1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

OSX vs. Vista

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mark123456, Sep 8, 2007.

With all of the recent failings of Vista, is anyone else here considering switching to OSX?? Yesterday I took a look at my friend's Mac and was quite surprised by the experience, which was a lot more positive than I expected. I will now take a serious look at crossing platforms, how about you guys?

mark123456, Sep 8, 2007 IP
  2. live-cms_com

live-cms_com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Not at all.

live-cms_com, Sep 8, 2007 IP
    adaykin likes this.
  3. gweb

gweb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I hate Macs... OSX is a solid OS and should be respected but for the most part I dont like my experience on Apple's - Ive been through three and never again - its a myth they dont crash.. they do! They are underpowered for the money too.. although they are getting more affordable year on year..

MS aint great: XP Vista; but its better the devil you know as far as Im concerned!

gweb, Sep 8, 2007 IP
  4. mark123456

mark123456 Peon

Best Answers:
    that's true...but his mac was pretty stable and ran as fast as my vista machine (they're spec'd similar) and it was a lot less annoying to run.

5. gweb

gweb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well is MS dont do something drastic with their next OS, Apple are going to keep eating away at the PC market definetly... not a bad thing but I just hate steve Jobs...

gweb, Sep 8, 2007 IP
  6. cool_78

cool_78 Guest

Best Answers:
    Mac's are nice but I am a pc user ever since I started so I am still sticking with MS.

cool_78, Sep 8, 2007 IP
  7. terminator69

terminator69 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Main reason i hate macs is they are extremely hard to upgrade.

terminator69, Sep 8, 2007 IP
  8. veckd

veckd Peon

Best Answers:
    My experiences on different macs have all been great. I've had a mac for about 5 months now and it hasn't crahsed once. Also it runs about twice as fast as my windows based computer. I love it.

veckd, Sep 8, 2007 IP
  9. logylaps

logylaps Active Member

Best Answers:
    I dual boot windows vista on my mac. Vista is seriously lacking, but good enough to play some halo :p

logylaps, Sep 8, 2007 IP
  10. adaykin

adaykin Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been running vista for 9 months now, and the only times I've had crashes have been a handful of times when I've been running games playing over the internet with other programs open as well.

Vista has solid software, the shell is very user friendly and intuitive, and has solid hardware, and hardware recognition. Those reasons alone are why it is the most productive if you want to do programming, graphics, and media all from the same OS.

adaykin, Sep 8, 2007 IP
  11. techpr

techpr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If Apple releases a standard alone OS-X for PC yes!!! I will switch in a second. I don't like Vista and I don't see installing it anytime. I use Ubuntu Linux in 2 home PC's and works very well. Seems like XP will be the last Windows OS in my PC's.

techpr, Sep 8, 2007 IP
  12. Divisive Cottonwood

Divisive Cottonwood Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're really serious about graphics work then buy and use a Mac.

But for most people's uses a PC will do fine.

Divisive Cottonwood, Sep 8, 2007 IP
  13. mark123456

mark123456 Peon

Best Answers:
    is there anything that Macs don't do that PCs do?

14. techpr

techpr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you can do anything on a mac right now.

techpr, Sep 8, 2007 IP
  15. gweb

gweb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why??? This is a myth!! I work in the media world and yes there are many MACs but when you get to the REAL hi end stuff, its always PC - you need to be able to swap hardware and have full control over your computer... I think that OSX is good but MACs in general are underpowered and overpriced.. I've been through three and I wouldnt bother again.. I think MS will do what needs to be done in their next OS or maybe apple will allow OSX on normal PCs.....

gweb, Sep 8, 2007 IP
  16. dturnbull

dturnbull Guest

Best Answers:
    I am actually getting an iMac at the end of this year. I could get one now, but I'm an impulse buyer, so I'll wait.

iMac's have actually fair pricing. For $3300 AUD you get a 2.8GHZ C2D, 24" Screen, 2GB Ram, 500GB HD and the benefits of OSX.

With my current gaming PC, it cost me $3000 AUD and I got 2.4GHZ C2D, 2GB Ram, 8800GTX, 320GB HD, without a screen included.

Their notebooks are pricey, but their iMacs are comparable to PC hardware prices, with the added bonus of using OSX and being able to run Windows on it if need be.

dturnbull, Sep 8, 2007 IP
  17. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Vista vs Leapard is the proper question. I've been keeping an open mind about Mac latly and the other day when I decided to really give it a try I found out that allot of what people had said were false while some of it was true.

In terms of graphics that myth is false. Macs are no better at graphics then Windows. Of course all graphic programs advertise their programs on Macs but check the major players in the graphic industry (Adobe Macromedia, AutoDesk Alias, Avid) and ask them which platform they sell most of their prodecuts for. They will tell you its Microsoft and now Apple. Even in the industry its the same thing. Most of the graphic industry (gams, movies, music) uses Microsoft systems over Apple.

worldman, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  18. mark123456

mark123456 Peon

Best Answers:
    my only problem with mac is the useful little apps people write for windows and linux that don't come with macs.

mark123456, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  19. nofullstop

nofullstop Peon

Best Answers:
    I wrote a article comparing vista and mac.. do have a look at it..

sorry I am not posting live links here..

nofullstop.com/2007/05/31/mac-os-x-vs-windows-vista-the-battle-continues/

by the way I will forever prefer windows over mac. Its much easier that way. But I love to experiment with other OSs too!

nofullstop, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  20. comboy

comboy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think MAC is not better then windows. But windows copy many idea from Apple. But which is better depends on your requirements.

comboy, Sep 9, 2007 IP