1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Oysters and Sex

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by oregonthunder2, Sep 23, 2008.

I did this study about a year ago or so. I have worked in food science in the past. It was originally part of blog on my myspace page and thought I would share it here.

Its a little bit of a read, but in case anybody else was curious if oysters are really an aphrodisiac, I have broken down the internal compounds to give find any smoking guns.

OYSTERS AND SEX by Edwin Waters

This study will emphasis any affects that oysters have on Cells or celluar production and function, on blood flow and blood pressure,the nervous system and its affects on any reproductive organs. In most men, it increases semen and ejaculate. In others it gives endurance, or harder erections. In woman it increases sensitivity.

NUTRITIONAL FACTS FOR 1 OYSTER 8g

Amounts Per Serving %DV:

Calcium 3.6 mg 0%
    Iron 0.5 mg 3%
    Magnesium 4.3 mg 1%
    Phosphorus 11.1 mg 1%
    Potassium 18.3 mg 1%
    Sodium 9.0 mg 0%
    Zinc 7.3 mg 48%
    Copper 0.4 mg 18%
    Manganese 0.0 mg 2%
    Selenium 2.9 mcg 4%
    Vitamin B12 1.5 mcg 26%
    Vitamin C 0.4 mg 1%
    Retinol 7.2 mcg
    Vitamin A 24.0 IU 0%

Total Omega-3 fatty acids 42.1 mg
    Total Omega-6 fatty acids 3.9 mg
    These acids include Taurine, Eicosapentaenoic Acid and Docosahexaenoci acid

Protein 0.6 g 1%
    Tryptophan 6.3 mg
    Threonine 24.3 mg
    Isoleucine 24.6 mg
    Leucine 39.8 mg
    Lysine 42.2 mg
    Methionine 12.7 mg
    Cystine 7.4 mg
    Phenylalanine 20.2 mg
    Tyrosine 18.1 mg
    Valine 24.6 mg
    Arginine 41.2 mg
    Histidine 10.9 mg
    Alanine 34.2 mg
    Aspartic acid 54.5 mg
    Glutamic acid 76.9 mg
    Glycine 35.4 mg
    Proline 23.0 mg
    Serine 25.3 mg

Taurine:
    Taurine, or 2-aminoethanesulfonic acid, is an organic acid that is a major constituent of bile. Taurine is one the oyster's key nutrients. It also occurs freely in the human body, particularly in the heart muscle, nerve tissues and the brain. Taurine is effective for cholesterol reduction, anaemia prevention, liver counter poison, diabetes prevention and sight recovery. Present in Semen, may reduce weight and lowers blood pressure to healthy levels.Taurine is a derivative of the sulfur-containing (sulfhydryl) amino acid, cysteine. Taurine is the only known naturally occurring sulfonic acid.

Eicosapentaenoic Acid:
    Is a Omega 3 Fatty Acid found in oily fish (Fish Oil) and in human breast milk. It lowers cholesterol in blood and prevents arteries sclerosis, high
    blood pressure, and cerebral haemorrhage.

DHA (docosa hexaenoci acid):
    It improves study function, reduction of cholesterol in blood, anti cancer action, effect of senility prevention (but very often, people think that oyster contains so much cholesterol that they avoid eating oyster. It is because cholesterol cause to fall ill like high stop of bleeding, high blood pressure, arteries sclerosis and diabetes. But that is the wrong idea. Of course, oyster contains high cholesterol content food but it has more good cholesterol (HD-L type) than the bad one (LDL, VLDL type) and contains much zinc and Selenium, precious mineral which is recently in the spotlight. For these reasons, oyster can be said wonderful nutrition food to prevent cancer as well as adult disease.

SELENIUM:
    Micronutrient. Can be toxic in high doses, In the USA, the recommended dietary allowance for adults is 55 micrograms per day. Thought to be a anti-cancer agent. Helps in producing Thyroid Hormones and most notably it is neccesary for cellular function in all animals including humans.

How much Selenium does one oyster contain? 2.9 mcg ...far less than the allowance You would have to eat 200 Oysters for it be toxic.

Glycogen (a type of suger):
    Glycogen is a polysaccharide of glucose (Glc) which functions as the primary short term energy storage in animal cells.It is made primarily by the liver and the muscles, but can also be made by the brain, uterus, and the vagina. Sugar of oyster consists mostly of Glycogen, Glycogen is energy source and quick to adsorb digestion and so it is good for patients, old men and children who is weak in digestive power on account of nutrition food after disease. Glycogen gives energy in the form of endurance. It is essential for long distance runners and cross country skiers who will run out of glycogen around the twenty mile mark and come to a dead stop and become fatigued; since the human body has a max on how much glycogen it can hold. However, it can be delayed by a carbohydrate loading before the task.

