1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Overture can be a pain

Discussion in 'Yahoo Search Marketing' started by nextgen66, Mar 15, 2006.

As a relative newbie, this is what I noticed after using both overture and the beta of microsoft adcenter. In summary I think that overture pretty much sucks. The only advantage is bulk adding keywords - adcenter has problems with that...and yes, that is a big deal...

What I don't like about overture -

1) high prices for keywords
    2) long approval process for any changes. Minimum 3 days is crazy
    3) too strict approvals. I have keywords get declined for insufficient content
    when they exactly relate to my sites. This appears to be totally random too; which also is very lame.
    4) low traffic unless you pay through the nose. See point #1
    5) lame payment process. dinging your credit card for a minimum 30 bucks when you get 'low' in funds sucks compared to adcenter, where they just charge your card every now and again for actual click charges.
    SEMrush
    Just my opinion, for whatever its worth :)

nextgen66, Mar 15, 2006 IP
    SEMrush
  2. vlad7

vlad7 Peon

Best Answers:
    When I created my account with them my keywords were approved within a few hours. Any modification after that took 2-3 days. Ridiculous!

I would add this:

6) There is no a "display url" option.

vlad7, Mar 16, 2006 IP
  3. Kendothpro

Kendothpro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Definitely worse than adwords but if you're looking for more volume and your ROI is good it's better than nothing :)

Kendothpro, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  4. broke-r

broke-r Peon

Best Answers:
    "too strict approvals. I have keywords get declined for insufficient content
    when they exactly relate to my sites. This appears to be totally random too; which also is very lame"

Number three is the worst for me. And it happens all the time!

broke-r, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  5. Roxyyo

Roxyyo Peon

Best Answers:
    You forgot time-outs :(

As much of a hassle as Overture can be, it does do very well for certain industries, particularly ones aimed at teenagers or seniors.

Roxyyo, Mar 21, 2006 IP
    eves likes this.
  6. maildeepak

maildeepak Peon

Best Answers:
    thanx roxyyo...that is is a point i will note down immediately...

*Deepak dashing off to clickbank and cj.com to check out aff. progs. aiming at the above segments* :p

maildeepak, Mar 22, 2006 IP
  7. maildeepak

maildeepak Peon

Best Answers:
    i agree with you 100000%....without a display url...it is very tough for me to run ads on affiliate marketing, since the destination url clearly shows it up...:mad:

hope yahoo implements this facility at the earliest...

8. maildeepak

maildeepak Peon

Best Answers:
    regarding your points 1 and 4, i may have to disagree with you...

it is not for all the markets this point can be valid...i identified 4 niche industries two days back, where the search count is in 1000's but not even a single ad...right now i am searching for a profitable aff. prog. for those niches...;)

regarding the approval process..yes.that really bugs up man. because of this time consuming process, it is very much difficult to do split testing like we do in adwords.

on the subject of approvals, the funniest part is i had a campaign of 75 misspelled keywords...with all sorts of combinations taken from good keywords..and i was the only advertiser for all the 75 keywords...very happily bid 0.10$...and wham......after 3 days yahoo replied saying that out of the 75 only 43 are approved and the remaining 32 are not approved.....now how is that....:(

just my thoughts...i believe there were some serious threads going on in Search engine world regarding the issues of Yahoo PPC....and i dont think yahoo gave a hoot abt it...:mad:

9. eves

eves Peon

Best Answers:
    and you can imagine my shock when i asked them how can i choose to target US visitors only cause my ads were getting clicked from canada and uk, and they said "you cant"

eves, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  10. jawinn

jawinn Active Member

Best Answers:
    Amen, Amen, Amen to all the negative comments above. I forgot how much I hated Overture until I came back to it a few days ago on the advice of a friend. I was about to start my own rant thread but I’ll add to this one.

I had an account with Overture a while back. I eventually stopped using it to move on to other projects. That was about five months ago. When I came back my account login still worked and there was about $30 in my account. I added new ads and more money for my new project. Of course a bunch of ads were rejected for no good reason; but some were approved. Yeah.

Here’s where I about punch through my monitor. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to turn my account back “on”. I must have turned it off so not to waste any more money with them; but now I want to use them again and I cannot turn my ads back on. I tried adjusting my daily budget down to almost nothing but still the radio button is grayed out. I email their support center.

Side note add to the list: 7. No phone support to compensate for the program’s many flaws. They used to have phone support but yanked it a while ago.

I thought I had made my issue clear in my email that I just wanted to turn my account on and run with the ads that had been approved. This is what they sent me back:

Dear Jason,

Thank you for submitting your Sponsored Search listing request. We have
    processed your request and have listed the results below.

For detailed information regarding your submission, please visit the
    Editorial Status within your account
    (https://secure.overture.comxxxxxxxxxxxxx).

If you have Receipt IDs with pending listings, you will receive further
    notification when those listings have been processed.

Account ID: xxxxxxxxxx
    Account Name: My Account

Approved Search Listings: 5
    Declined Search Listings: 0
    Pending Search Listings: 2

Please do not respond directly to this e-mail because we are unable to
    receive e-mail responses to this address. If you would like to contact
    us remember to use the Support Request Form, a link to which is found
    at the bottom of nearly all pages within your account
    (https://secure.overture.comxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).

* To assist you with getting your search listings online, we may revise
    the title(s) and/or description(s) of some listings to help you to
    comply with our Listing Guidelines.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Customer
    Solutions using our Support Request form as noted above.

Thank you for choosing Yahoo! Search Marketing as your partner!

Sincerely,

Your Partners at Yahoo! Search Marketing

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

The worst part about this crap response is that it took almost two days to get it back. Now I have to email them again and hope they understand my question. All I have to say is thank god for Google Adwords. Much easier to use and way more features.

jawinn, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  11. TCR

TCR Peon

Best Answers:
    On the 'ACCOUNT SUMMARY ' page, there is a box on the right side. Near the bottom of that box, it should say 'ACCOUNT: OFF'. Just click it and choose the 'ON' radio button, then 'SUBMIT'.

NOTE: If you want to use the rest of the funds in your account and do not want your card to be charged once you hit the '3 day' minimum of remaining funds, then call them and change to a PRE PAY ACCOUNT.

I do not reccomend this because they disable the budgeting feature when you do and end up spening more money, as you can not accurately control your spending by flipping the account 'ON/OFF'.

The phone number is 1-866-YAHOO-SM (1-866-924-6676).

Hope this help a bit.

TCR, Apr 7, 2006 IP