a fact-poster finds they are wrong they just change.

Now what wasn't factual in my orginal post : )

17. Canadianbacon

Canadianbacon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    are you aware of the "quote" function on the board? lol j/k

Canadianbacon, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  18. minstrel

Best Answers:
    That's exactly what you don't get, Bob. Your posts (and your web pages) contain endless lists of meaningless "facts" and statistics that don't help to clarify or elucidate anything at all.

Yes, your posts are "hard to argue against" because there's nothing there to argue against. What's to argue against in a list of all the dates since 1742 that Google updated its Toolbar PR? Nothing. How does it help anything whatsoever? It doesn't.

Yes. They just post more facts, which don't help anybody any more than the facts previously posted. It's just an endless stream of uninteresting, unhelpful trivia.

I can feel another bobmutch "Google update prediction" approaching here. :eek:

minstrel, Jun 12, 2005 IP
    Shoemoney likes this.
  19. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    minstrel: "Yes. They just post more facts, which don't help anybody any more than the facts previously posted. It's just an endless stream of uninteresting, unhelpful trivia."
    Not every one is an educated and has been around as long as you have. So there are people which understand less than you (that was you at one time too) that benifit from my posts. If you havn't noticed there are a comments I get from time to time where people note that the posts have helped them.

You have been around much longer in the SEO end of things than I have so you are going to know many things that I am still learning. So I can understand your feeling that I don't offer you much but just try to keep in mind that not every one is as knowledgeable as you.

"It's just an endless stream of uninteresting, unhelpful trivia."
    Not to everyone. Try to keep in mind that not everyone is as knowledgeable as you are.

"I can feel another bobmutch "Google update prediction" approaching here."
    There is some thing uncanny about you being able to read my mind : )
    I am predicting, based on data, that we will have an early TBPR update. It will not go the full 90 days. That means a update before Aug 1st : )

Canadainbacon: "are you aware of the "quote" function on the board? lol j/k"
    Yes but I don't like it. As I do some much quoting it make a post so much longer. I quite using the BB quote function quite a while ago. Thank for noting it though.

bobmutch, Jun 12, 2005 IP