Inorganic Matter:
    Oyster is food which contains relatively rich inorganic matter.
    Zinc: It activates sexual hormone, promotes to secret insulin, prevents alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver and sclerosis of the arteries and improves studying ability.
    Calcium: It promotes the growth of children who are at the time of growth and prevents women's osteoporosis and eye protection.
    Besides, it contains a variety of small oxygen's such as Iron, Copper, Manganese, Phosphorus, Natrium and Kalium

Zinc:
    Oysters are very high in Zinc. Zinc is nessary for life to exist. Cells in the salivary gland, prostate, immune system and intestine are other types that secrete zinc. Significant dietary intake of zinc has also recently been shown to impede the onset of flu. Eyesight, taste, smell and memory are also connected with zinc. Zinc is needed for brain development. It is widely recognised that the lack of zinc can contribute to acne. Zinc is also toxic when consumed at high levels. Most Americans have an adecate amount of zinc in their diets already.

How much zinc does one Oyster contain? Alot

Iodine:
    Iodine is created by digestive process when the oyster is eaten. Iodine is essential to the body, however American salts are usually iodized and because of American diets, iodine is not needed. Poorer countries however, have a great need for iodine.Necessary for proper production of thyroid hormones.

Vitamins:
    Vitamin A: keeps eyesight and auditory sense worked on and, promotes the growth and, keeps control of normal skin.
    Vitamin B1: It is an ingredient necessary for the reaction of energy metabolism. Beside, it reinforces Vitamin B2 (nutrition supply source upon physical fatigue), Vitamin C (it reinforces combined tissue and strengthens skin, bone and blood vessel.
    Vitamin B12: Vitamin B12 is important for the normal functioning of the brain and nervous system and for the formation of blood. It is involved in the metabolism of every cell of the body, especially affecting the DNA synthesis and regulation but also fatty acid synthesis and energy production. Its effects are still not completely known.

Glycine:
    Glycine is an inhibitory neurotransmitter in the central nervous system, especially in the spinal cord, brainstem, and retina.

Tryptophan:
    Tryptophan's ability to increase brain levels of serotonin (a calming neurotransmitter when present in moderate levels) and/or melatonin (a sleep-inducing hormone secreted by the pineal gland in response to darkness or low light levels). Tryptophan has showed considerable promise as an antidepressant. The same thing that causes you to get sleepy after eating turkey. The Pineal gland is what is believed to influence the actions of drugs of abuse such as cocaine and antidepressants such as fluoxetine (Prozac).

Lysine:
    O-Glycosylation of lysine residues in the endoplasmic reticulum or Golgi apparatus is used to mark certain proteins for secretion from the cell.

Phenylalanine:
    Phenylalanine can be converted into tyrosine, another one of the DNA-encoded amino acids. Tyrosine in turn is converted into L-DOPA,
    which is further converted into dopamine.

Tyrosine:
    Tyrosine is a precursor to the thyroid hormones thyroxine and triiodothyronine, the pigment melanin, and the biologically-active catecholamines, dopamine, norepinephrine and epinephrine.

Dopamine:
    Dopamine is a hormone and neurotransmitter occurring in a wide variety of animals, including both vertebrates and invertebrates. Chemically, it is a
    phenethylamine. Dopamine is commonly associated with the pleasure system of the brain, providing feelings of enjoyment and reinforcement to motivate a person proactively to perform certain activities. Dopamine is released (particularly in areas such as the nucleus accumbens and ventral tegmental area) by naturally rewarding experiences such as food, sex, use of certain drugs and neutral stimuli that become associated with them.

Arginine:
    Arginine plays an important role in cell division, the healing of wounds, removing ammonia from the body, immune function, and the release of hormones. Arginine, taken in combination with proanthocyanidins or yohimbine, has also been used as a treatment for erectile dysfunction. Also found in small amounts in some chocolates.

Aspartic acid or aspartate:
    Aspartic Acid stimulates NMDA receptors, though not as strongly as the amino acid neurotransmitter glutamate does. It serves as an excitatory neurotransmitter in the brain and is an excitotoxin. As a neurotransmitter, aspartic acid may provide resistance to fatigue and thus lead to endurance.

