1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Oracle VS MySQL

Discussion in 'MySQL' started by JakeCohen, Feb 18, 2008.

I know that Oracle is something that large companies use because it has more options. However MySQL is quickly rising up the ranks. Do you think that a few years from now, large companies will start using MySQL more then Oracle?

JakeCohen, Feb 18, 2008 IP
  2. elgourmet

elgourmet Guest

Best Answers:
    nah, i think the "market share" of oracle will pretty much remain the same. as you just mentioned, oracle has more options and is a "heavier" software than mysql.

elgourmet, Feb 18, 2008 IP
  3. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    A lot of data mining tools have built in support for the big 3 of Oracle, DB2 and SQL Server. To have any chance for MySQL to be added as a major contender for a non-IT company or none start up they will need to get the Business/ Financial Intelligence tools to start creating built in support.

Of cause the other thing to remember is that MySQL Enterprise is not free of charge (dont know if it is full open source or not either) and whilst it is cheaper than the other three when you look at large company budgets the pricing difference is unlikely to be a deciding factor

AstarothSolutions, Feb 19, 2008 IP
  4. kvaes

kvaes Peon

Best Answers:
    MySQL still has a lot of ground to cover to be come an equivalent of an oracle, where the management features are much mature:
    - High Availability : the RAC setup is better than the MySQL counterpart (which still relies on a master/slave concept if I'm not mistaken)
    - Transactions : Oracle's transaction system is -pretty decent- (maybe an understatement) where it depends on your engine for MySQL
    - Flashback/Undo/ArchiveLogs : Oracle has more features to go to a given point in time (rollback/forward)

But... Sun has recently bought MySQL, they might help MySQL to become more attractive to the Enterprise environment.

"Use it for the area it's good for..."
    - Small projects -> mysql
    - Large projects -> oracle

kvaes, Feb 19, 2008 IP
  5. amnezia

amnezia Peon

Best Answers:
    I work for a large company, we use both mysql and oracle. It depends what you're using it for.

amnezia, Feb 19, 2008 IP
  6. JakeCohen

JakeCohen Peon

Best Answers:
    I see... I wonder if MySQL will be used more in the future. Because it seems to me that Oracle is aging because it has been out for so long. What's the price difference for the Enterprise version? Also does Oracle work with web apps as well and MySQL does?

JakeCohen, Feb 19, 2008 IP
  7. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    Almost any db will work with almost any programing languages but there are natural bedfellows like PHP/MySQL or .Net/SQL Server.

You can see the licensing fees for mysql on their site.

8. JakeCohen

JakeCohen Peon

Best Answers:
    I see. But I still have the feeling the MySQL is going to introduce more features that either cover what Oracle can already do or even does more.

I think that Oracle is the past, and MySQL is the future! What do you think?

JakeCohen, Feb 19, 2008 IP
  9. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    Oracle isnt the past, it is very much alive. What will be interesting is to see how the free version impacts its user base. It historically has been very much the reserve of large businesses and missed out on the whole web thing but this may change with Lite having been released.

MySQL does as well as it is because of the tie in with PHP more than because it is actually a good db system... the older versions were really fairly poor if people were to be honest when it came to anything more than a hobby site or SME setup. It is going to take a lot for "serious" developers take it as a real contender in large systems though it is a matter of waiting to see what Sun do with it.

10. amnezia

amnezia Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you don't know much about oracle

amnezia, Feb 20, 2008 IP
  11. shenron

shenron Notable Member

Best Answers:
    My company develops Java solutions based on Mysql for Huge databases and Mysql outperforms Oracle there, of course we've optimized it, but then again I believe that in most cases Mysql will fit your needs.

shenron, Feb 20, 2008 IP
  12. northwest

northwest Peon

Best Answers:
    More than 60% of industries are using Oracle. It is not the past. I have been an Oracle DBA, architect and PM for a while now. It is just that Oracle is trying to focus on CRM, ERP and other things. The reason Oracle has strong reputation in the market is not because of its CRM, ERP and other things but it is because it's rock solid database.

northwest, Feb 20, 2008 IP
  13. roxite

roxite Peon

Best Answers:
    oracle is a huge player in the database market
    mySQL wont be able to overtake them

roxite, Feb 20, 2008 IP
  14. SinanCan

SinanCan Peon

Best Answers:
    mySQL wont be able to overtake them

SinanCan, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  15. webvigor

webvigor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What Oracle has? Only good front end and IDE. Regarding database functions, both have the same functions.

webvigor, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  16. JakeCohen

JakeCohen Peon

Best Answers:
    So I hear how all of you are talking about the fact the Oracle has a solid DB, but I just have a feeling that in the near future, MySQL will overtake them.

JakeCohen, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  17. webvigor

webvigor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have got an email from sun development community in which it was declared that MySql is being purchased by them. IMO that will have a positive effect on MySql.

webvigor, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  18. able

able Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the most intresting question is, what is oracle going to do with inno db?

Oracle now owns Inno DB - the main transactional engine within MySQL.

able, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  19. jasondavis

jasondavis Peon

Best Answers:
    interesting I was researching both a couple months back and realized mysql can do pretty much everything oracle can, look at facebook's traffic too and they are using mysql I believe

jasondavis, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  20. northwest

northwest Peon

Best Answers:
    Oracle has several levels of data security, options, grains of performance options, data integrity and so on. There are way too many options. I love MYSQL but this is good for e-commerce sites and many other things. Comparing Oracle and MYSQL features and capabilities is not comparing apples to apples.

A few years back there was a report on the best DBs based on performance, scalability, reliability etc. The ranking were:

1. DB-2
    2. Oracle
    3. SQL Server
    4. Sybase

Ranking based on usability, customizability for reporting, general liking, # sales etc.:

1. Oracle
    2. DB-2
    3. SQL Server
    4. Sybase

MYSQL is treated as a “lovable” database that is used for smaller applications like change management database, project tracking database, configuration management etc.. People just love MYSQL

Oracle is in a different league. In terms security, performance, data integrity, scalability etc. It has a powerful procedural language PL/SQL that has many built-in functions for OLTPs, data warehouses, data mines, OLAP, job scheduling, Messaging, emails, RAC (Real Application Clusters), performance tuning hints, Wait interface tuning, object oriented design etc. Some of these features are out of scope for this discussion. The other database in this league would be DB-2.

Important: If you don’t need these advanced features, then it is waste of money to pay for these. It is best to use MYSQL database.

Sybase was the best probably 15 years back. That’s why many financial institutions started using this. For a large company it is too much effort to change the database to something else and that’s why they just stuck to Sybase. Also, there’s job security thing – many of the top Sybase technical experts do not want to lose their jobs or put an effort on something other database when they have another 10 years of their careers left.

northwest, Feb 25, 2008 IP