1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Outbound Links

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by TopSpin, Sep 8, 2004.

What impact (if any) do outbound links have on your SEO?

For example, if I create outbound links to the top 3 listed sites for a particular keyword - does that help my page? Or is it only the inbound links that help?

Thanks in advance.
    SEMrush

TopSpin, Sep 8, 2004 IP
    SEMrush
  2. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I haven't heard of an advantge being gained this way before.

However, it is good for the internet and your visitors if you link to on topic stuff. Ipso facto, it should help.

Dominic, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  3. xml

xml Peon

Best Answers:
    "I create outbound links to the top 3 listed sites for a particular keyword"

If your targetting that 'particular keyword' then chances are you will never get to numero uno.

xml, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  4. Catfish

Catfish Peon

Best Answers:
    Who you link to is important but even more important is who links to you, with what anchor text and what anchor text do you have on your page.

Catfish, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  5. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    i doubt this matters to sites like google. But lots of good links may get your more visitors, and your affiliate programs can branch from there.

david_sakh, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  6. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It will be interesting to hear how you go with this - let us know.

Dominic, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  7. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Outbound links to 'authoritative' sites can be of definite advantage.

Remember too that a keyphrase or word may only be indicative of a particular topic, so simply linking to the top results for your keyword/phrase is not necessarily the way to go.

(I suppose my approach is to find which DMOZ category the top ranking sites for your keyphrase are in, and search from there).

Another way to look at it is simply this. If you link to known quantities that are on topic, then you're helping your audience find what they want.

It's an added bonus. But then, remember inbound links from relevant sites remain the most important aspect of off page SEO.

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  8. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Not true David

Go and do a search on the digitalpoint famous "weber bbqs"

There you will see DP at 4 and 5 but it has been at 1+2 and has been at the top since April

The latest post that I placed on this forum is now the main listing and only has OBLs [as well as the others]

What has happened recently [since Feb], and I have not seen or discussed anything to the contrary, is that Google has altered the balance between IBLs and OBLs so that OBLs carry more weight particularly it seems on a dynamic site

With

Foxy, Sep 9, 2004 IP