1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Orangewebhosting.net reviews

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by st_jimi, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Definitely true.

He was online and didn't reply to us, it would be nice to at least be given an update.

Colleen, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  2. Mr.Bill

Mr.Bill Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I know this probably wont be of much comfort however he was on vacation and had a support company handling things while he was away so keep that in mind he seems to have tried to make sure everything was looked after in his absence and they have dropped the ball although he will take the blame. I am sure he will get to everyone when he has things sorted out.

Both the servers I have through him are still running fine so this seems like it was isolated to the server you all share. Keep the faith he hasn't let me down and I am sure he wont let any of you down.

Mr.Bill, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  3. Derrick_KL

Derrick_KL Peon

Best Answers:
    Well you wouldn't think you need a backup the day after you move your host there. Its only a couple of days, but thats thousands of posts we're talking about. Very valuable stuff. Thats not the only beef I have.

How about the lack of emergency contact, and the succession of "gays" as his contact information? Somebody explain this to me? Sounds like a kid who bought a reseller and is reselling to me.

AND TO TOP IT ALL OFF, like Colleen said, he was on earlier, and no update. What kind of host is he?

Derrick_KL, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  4. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I understand, I have been there multiple times but if it's that valuable you should #1 be keeping backups yourself, #2 not be trusting it to a shared server.

You honestly have no recourse in almost all cases, hosts terms are laid out to state as much. Guess it depends on the agreement/terms the host has, even in that event hopefully the lesson you learned will be worth the weight in the lost posts ;)

GRIM, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  5. Derrick_KL

Derrick_KL Peon

Best Answers:
    Understandable, but not for nothing, I make a backup once a day. I get close to maybe 2000 new posts every day (gaming community). Thats ALOT of posts down the drain, whether I can make them up or not. I work all day, I can't spend my days backing up 12 times every day.

I say it again, he's showing no professionalism with his silly contact information and not reply to this post while online. I suspect me pointing out the contact information had something to do with his lack of update, but you know what? GET ON THE BALL kid. I'm perfectly willing to host with you, but there better be a good explanation.

6. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Not to take away from the thread, and or possible fault of the host. However IMO you really should look into a dedicated server if you're getting that kind of traffic/posts. ;)

You can also setup via chron and ftp to auto backup your sites...

GRIM, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  7. Derrick_KL

Derrick_KL Peon

Best Answers:
    I have multiple dedicated servers. They run game servers, and redirects. They all pay for themselves in revenue I get from Adsense.

I have 70gb disk space and 700gb of bandwidth with orangewebhosting, only for a forum, and my personal blog. Theres no reason I'd need any more than that.

As for the chron/ftp for auto backup, I am going to confess, I don't really know how to do that. If somebody could walk me through that or point me to somewhere with some kind of guide, I'd appreciate it greatly.

8. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you used WHM/Cpanel it's very easy.

I have my servers auto backup to one of my servers with a spare hard drive ;)

GRIM, Apr 4, 2008 IP
    Colleen likes this.
  9. Derrick_KL

Derrick_KL Peon

Best Answers:
    Anywhere I could read up on how to do that??

10. st_jimi

st_jimi Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi first of all Id like to apologize for not responding erlier i only come on here to make advertisment threads and someone had to point me to this post.

first id like to explain the downtime

We had corrupt os files on our primary hardrive our tech has told us this was down to people hosting proxies on our non proxy server as apache wasnt configured to handle them proply, the corrupt data files caused the hardrives to fail, usually we can have the server up after a reboot when this happens because of the raid config, we just switch master drives, but due to the corrupt data being mirrored this wasnt possible, we make backups of your data on a seperate server at the dc every 6 hours the last back up made was of corrupt data and then was mirrored again on the server. At the time i was away from the computer we had paid a server managment company to answer tickets and monitor the server but it being a indian based company they took our money and ran at the first site of trouble. I managed to acess my email on my pda see the error emails and contact the dc who managed to send one of our hard drives get the data recovered and managed to retrive 99% of our data. All account are running on a similar server to what we were originally running, and we are now transferring customer data to a larger more powerfull server, and are upgrading our raid configs back up systems.

As for the whois data i was surprised about that, this is down to when we purchased the domain off the previous owner, we asumed the whois would have updated to our info but namecheap now tell us this isnt a automatic process it is now updated,

Due to the downtime we broke our sla which we unconditionally apologize for we have no excuse for it, we will be happy to give people a 50% discount on the next invoice with us.

We would also like to remind customer while we do make backups of your data we recomend you make your own off site backups either on your own computer or on one of our backup plans

as for the claims im 16 :confused: is a bit funny im 19 (20) in august and fully graduated from www.lcse.co.uk on the advanced networking and got bsc in IT

Any further questions feel free to ask us

st_jimi, Apr 6, 2008 IP
  11. Colleen

Best Answers:
    st_jimi, if your age is incorrect, you may want to change it in your forum profile then, that's where we see "16". ;)

Colleen, Apr 6, 2008 IP
  12. tangqing

tangqing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "Due to the downtime we broke our sla which we unconditionally apologize for we have no excuse for it, we will be happy to give people a 50% discount on the next invoice with us."

today i paid my billing #349 and not get 50% discount !why???

Invoice # Invoice Date Due Date Total
    349 06/04/2008 05/04/2008 $3.95 USD(not $1.98)

tangqing, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  13. Derrick_KL

Derrick_KL Peon

Best Answers:
    It was back up, now its down again. I suggest you stop hosting proxies.

It was working fine, I was exploring my website forums, and all of a sudden an SQL error. So I thought, okay, I'll fix it, but I can't get into cPanel. OR WHM.

This is getting very annoying:/

I know its on your side.

Derrick_KL, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  14. Robert_M

Robert_M Banned

Best Answers:
    Seems like there's a lot from this host to fix the problems from their customers. LOL. :)

Robert_M, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  15. Colleen

Best Answers:
    You should check out the two hosts I told you about via PM, also, I found a great third host ( I like to have three ) but it's too soon to give an accurate review on that one.

Colleen, Apr 7, 2008 IP
    GRIM likes this.
  16. Derrick_KL

Derrick_KL Peon

Best Answers:
    It was back up (again). Now its down (again, again).

I'm going to assume his datacenter exploded.

EDIT: Thank GOD I took a backup to a remote ftp server beforehand. Like 5 minutes before. Phew!

17. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Any chance you're seeing propagation issues?

GRIM, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  18. Derrick_KL

Derrick_KL Peon

Best Answers:
    ?

Am I missing something?

19. Derrick_KL

Derrick_KL Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm bordering on angry now, and almost at pissed off.

Its totally down now.

20. Mr.Bill

Mr.Bill Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dude is it just one proxy?
    If so I will give you an account tell he sorts your server issue. Like I said before both of mine are up and running fine. check surfunblocked.com

Mr.Bill, Apr 7, 2008 IP