1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

oscommerce, i thought it was just install and go

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by devin, Mar 15, 2006.

where can i read tutorial for total beginners? the ones i find through G assumes you know something about MySQL and what not.

i just want to sell things...:(:(

devin, Mar 15, 2006 IP
  2. Matts

Matts Berserker

Best Answers:
    You might want to Google oscommerce hosting, and find a host that does all of the setup for you. Besides mysql, there's php code you need to configure. If that's not something your familiar with, then it seems to me the best solution is a oscommerce hosting provider.

Matts, Mar 15, 2006 IP
  3. keliix06

keliix06 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can also find any host that offers cPanel and Fantastico. You can get osCommerce installed in a few clicks with Fantastico.

keliix06, Mar 15, 2006 IP
    Matts likes this.
  4. Lubby

Lubby Peon

Best Answers:
    He may mean that its complicated to setup after install. However quite a bit of configuration is done in install with Fantastico, so if you aren't using that maybe it would be helpful.

Lubby, Mar 15, 2006 IP
  5. devin

devin Guest

Best Answers:
    i installed oscommerce from fantastico. setting up a store from there is the problematic part.

devin, Mar 15, 2006 IP
  6. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    From there on you don't need any PHP/MySQL knowledge unless you want to add contributions or modify the lot.

What do you need done?

oscommerce.info and the forums are a good resource. If you start hacking it, make sure to use osdox.

T0PS3O, Mar 16, 2006 IP
  7. devin

devin Guest

Best Answers:
    i'm not too sure. :eek: the interface and terms are so overwhelming i don't know where to start. i'll check out the link you gave first, maybe they have things i need there. :)

devin, Mar 16, 2006 IP
  8. 4uu.net

4uu.net Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think that oscommerce is for total beginners and for those who "just want to sell things" ... I would recommend to use some of these providers with ready-to-go-shops .. or maybe shopping.yahoo .. or ebay depends on the products you want to sell ...

kind regards from Vienna

Andreas.

4uu.net, Mar 16, 2006 IP
  9. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I'm 14 months into developing osCommerce, at time with teams of 5 coders... Still not all on my wish list is done :D

So yeah, I agree, it's not for complete non-coders if you don't like the stock-installation.

T0PS3O, Mar 16, 2006 IP
  10. Discreet

Discreet Guest

Best Answers:
    devin - you may want to just invest the money to hire somebody to customize the software for you.

I, for example, such at building good templates into it. But I have a guy that does beautiful website designs and templates and it's quite affordable ($200-$300 depending on the design).

Discreet, Mar 16, 2006 IP