1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Page Retention

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by nfzgrld, Sep 13, 2005.

I'm currently building the first G sitemap for my site. There are several thousand pages on my site, all dynamically generated. The sitemap software I'm using is currently up to about 4300 pages mapped. My indexed pages in G usually stands at around 700-800. I'm wondering a couple of things about once the sitemap is online. First, will G pick up all those other pages, and second, will it retain them once it does?
    SEMrush

nfzgrld, Sep 13, 2005 IP
    SEMrush
  2. tonysafescaffolding

tonysafescaffolding Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know. it would be a good experiment. I presume you have google webmaster tools set up. if not then do this. I would then add the site map and see what happens. Post your finding it would be good to know

tonysafescaffolding, May 29, 2012 IP
  3. websitetools

websitetools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do notice though that the number Google Webmaster tells you are indexed is really the number of URLs in the submitted XML sitemap verified to exist in the Google search index.
    (At least in the past you could reset the count by deleting/adding XML sitemaps, but your URLs would still be indexed in Google even if Google Webmaster Tools claimed it was 0)

Anyhow, if I were you, I would be sure to submit an XML sitemap. It won't remove your existing pages from the search index, only help getting more indexed.
    (One exception could potentially be if you have lots of duplicate content, but that would be an extreme corner case.)

websitetools, May 31, 2012 IP