1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

page rank question

Discussion in 'Keyword Tracker' started by utball, Jun 28, 2006.

How does the page rank thing work? Say one site's rank is 5 and another's is 8 . Which is better ? 5 or 8?

utball, Jun 28, 2006 IP
  2. sizzler_chetan

sizzler_chetan Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Obviously the PR8 one.

It is something like the marks u obtain for 10 - which would be better- 5 or 8 ?

sizzler_chetan, Jun 28, 2006 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Are you talking about a rank position for a keyword or PageRank?

digitalpoint, Jun 28, 2006 IP
  4. d16man

d16man Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Page rank in a nutshell kind of works like this...the higher the number, the better the page. If your page is PR4, and your competitors is PR5, then they have a better page. You can raise your PR4 by getting links from higher ranked sites. Google then sees this as a positive thing for you, and your PR goes up. Thats the way I understand it, hope that helps.

d16man, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  5. Paul_F

Paul_F Guest

Best Answers:
    From what I remember the pagerank scale is logarithmic. Therefore a PR5 is 10 times better than a PR4 which is 10 times better than a PR3. Or did I just dream it?:confused:

Paul_F, Jun 30, 2006 IP
  6. BlueDevilMedia

BlueDevilMedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's more exponential than "10 times better". For example, PR5 is 2^10 better than a PR4. Not positive on that though.

IMO, PageRank is almost pointless right now...almost as useful as Alexa's traffic rankings.

BlueDevilMedia, Jun 30, 2006 IP
  7. bugon

bugon Guest

Best Answers:
    Namely, each PR point is N times better than the lower rank (N times as many links to it, etc). N is probably around 8 or so.

e.g., http://www.sciencebits.com/OnGooglePR

(Logarithmic can be in different scales, not necessarily factor 10. With PageRank, the base is smaller)

bugon, Jul 1, 2006 IP
  8. hashini

hashini Peon

Best Answers:
    for google from 1 to 10 bigger number is better and for alexa smaller number

hashini, Jul 1, 2006 IP
  9. seoindia

seoindia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    well this question shows that you a beginner.....more PR more value ... read some beginner's guide it will help you a lot....

seoindia, Jul 1, 2006 IP
  10. Mr.Rock

Mr.Rock Peon

Best Answers:
    PR8 is better

Mr.Rock, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  11. asterix

asterix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    pr8 is better .. lol its so hard to achieve.

asterix, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  12. Mara

Mara Peon

Best Answers:
    Everybody accepts that pagerank is about links. But I have two blogs which I started posting only 2-3 months ago. And I have 0 links for both of them. They are very new, they have absolutely no links. The only thing I have, I guess is content, some of them valuable some not. One of them I update quite frequently, the other I don't. I wasn't even looking at the pagerank toolbar. Then one day, almost a month ago I noticed that it's PR was 2, I went to check my other blog, the same way. I thought they had made a mistake and would correct it anyday. But they are still there! And since I don't know how I got them, I don't know what to do to my other blogs. Does anyone have an idea what it could be?

Plus, in both of these blogs I'm ranking in the first or second page in Google for almost every word I've used unintentionally in my posts. They are in Turkish not in English but still some of these keywords have millions of search results. I really would like to know what I've done so that I can repeat it elsewhere.:confused:

Mara, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  13. andriusk

andriusk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are you sure you do not have any links? How your page was crawled by Google then?

andriusk, Jul 14, 2006 IP
  14. crazyryan

crazyryan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PR8 is not better, PR10 is better :)
    haha.

crazyryan, Jul 14, 2006 IP
  15. xeno

xeno Peon

Best Answers:
    xeno, Jul 14, 2006 IP
  16. Mara

Mara Peon

Best Answers:
    I submitted them to Google that's all I did. Now whatever new blog I create I give links from these to the new ones. One of those PR2 blogs I mentioned, has become PR3 yesterday! Almost 10 days ago, I opened a blog in blogger on hair transplantation issues again in Turkish. I submitted it to Google right away. Still nothing has happened. No indexing, no search engine results, no visitors. 2 days ago I made another blog on the same subject again: hair transplantation. But I didn't open the blog from blogger but from a Turkish blog service, which my PR2 blogs also belong. This time, I didn't submit it to Google, just to see what happens. I only gave links from these 2 higher ranking older blogs. In only 1 day, its been indexed by Google and again began showing very high in search results already. It's all very puzzling for me.

Mara, Jul 15, 2006 IP