1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Page Importance v. Incoming Links v. Other Variables

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by schlottke, Apr 10, 2004.

Ok, Something I'd like to ask the forum:

Now, I know that page rank plays a role in the validity of the link, but how much?

Google currently indexes jrwrestling.com with over 1,000 pages, even though I only have 300 product pages and a couple dozen content pages.

The reason: it indexes all the review pages, sorting among catagories, etc.
    Do these pages (since they do have equal PR to their counterpart 'real' catagories) count a great deal when back links are involved?

schlottke, Apr 10, 2004 IP
  2. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    What do you mean by "validity" of a link? If you mean relevance then you are wrong PR does have anything to do with the relevance of a link. PR is a mathematical sharing of the PR of all the interconnected pages. PR is a number and nothing more and nothing less.

They share their PR value like any other page. Google doesn't make any distinction between the type of pages. If a page has a PR5 it will pass as much PR as any other PR5 page on the Internet.

What I don't understand is what site are these review pages on if they are not part of your site? And what is a "real category"?

compar, Apr 10, 2004 IP
  3. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    I tend to write quickly and not reread what I say a lot, sorry for the confusion.

"what is a "real category"

Well, I would consider any number of the direct links from the main page "wrestling shoes" wrestling headgear" etc, real catagories. I am just suprised that when google indexes the page, it actually 'clicks' the sort features and spiders those as well.

"Now, I know that page rank plays a role in the validity of the link, but how much?"

The PR of the sorted pages (for example, sorting by price rather than name doesnt happen much) is what I was asking about... Whether these pages PR3/PR4 counts as much as other sites, I was asking if this PR4 sorted page counted as highly to a search engine as a link from a PR4 Index..

schlottke, Apr 12, 2004 IP
  4. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm still having some problem understanding your questio. I'm not sure what a 'sorted' page is.

But the answer is the same as my first post. A PR# is a PR# and passes as much PR as any other page, front, back, up down, sorted, real category, price, name whatever.

Most people think the PR passing formala is (85% of the PR) divided by the number of outbound links from the page. It does not matter where the page is or what kind of page it is. Two PR5 page with 10 outbound links will both pass (.85*5)/10 = .425 PageRank value to every page they link to.

The explanation for index pages generally having high PR than internal pages is, in part, because every internal page will have a link back to the 'home' page, but the 'home' page does not usually have a link to every internal page. So there is more PR passed back than passed down.

compar, Apr 12, 2004 IP
  5. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    schlottke, Apr 12, 2004 IP
  6. gusher

gusher Banned

Best Answers:
    great read, thanks

gusher, Jul 31, 2008 IP