1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Overture to Compete With Adsense...Finally?

Discussion in 'Publisher Network' started by chachi, Feb 8, 2005.

1. www.AmCy.org

www.AmCy.org American CyberSpace®

Best Answers:
    I'm as giddy as a school girl to read the news about Yahoo and MSN jumping in. I've grown a bit too dependent on ad-sen_se and that makes me nervous.

The current alternatives to AdSense are quite pitiful. If Yahoo & MSN can do as well as g00gle with content matching, revenue, ease of implementation and consistent payouts then g00gle has reason to sweat. My guess is that lots of publishers will try MSN and Yahoo's new services but will eventually return to g00gle. I don't think that Yahoo or MSN are capable of managing a similar service in a fair and balnaced way. I'll try 'em, but I'm skeptical.

AmCy

www.AmCy.org, Mar 12, 2005 IP
  2. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Google is not alone in this space.

www.targetpoint.com

www.bidvertiser.com

www.bidclix.com

And many others are out there, maybe folks will list more programs that they use right here in this thread :confused: :)

anthonycea, Mar 12, 2005 IP
  3. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    To see Google rivalled is a great thought. However I think they are too far ahead of the compitition. So I think they will always have thier lion's share, they were first to the punch. They are light years ahead of all se's accept MSN and Yahoo, still way ahead of them.

'Google' and 'Search' are synonomious. The idea of direct compitition excites me as I DON'T like the new 'smart pricing' algo. They say it is to protect the advertiser. I participate in both AS and AW and can say on the AS side 'smart pricing' has cut my earnings in 1/2. That being my situation there is still no program available that even comes close. What is up with that? Why have none of the other se's stepped up to the plate sooner.

Homer, Mar 12, 2005 IP
  4. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Homer it is the Google technology that sets them apart as market leader, not the concept of contextual ads on web pages.

Yahoo will be able to match them on the technology, but terms and conditions will keep many from using Yahoo.

The next problem I see is Yahoo and Google favoring their publishers in the SERP's and moving users of the others programs down in the SERP's in an effort to make more money.

This has happened already and is sure to get worse down the road in this search advertising war.

Sad world we live in, but who said business was fair :confused: :)

5. dude17

dude17 Guest

Best Answers:
    Whatever it is...some competition to Adsense is always good..and that coming from another gaint Yahoo is always Welcome with open arms...Yahooooooo :)

dude17, Mar 12, 2005 IP
  6. tomecki

tomecki Peon

Best Answers:
    Google Adsense will have its competition. I hope it will be better (competition) than adwords and overture.
    I think in this way there will be more options of payment than checks :rolleyes: (I don't like it - my check for December was lost by mail).
    In my opinion there should be a lot of Adsense like programs - then there will not be a monopoly.

tomecki, Mar 12, 2005 IP
  7. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    They should allow payment direct to your PayPal account, I agree with that :)

8. www.AmCy.org

Best Answers:
    Have you tried the others? They can't compare. g00gle's "ace in the hole" is their superior content matching to which no other program can compare. Judging by the Yahoo's prototpye ads, I think that the other players may have finally figured out how to get the whole content matching thing going. We'll see.

AmCy

9. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    No one has the ability to spider pages like Google does, but that gap will close soon. :)

I can spider the internet today and so can you with the software that is available today. ;)

Got money, you can do it tommorow. :confused:

10. www.AmCy.org

Best Answers:
    As both an adsense an adwords users, I have no problem with Smart Pricing. With adwords, keywords and keyphrases that were out of the queston before are now doable. And there's been a noticable and pleasant increase in the number of ads I can afford with adwords lately and I like that. Advertisers should pay according to the quality of the clicks. And the fact that g00gle wants to keep their recipes secret is understandable as well. The competition would love to know how g00gle does what they do, and it's g00gle's job to prtect their technologies. I'm in business so I know how that is.

AmCy

11. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Nice post. I guess it's more the AS side that I am not impressed with. You are 100% correct about AW. My main AS money making domain is ranked in the top 3 out of 49,000,000 pages. Ranked in the top 10 in many combinations thereof. We are and industry leader in this keyphrase and have tons of orignal, quality content pages. Google has indexed over 11,000 pages of our site and counting. We play no deceptive SEO tricks, our rankings have been attained naturally, we process 50+ orders each day. I can't comprehend the bottom line. Since Dec 2004 my clicks are double, impressions are 50% greater. The amount I am being payed, per click (EPC), is 50% less. I am certain that I am missing something here (smart pricing) but can't seem to figure it out. :confused:

Many have positive reports as you do. There is an obvious difference between my site and yours as far as how Google applies its smart pricing algo...I wish I knew what it was ;).

AS is a suppliment anyways (to me). So anything made is icing on the cake. Our core business is the product we sell and keeps us profitable. That said I think it is human nature when you get a good stiff of the all mighty green back to want more. Sad but true.

There is no doubt in my mind that AS is the best program on gods green earth. Sometimes I wonder what they are really up to :confused:. When we become successful AS publishers Google knows everything about us...SEO tactics, postioning, traffic levels, etc.

It is no secret that Google has no passion for SEO companies. I just wonder if there is a hidden agendy here :confused:

Anyways, that's my 2 cents. I am going to continue riding the gravy train for now. My word of advice to any AS publisher...

DO NOT BECOME DEPENDANT ON THIS INCOME.

Homer, Mar 12, 2005 IP
  12. www.AmCy.org

Best Answers:
    Yup, and that's scary. Add the fact that I use gmail. g00gle probably knows more about me than I know about myself.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. If AS was my only source of income I would quickly find myself on the street begging for quarters. Don't get me wrong: it's a great program--best in the business. But you'd have to have a mammoth or extremely high traffic website to make a living with AS. Then again, if your site is that big or popular, you'd probably have an ad agency taking care of that side of things.

AmCy

13. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    AOL purchased Advertising.com a while back ;)

http://www.alltheweb.com/search?cat=web&cs=utf8&q=aol+advertising.com&rys=0&_sb_lang=pref

Don't count them out of this game either along with M$ who may buy Bidclix or Targetpoint or someone else with a foothold in the business.

14. www.AmCy.org

Best Answers:
    Yes, but AOL screws up everything, and any company bought by MS is treated like a wayward stepchild. I highly doubt that MS or AOL will be in the running. Yahoo: maybe; I know that I would try a Yahoo alternative before the others. We'll see, I guess.

AmCy

15. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Time Warner cleaned house at AOL, got rid of Steve Case and Richard Parsons is now running the show, he understands what it takes to win.

http://vivisimo.com/search?query=Richard+Parsons&v%3Asources=Web

AOL might just be spun off in a public offering as a separate company soon :cool:

16. www.AmCy.org

Best Answers:
    A wise move on their part. Bite the bullet and move on.

So, AOL back on their own, eh? So what did that whole experiment cost Time Warner? $1 billion? More?

Any relation to Bob Parsons @ GoDaddy?

AmCy

17. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    No Richard Parsons is a Black man.

Ted Turner was the one who lost the most in the deal, that is why Steve Case got fired and put out of the company, Ted Turner fell for his line of BS and lost Billions along with those who bought the stock right after the merger.