1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Overture to Compete With Adsense...Finally?

Discussion in 'Publisher Network' started by chachi, Feb 8, 2005.

Just got a call from a friendly girl over at Overture. It appears they were doing a market survey and wanted to know if we would be interested in using Overture's "Adsense like" system to syndicate advertisements on our sites. Of course, we are not at the level where we can participate in Overture's current system where you have to have something like 2M page views a month. Wouldn't it be nice to see some competition around here? Time for some payback Overture, see what Google did with your pay per click scheme?

chachi, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  2. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Wow - that would be nice! Maybe it would drive up the % publishers get a bit

joeychgo, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  3. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    Overture got squeezed out of the business they essentially created. If I were them, I would be out for blood. Look what Sergey and Co. just made off of their adsense revenues.

chachi, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  4. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    from what I understand google doesn't actually make THAT much (directly) off of adsense. one of the major reasons it does help, though, is to encourage more advertisers to consider adwords since google's essential reach with their ads increased by a ton when they launched adsense

disgust, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  5. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    ? They make just about 50% of their revenues directly from Adsense. But, the point I was making is that Goto/Overture started the whole PPC search engine model. Google, decided to build their own system rather than split their revenues with Overture and that is how they make their money. I think the guys who started Goto, while not unhappy right now, are still shaking their heads thinking they were so close.

The bottom line is that more competition is surely going to be better for publishers.

chachi, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  6. Tuning

Tuning Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Another advantage I can see is those mesothlioma keyword people. Overture still pays >$50 for mesothelioma keywords.

Tuning, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  7. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Overture doesnt even work in my browser (Safari)..Im not holding my breath that many people will switch unless the returns are MUCH better.. might make google consider telling us how much of the pie we are getting though.

Design Agent, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  8. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    well, I think most people that advertise on one, advertise on the other. So, if OV were to come out with some better reporting (ie: tell you where you are making your money and how much the split is), then you would see a lot of people switching or at least trying it out for a while

chachi, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  9. Sanzbar

Sanzbar Peon

Best Answers:
    This could be amazig....I really hope they do this soon.

Sanzbar, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  10. 12FreeForums

12FreeForums Peon

Best Answers:
    I think a 3 way war is on the way. Both google and yahoo know that MSN is bringing out the big guns. Uncle Bill wants to control the whole industry and he won't mind taking a billion dollar loss in the short run to control the industry in the long run. In his head, Google is the next Netscape and everyone was saying the same thing about Microsoft then, Netscape was too strong after the IPO, they were more versatile, Microsoft just knows how to ship software, blah ,blah, blah.

I would expect MSN's version of adsense to hit the web around summer time. If overture chooses to join in then Google will have to step up it's payments.

12FreeForums, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  11. norfstar

norfstar Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd love to see Overture and/or MSN come up with an alternative to AdSense - if nothing else Google may increase the amount they pay publishers to be competitive (direct deposit payments would also be nice).

norfstar, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  12. stephaneggy

stephaneggy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Competition is good:F

stephaneggy, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  13. Josh

Josh Peon

Best Answers:
    Correction, compitition is very good;)

Also, not just for compititon, say you get unfarily banned form Google Adsense - where do you go now? All of the other PPC affiliate programs I've tried either don't pay, the ads load rediculously slow, or they pay very very little. So if you are depending on Adsense and Adsense screws you over you are left out in the cold.

With Yahoo and MSN creating simaler services, you have two other places to go.

Josh

Josh, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  14. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    And with their higher lowest bid, we might see a higher loweest pay-out as well. No more 2ct clicks. And with their bid tool it'd be very easy to find lucrative KWs. (Not that we are in the business of creating purpose built pages for KW ad publishing of course...)

T0PS3O, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  15. Fishing Forum

Fishing Forum Active Member

Best Answers:
    About bloody time

We need at least three good Adsense type programs as one is just no good for the market

Fishing Forum, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  16. 12FreeForums

12FreeForums Peon

Best Answers:
    I would love to see this happen. I think it will happen.

12FreeForums, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  17. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Unless they all share data on this subject, which would leave you in the cold.

Homer, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  18. explorer

explorer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would love to see a bit of competition.

If google, yahoo and msn ads all become available to smaller publishers, I wonder if they will want exclusive contracts with a site?

Google's terms at the moment (if I remember right) prevent you from running similar style text ads on the same page as google ads. Nothing to stop you putting Yahoo ads on a different page of the same site.

It would be interesting to put google ads, yahoo ads and msn ads on different test pages of the same site and try to figure out who's paying out most. ;)

explorer, Feb 12, 2005 IP
  19. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    They did put out notice about this a couple months ago, it is not earth shaking news as there are many contextual advertising programs on the market now and none of us can use them for fear of getting dropped by Google.

So we will have to create sites/pages just to use other programs.

anthonycea, Feb 12, 2005 IP
  20. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    The thread should be revised to read "Yahoo is going to compete with Adsense" as Yahoo is going to retire the Overture name as a brand name.

See the link below for a C-net New article on this subject.

http://news.com.com/Yahoo+seeks+to+expand+in+Google+territory/2100-1024_3-5609792.html?tag=html.alert

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

anthonycea, Mar 12, 2005 IP