Glutamic acid or Glutamate:
    Glutamate is the most abundant fast excitatory neurotransmitter in the mammalian nervous system.

Conclusion:
    Not all protiens in the form of amino acids are good for the body. But since the amount in oysters is low it is probably not responsible for any sexual reactions in the body, unless it is the chemical combination that helps to facilitate a sexual reaction. However, there is no smoking gun in this case. It is intresting to note the behaivors of the broken down parts of the oyster that help in reproduction in the case of hormone production, and development.

Taurine seems particular intresting since it is present in semen. Glycogen is intresting because of its production by the vagina and maybe has some roll in why some woman are affected by eating oysters, even though it is usually men who are affected the most. I believe zinc also plays a very small role in men. I am unsure about woman, other than it helps in maternal matters.

The effect on the nervous system is also a valid subject to discuss, because it is our nervous system that makes us feel what we feel. Many of the compounds in oysters point to increased sensitivity or reactions by the central neverous system. Maybe it is the compounds in oysters that create dopomine in the brain, and in turn create pleasure within our bodies.

Even though I am no scientist, in the end I conclude that I believe that it is a combination of all these things that make the oyster what it is. And in my opinion it is no longer unknown. I conclude that Oysters are definitely a true aphrodisiac.

oregonthunder2, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  2. vibinhari

vibinhari Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ^ way too much to read there... :rolleyes: :D

vibinhari, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  3. homebizseo

homebizseo Peon

Best Answers:
    I do love oysters. I don't know no if oysters are an aphrodisiac but they are a treat in cold weather.

homebizseo, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  4. -webtor-

-webtor- Peon

Best Answers:
    i certainly didn't know that...kinda interesting though. I haven't eaten nor tasted an oyster my whole life!

-webtor-, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  5. happpy

happpy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    same here...

happpy, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  6. dairyman

dairyman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Some of the non vegetarian foods, rich in protein do play a role in augmenting the sexual drive, i.e. acts as aphrodisiac :)

dairyman, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  7. eautocad

eautocad Peon

Best Answers:
    Anyone want fresh oysters? I can get them cheap.. I know a guy in the seafood business---- fresh florida seafood frozen or unfrozen

Then we can cut the oysters with clams and double our money!

eautocad, Sep 24, 2008 IP
  8. raedthakur

raedthakur Peon

Best Answers:
    does oyster really help ...i heard it was a misconception that it is an aphrodisiac

raedthakur, Sep 24, 2008 IP
  9. GhengisKhan

GhengisKhan Banned

Best Answers:
    It's the Zinc. There was some island where the oysters were the only source of zinc, and zinc deficiency causes impotence. So in that location oysters were a true aphrodisiac, but no more. Now they are a placebo and spending big on dinner combined with the excitement of eating a risky dish (if their raw) is all there is to it.

GhengisKhan, Sep 24, 2008 IP
  10. bangalore

bangalore Peon

Best Answers:
    In the right mood and conditions, everything works as aphrodisiac.

bangalore, Sep 24, 2008 IP
  11. Mega B

Mega B Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is eating oyster's the trigger for sex or is it the pearls that they produce that are the attraction !!!

Mega B, Sep 24, 2008 IP
  12. kittyluver

kittyluver Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Even drumstick is having the same effect. So the place where there is non-availability of oysters, we can use drumsticks...

kittyluver, Sep 24, 2008 IP
  13. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I love oysters!

dcristo, Oct 2, 2008 IP
  14. ThisIsOli

ThisIsOli Active Member

Best Answers:
    oysters are meant to work
    but they look disguisting

ThisIsOli, Oct 2, 2008 IP
  15. Project Mobius

Project Mobius Peon

Best Answers:
    lol can someone give me a summary of that essay please? no offense to the OP though :D

Project Mobius, Oct 2, 2008 IP
  16. CPALeadTroy

CPALeadTroy Active Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I'll break it down. Eat an oyster for better sex... the catch is... you have to eat an oyster...

CPALeadTroy, Oct 2, 2008 IP
    dcristo likes this.
  17. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    LOL!!!

Don't just eat it. Devour it :D

dcristo, Oct 2, 2008 IP
  18. Project Mobius

Project Mobius Peon

Best Answers:
    i eat oysters though :confused: what kind of catch is that ? lol

19. donlin

donlin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wonder if you can fry an oyster? thats the only way I could get myself to eat the things.

donlin, Oct 2, 2008 IP
  20. Project Mobius

Project Mobius Peon

Best Answers:
    you can have it cooked if that's what you want, yea i only eat them if they are cooked not raw