1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Pagerank of 7 for $10?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by loress, Nov 20, 2005.

I'm a little confused. I've found a site for sale ($10) with a page rank of 7. It's not even that good a name, (multi words). I visited the domain it has a page rank of 7, but has no links at google or yahoo? It was registered in 2004. I checked at whois.sc and it's blacklist status is clear. My concern is that I'm going to buy it and redirect traffic to my current site (with a rank of 4, but by all indications about to go to a 5) and this will either help or completely plumett my rankings.... :confused: I can't think of any other places to check - I even checked web.archive.org to see if I could get any information about the domain, but it also has nothing on the site.

I guess my question is this, if this site has had their page rank "created in an erroneous way" is it going to help or hinder my current "good" site in terms of bumping my ranking.

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

loress, Nov 20, 2005 IP
  2. murugan

murugan Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes. You are right, the PR7 you are seeing was due to some unethical technique.

Did u seen the google cache ?

It may give you an idea .

murugan, Nov 20, 2005 IP
  3. toni

toni Active Member

Best Answers:
    toni, Nov 20, 2005 IP
  4. Elee

Elee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why would anyone sell a site for $10, regardless of the page rank? It cost you that much or more to buy a NEW domain.

What do they say... If it sounds too good to be true.....

Elee, Nov 20, 2005 IP
  5. Momo

Momo Peon

Best Answers:
    Momo, Nov 20, 2005 IP
  6. apblake

apblake Peon

Best Answers:
    It is just plain impossible for the site to have a PR7 without links.

apblake, Nov 20, 2005 IP
  7. Dejavu

Dejavu Peon

Best Answers:
    And to answer the other question:
    No, it is simply going to have zero effect. To obtain the fake page rank, it redirects the google bot to a different PR7 site.. This means that google will never even see your links, it is as if the site doesnt exist in Google's eyes

Dejavu, Nov 20, 2005 IP
  8. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I still don't understand two things:
    - If a guy has PR7, no matter how he get, why he wouldn't sell for much more?
    - How the He** did he do it..???

Anyone who explains, I'd very grateful to him :)

DomainMagnate, Nov 20, 2005 IP
  9. daniah

daniah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, i guess it's an expired domain which earlier had a pagerank.Wait for the next google update to see the actual PR of the site .

daniah, Nov 20, 2005 IP
  10. webbom

webbom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It could also be that the pr is real, it can be that the site has just 1 link from a pr8 or 7 site that is giving it the pr.

I made an experiment with one website were I pointed only 1 link from a pr5 site. Just 1 link from the homepage, no sitewide. On the last google update the new website was a pr5 and is still no showing any backlinks at google. Kind of weird ah :D But if you check on msn you will see that it indeed have this backlink.

I think the best place to check for backlinks is msn. They show more backlinks for the site and show them in importance order.

webbom, Nov 20, 2005 IP
  11. loress

loress Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Guys

Thanks for the feedback

murugan : no google cache (which is why I thought it might have been blacklisted)

toni: yes, I have read a similar article, this is what I was thinking too

elee: it is an expired domain up for auction

momo: thanks for that link (I've not seen that before) and what'd ya know a little hidden redirect to another site with a page rank of 7 (which also looks sus) But now I'm saddened... so close. That's it though isn't it - there is absolutely NO point in purchasing a site with a fraudulent page ranking is there??..

apblake: well, yep there is a way to faux your links... but to what end, other than having visitors visit you and see your big green bar... (that doesn't sound right!) I think there needs to be some better, clearer indications of site quality. Alexa, I think does a better job, but again it is too weighted, being that you need their toolbar installed to register your paths

dejavu: arh... there in is the answer... thank you, you and momo seem to have covered it

michael goldman: pr7 is easily obtained, the article that toni mentions explains it pretty well, and then visiting the link that momo provided will further clarify it... this is where googles green bar is failing - if you can beat the system then the system is fundamentally wrong

daniah: yep:... expired domain

webbom: this is what I was thinking (and hoping) and this morning I even did a rustybrick google prediction on the domain rustybrick.com/pagerank-prediction.php and they told me it would be a 10 at the next review - that's super, wow you mean I can have a site with the same level of prestige and notoriety as yahoo!... that's great... so alas I will put my $10 back in my pocket and perhaps spend it on something more valuable like chocolate or google shares!

So thanks again guys, i really appreciate this... if anyone is interested I can list the domain name?... seeing as I'm not going to buy it - that's not spamming is it?... let me know and I'll post it back here - it's a great example of how/why/and why not to place that much value on the green bar.

loress, Nov 20, 2005 IP
  12. Dejavu

Dejavu Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, that was one detailed response :)
    Feel free to post the url, unlike some other forums this one don't consider it evil to post links if they are relevent to discussion. (and thats part of the reason I like it here)

Dejavu, Nov 20, 2005 IP
  13. loress

loress Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Dejavu (love Mojo!.. had to find my bubbles avatar!)

So here it is: psychic-spiritual-reader.com as I said it's a 7 ranking without the www's and a zero with them. Great exercise to have gone through all of this though.

Thanks again.

loress, Nov 20, 2005 IP
  14. Dejavu

Dejavu Peon

Best Answers:
    Dejavu, Nov 20, 2005 IP
  15. loress

loress Peon

Best Answers:
    arhh... I didn't think to run it through that way...

loress, Nov 20, 2005 IP